Notices

Emotions early recovery

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions early recovery

Im on day 12 mostly my mood has been on the up but just recently Im experiencing episodes of feeling quite low for no particular reason, saturday I had a fantastic day then burst into tears and I didnt know why. Today I woke up feeling fine and normal now Im feeling low and again I dont know why Im feeling this way? Nothings triggered me, ive taken my anti-ds and vitamin suppliments as normal... I dont understand my low mood. Can any one relate or possibly know why?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Early sobriety is like a rollercoaster there will be good and bad days but your doing excellent on day 12 blueberry it will get easier hang in there and keep on keeping on
Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Early sobriety is like a rollercoaster there will be good and bad days but your doing excellent on day 12 blueberry it will get easier hang in there and keep on keeping on
Thank you x Need to shift this low mood I may go for a walk get some fresh air x
Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

A walk always does me good in fact im going to take my dog out for his afternoon walk your doing amazing blueberry
Old 08-03-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

for me.... the first 12 MONTHS of recovery were emotionally volatile.

I worked alongside of my recovery in therapy that was aimed just at learning to live, to explore my emotions, my perspective, my life's history.

In therapy, I rarely if ever even mentioned alcohol or addiction. While my therapist was aware - my focus was purely on my emotional growth and development, my self-esteem, anxiety, memories, relationships, the General Stuff Of Life.

Sometimes I think we get so focused on not drinking and fail to focus on learning the critical skills of Simply Living.

I found therapy and emotional exploration for its own sake to be tremendously rewarding - and it helped reinforce my sobriety.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Two weeks is awesome, but extremely early in the recovery journey.

You are bound to have a lot of ups and downs. For those down periods, crying is good. Surrender to the emotions. One thing about sobriety, we have to get used to "feeling" and not escaping our reactions to our feelings--the good ones and the not-so-good ones.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you x For those that did therapy did you do counselling or cbt?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Thank you x For those that did therapy did you do counselling or cbt?
little of both, plus group therapy
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate. I have depression and some days I just wake up low for no reason. I think it's hormonal or due to lack of sleep. Praying you feel better soon! ❤️
Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My emotions were up and down, numbed out or too strong until about 4 months. I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I have read about it taking a year for others. As a woman it also took a while for me to figure out what was related to PMS and what wasn't it. It had been so long since I'd gone through a menstrual cycle alcohol free. I'm at 8 months and most days are very good now.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just went for a short walk in an open field not a soul insight. I took my shoes off and done some grounding (walking barefoot on the grass) and a meditation by an old old tree - sounds new age I know I am a bit of a hippy chick after all but by god did it work! Feeling better x
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Two weeks is awesome, but extremely early in the recovery journey.

You are bound to have a lot of ups and downs. For those down periods, crying is good. Surrender to the emotions. One thing about sobriety, we have to get used to "feeling" and not escaping our reactions to our feelings--the good ones and the not-so-good ones.
Good advice Carl. The depression after physical withdrawal sent me into tailspin.I was used to the anxiety of hangovers and drinking to stop the anxiety temporarily, but the drinking was numbing depression too apparently , and when hit with it I caved. The question is.. Is this just normal "down" that a nondrinker copes with in other ways and we hit the bottle because we were numbing before, or is it a medical condition needing treatment and when treated will help with sobriety? Thats an individual scenario best determined by therapist or doctor I think. My doctor just told me to exercise, but not everyone can do that for as long as it's recommended, so im going to an addiction counselor Wednesday, not sure of her approach..

Blueberry I will report after the appt. Trying everything this time, keeping what resonates. Such as blathering here when waking up with the morning anxiety again, like now. Blue if you have any bend toward mindfulness/meditation .. belleruth naparstek has nice guided imagery on youtube for depression.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Good advice Carl. The depression after physical withdrawal sent me into tailspin.I was used to the anxiety of hangovers and drinking to stop the anxiety temporarily, but the drinking was numbing depression too apparently , and when hit with it I caved. The question is.. Is this just normal "down" that a nondrinker copes with in other ways and we hit the bottle because we were numbing before, or is it a medical condition needing treatment and when treated will help with sobriety? Thats an individual scenario best determined by therapist or doctor I think. My doctor just told me to exercise, but not everyone can do that for as long as it's recommended, so im going to an addiction counselor Wednesday, not sure of her approach..

Blueberry I will report after the appt. Trying everything this time, keeping what resonates. Such as blathering here when waking up with the morning anxiety again, like now. Blue if you have any bend toward mindfulness/meditation .. belleruth naparstek has nice guided imagery on youtube for depression.
Thank you x ive made some enquiries for recovery therapy seeing doc tomorrow too so i'll have a chat with her too.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

First off, congrats on 12 days! That's amazing.

I'm at day 88 now and I would say it's only in the last seven to ten days that my emotions have really started to level out. You've been given a lot of good advice in this thread, so glad you posted instead of keeping it in! Thank you for helping me this morning.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My emotions are still up and down. One week in. I know some was pms but no doubt it's psychological too. Think about it....a lot of our joy was wrapped up in drinking. The act of planning to drink...buying it...opening it...getting that first buzz...watching a program with it gave us that warm fuzz...so now we need to retrain our brain. I'm so new to this but this is what I've gathered being here on SR and even Google. I recently bought a book called 'drinking:a love affair' by Catherine Knapp. I'm only a little in and I relate. Plus keep close we are all here for u. I've been blessed by these kind folks here!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have just posted in the July 2015 thread that I am 5 weeks in and feelings are still very much up and down, today being quite a downer.

Thank you posting this as I have found the replies really helpful...hoping you feel better soon.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Read somewhere the pancreas doesn't know how to act after quitting drinking.

Takes time to stabilize. That is how I convinced myself I wasn't going crazy.

Good food and at lots of water. Multi vitamin.

Hang in there. You are tough if you could survive years of drinking. Turn it around.

I am internally passionate about sobriety. The opposite of that is passive.

87 hard earned and proud sober days. 1 day at a time. Amen.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In the same way we need to adjust physically, we also need to adjust emotionally and mentally also.

But it's going to take time, years of drinking can't be repaired in a few weeks, the body can only work at it's own pace, but it will get there eventually!!

Hang in there!!