Notices

I am killing myself with booz

Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am killing myself with booz

I seem to be loosing my mind. I need help! I hope I can stop and be the husband my wife married. GOD I need help.. Please Pray For Me.

Jay Day One
Old 08-28-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Congradulations on day 1 ! Welcome to SR ! You have found a great place for help and support .My name is Trish and I am an alcoholic . I remember very clearly the feelings you posted about .We have all been there .Stick around . There is hope and a miracle for you ..prayers Trish
Old 08-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope

Jay,
There is hope. I am Dawn and I am an addict. The first step is acknowledging you are powerless over the chemical or behavior that controls you. Congratulations on day #1. We are here for you and praying for you.
Have you tried an AA meeting? Consider it. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Jmar,
I'm an alcoholic for over 15 years...am a few weeks sober. Please post here and tell us what is going on.
Sandy
Old 08-28-2004, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hello from a little south of you. I'm Danielle, recovering alcoholic. Like everyone else said--this is a GREAT place for support and I'm grateful that I found it!
Remember: you are not alone...so I hope that you stay, read a bit, and post some more. We're all here for you!

Danielle
Old 08-28-2004, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats on day 1! You can do it!
Old 08-28-2004, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Castaway

Jmar,
Stay with it. The first day is always rough.
Sandy
Old 08-28-2004, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((((Jay)))))))
Welcome to SR. Glad you posted on the newcomers board. My name is 3Legs, a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. Please feel free to check out the Alcoholism and Alcoholics Anonmyous Forums on SR. It's taken some time, but I'm becoming a Dad to "our son". The continuation of my drinking destroyed any hopes of his Mom & I staying together many moons ago. However, there is HOPE for you if you're not quite as hard headed and stubborn as I was when she was still willing to work things out.

Any chance of getting together in the CHAT here in SR? I will go in there and wait a bit to see if you can make it, otherwise I will keep looking for your posts.

(((((((((Jay)))))))))) I came out of the Storm and remain under shelter with A.A. I had come to scoff, but have remained to pray because my many ways never worked, but the AA way surely has for me.

You are not alone in your battle with Booze my friend!
Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-28-2004, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're not alone Jmar. Too much alcohol for too long makes it difficult for us to think rationally. The rational thought "just don't pick up a drink, and I'm cured!" doesn't seem to have any validity - yet that really is the case.

In the early days it will be so much easier to rely on someone else's rationality, at least until yours starts firing again. If you can find a friend, a group of people, or just anyone you can talk to - it will be easier.

We make bolder and more life-changing decisions as part of a group, than alone.

If you can't find anyone locally - posting here regularly will be a good start. There's a lot to do, but you CAN fix it and you CAN be the guy your wife married.

There are a dozen people here holding out a hand... and you can't ask much more than that.

Good luck,

Deg.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Let's try getting a different perspective from each other JMar. I am the son of an alcoholic. Here is a good amount about me and my story. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35992

As you can see, I live in Riverview, Michigan, and I am also just a bit South of you. During the vacation my parents went on, they made a stop in Traverse City. Hopefully, if you read my post, you can get a different point of view from someone that is affected by alcoholism and what is going through their mind. I don't know if you have any kids, but I am sure you're wife is probably going through the same things.

Now, if you could give me an idea of what is going on in your mind, and so I can maybe see what kind of feelings my dad has, and we can help each other out. If you have any questions for me, I would be glad to answer them.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Jay!

Welcome to SR -- I'm Ken, I AM an alcoholic.

I became someone other than the guy my wife married as well. I am still new to sobriety, and fog is lifting slowly, so I'm still a weenie sometimes...OK, an outright A-Hole, but I am finally starting to face life head on, not behind a can, 12 pack or case of Bud.

My answer is in AA, and I am going to meetings, having faith and doing what is suggested. You might want to give it a try, at the very least you will see that there are many more just like you. Maybe we all drank differently, but we share one thing in common -- alcohol in some way was ruining our lives.

Stick around and do some reading, and please keep us posted on how you are doing...

Ken
Old 08-28-2004, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello, and thank all of you for responding. I haven't been to AA I probably should though.
I have been a drunk for 25 years on and off (mostly On) always seem to go back to it. I have always been stubborn and thinking I don't need help. But I do.. Thanks again for your support.. I am glad i found this sight..Jay
Old 08-28-2004, 02:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi jay, I'm margaret Ann. You have done alot admitting there is a problem. So, I guess we will tackle this together, huh. 3 days sober for me.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((((((Jay)))))):

I thought I was an Alien until I found folks who had experienced the same as me and found a way out of the alcoholic dilemma. I had placed myself in that dilemma and kept myself there way too long. I had about 25 years of drinking (but only really a "drunk" for about 20 of those ).

I spent 16 years on parole, probation, or incarcerated due to my stubborness in accepting help for my drinking problem. Man oh Man if I could only have accepted it earlier on I might not have hurt so many others or myself. Still climbing out of the hole I dug for myself, but the view is becoming beautiful. Guess it takes what it takes for us individually to become willing. Forgot to mention earlier -- my son now lives full time with me and the gifts of sobriety are continuing daily.

You can quit :banghead: by picking up the telephone and calling the local AA hotline if you wish. One day at a time is a great way to do it.

Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello Jay, welcome! Your not alone with your problems man. We are very stubborn when it comes to reaching out for help with our problems. I was offered help by my wife and family many times. But I was too proud to admit I had a problem. I just had to go out there and feel a little more pain before the willingness to seek help set in. I am also another AA member who has found a great new life. Check out some meetings, see if its right for you.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the helpful words of encouragement.. Day 2 very edgy!!! Nasvill whats up

Jay
Old 08-29-2004, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((((((Jay)))))))))
Keep pluggin along
Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Jmar!

I don't have much to add, just wanted to say that I'm thinking about you! I'm on day 7, and while I still feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes, I'm glad that I can remember every waking moment of the last 7 days, and I haven't been able to say that in a long time.

Do it for your wife, do it for your family, but mostly do it for YOURSELF. You might feel irritated and edgy the next few days (I still am!), a few things that have helped me are: excersise (lieterally i ran around the block once, and it helped!), CHOCOLATE, punching my pillow, CHOCOLATE, lots of water, CHOCOLATE, and remembering the consequences of my last drink-fest. And chocolate =),
Old 08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi sickk&tired,And all of you Thank you for your words of encouragement day three,,,,, back to work today and all is well right now. I know what you mean abought the chocolate thing I hardly eat chocolate but now I crave it .. It dose Help. I hope Things are going well for you and the irritability is getting better I snap all the time ... I think every one knows I am quitting and trying to tick me off..
Just kidding Ha, Ha I think.. well Thanks again...
Jay
Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jay,

Congrats on day 3. Every day an alcoholic lives sober, is a miracle. Keep coming around and let us know how you're doing. One day at a time is how we all survive. Have a great day!

Sherry