Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Are you open with friends and acquaintances on your alcoholism?

Notices

Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If someone offers you a drink, do you say: "I don't drink, I'm an alcoholic." I am newly sober and I am very fearful of turning down drinks. Why does this bother me so much? Does this bother anyone else? If I go over to someone's house, they open a beer and then ask me if I want one and I refuse, I feel like I am being rude.

I just want to yell out to the world, I AM AN ALCOHOLIC! DON'T EVER OFFER ME A DRINK AGAIN!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No. I don't tell anyone. And, no, I don't accept a drink. I found that nobody cares. If they thought about it, they'd probably admire you for forgoing alcohol. I think you can let that worry go. How's it going?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, my recovery is a personal journey.

If offered a drink, I say, 'No thanks' and no need to offer any explanation.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Icewater15 View Post
If someone offers you a drink, do you say: "I don't drink, I'm an alcoholic."
No, I just say, "No thanks."

If you are fearful of turning down the offer of a drink, avoid those situations at all costs. Avoid drinkers and drinking, at least in the beginning, even if they are friends and family.

When you get some sober time under your belt, you will manage those invites to drink much easier and with a firm "No thanks."
Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just say, "no thanks, I don't drink" and rarely is anything said about it. You owe no explanations. Just a polite 'no thanks' is all that's needed.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find 'no thanks' works better

D
Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think (when I actually get out there again) that I'll share that I'm an alcoholic. But I do think it will be important for me to say up front "I don't drink." Otherwise I know people will just keep asking me if I only say "no thanks."
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just say," no thanks". A few weeks ago I attended a gathering and the host must have offered me a glass of wine 4 or 5 times. It started to bother me. I'm thinking what's wrong with the guy? How many times do I have to say no? I thought maybe he has a drinking problem. Anyway, the thought of saying.
" I'm an alcoholic." entered my mind. I looked around the room and felt really stressed about it. He stopped asking at that moment and he didn't ask me again. I felt like my guardian angel stepped in.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nope. "No thanks" is great. If people are going to be persistent, I have also used:

1. I am exhausted. Alcohol is going to knock me out.
2. I am on a cleanse.
3. I need to hydrate first. (People forget and never bug you again.)

Personally, I hate drawing attention to the fact that I don't drink, because I don't like getting grilled by the people in the room with an unchecked drinking problem. I was trapped in a bar with in-laws one night last summer and my alcoholic father-in-law handed me a can of Heineken. I walked to the bathroom, dumped it out, and carried around the can for the rest of the night. It's not ideal or recommended, but drinking taught most of us how to be sneaky. I figure may as well use it to my advantage in difficult circumstances.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you believe you're being rude maybe try, "nah, I'm ok, but a water / tea / coffee / coke would be great if you have one". They still get to play the good host, and you don't feel guilty.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like Anna, I feel this is a personal journey and not one I want to discuss with just anyone. That's why I'm here-because you folks can understand this issue better than anyone, and I don't feel judged here.

So, I just say no thanks. And if drinks are part of the scene, there's always club soda around. Since I'm working on improving my eating habits, nobody thinks much of my new drink choice. It all fits together.

Delfin
Old 08-15-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have noticed the people I am around and offer me anything and I say no thanks almost everyone will say they understand why. They knew. I had blinders on.