Notices

Diet Pills Nightmare

Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet Pills Nightmare

I am from France. I am 49. I live in the US. For the last 17 years, I have been abusing phentermine, a diet pill. I tried to quit but the withdrawals are so overwhelming that i end up taking the pills again. One of the withdrawals is depression. When I stop, my depression becomes so intense that all I want is to die. I suspect that over time, I have damaged my dopamine neurotransmitters and that I am now unable to produce them naturally. Hence the deep depression. I never told anyone about this addiction. until tonight. I am telling you. I never told anyone because I was too ashamed, embarrassed to be addicted to died pills. Now, I really want to find a way out. I am a slave to these pills. I want to stop this vicious circle and not depend on them. There seems to be very few of you who are going through or did go trough this type of addiction and there is little to be found on the web. At this point, I need guidance. I realize that I cannot stop on my own but that I also need extra tools for dealing with the depression part. Thank you
Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You'll find lots of support here. Read around and post often!

There are certainly Narcotics Anonymous meetings in Tampa, and people don't necessarily discuss what drugs they abuse at the meetings. I am sure you would be welcome, and the people there would have information about local resources (such as a detox facility if you are unable to quit).
Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi futureve! I don't know very much about phentermine but see it's closely related to amphetamines.

I think you'll find that if you withdraw from the drug your Dopamine levels will return to normal after time - But speak to a doctor about this because I'm not an expert.

The human body is a miraculous organism. Give it time and it will heal in most cases. How many alcoholics on this site had/have livers that were going to explode? I did, and now it's functioning normally.

Anyway, I would advise you to see your GP and ask for help.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you need medical assistance? Have you spoken to a doctor about your problems? That's where I would start.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

An honest chat with your doctor would be a good start. I made a list on my phone and when I went in to talk with my doctor I just started at the top even though it was difficult and embarrassing. But boy did it feel good to come clean and get all checked out.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Futureve!!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome futureve. I am sure you will find a lot of support here.

As others have said, I'd strongly advise you to speak to a doctor. They will make sure you are safe and probably also give you something to get you through the initial withdrawal.

You can get through this
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Good for your for reaching out for help. Getting off a medication can be very difficult. I went through horribly debilitating withdrawals from a supposedly safe anti-depressant I was prescribed once. It is no joke.
The first thing you need to do is go see your doctor to ask the best method to get off this drug. Only a doctor can tell you what is safe, what is not and what the best way to go through the process is. When I stopped the anti-depressant I was bedridden, when I tired to get up and walk I would collapse, I had severe mental instability, the works.
You can do this with the support and guidance of a doctor. You can be free.