Notices

I thought about it sober.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought about it sober.

There are two things that stuck in my head. One is the disappointment my wife would have in me, and the other is how I come across as young and cocky. I'm not young. but when I drink I revert back to the guy I was 20 years ago. That is not a good guy. That guy was an a$$hole,. i have no desire to be "that guy" again. Appreciate all the feedback. I may not like some of it, but it is necessary.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Seems like a wise choice to me Thomas...hope you can make it for yourself above all.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
There are two things that stuck in my head. One is the disappointment my wife would have in me, and the other is how I come across as young and cocky. I'm not young. but when I drink I revert back to the guy I was 20 years ago. That is not a good guy. That guy was an a$$hole,. i have no desire to be "that guy" again. Appreciate all the feedback. I may not like some of it, but it is necessary.
thomas glad to see you well man.

Can i ask you a question? The one thing for me that sticks out in your posts is the following: why do you need your wife's absence before you can drink?

It's only my opinion but, I think this lies the answer to some of your questions....

why don't you drink when you want? does she have an authority over you? if so, why? are you the man you want to be kid? are you living in your wife's shadow?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheCrimsonKing View Post
thomas glad to see you well man.

Can i ask you a question? The one thing for me that sticks out in your posts is the following: why do you need your wife's absence before you can drink?

It's only my opinion but, I think this lies the answer to some of your questions....

why don't you drink when you want? does she have an authority over you? if so, why? are you the man you want to be kid? are you living in your wife's shadow?
Great question.... Let me stew on this before I answer.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Nobody here has said it, and it surprises me. Why do you need for your wife to go away before you can drink? why aren't you a man who is in control of his own life? wouldn't your wife respect you more if you were in command? be that for sobriety or not.....

sometimes the answer is not the obvious one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtXCxjbBKks
Old 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're considering...

Believe it or not, what's going on with you right now....it's nothing got to do with drinking or not drinking. It's strange...but I can see more or less what you're going through....it's not drink related Thomas. I see exactly what it is. Believe me you're not as far from your solution as you think you are pal. you're right beside it. it's just, nobody's stating it to you..

(it wasn't love I didn't trust)
Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on coming back Thomas.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice to see you, Jeff.

Making your wife happy is a certainly an enhancement to your relationship! Seeking sobriety for yourself (because you want and deserve it) is a priceless gift to yourself; trust me, your wife will greatly appreciate and benefit from the care you give yourself.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in a bon jovi mood so **** it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJj8sU-0yo

Thomas let's reclailm your manhood brother.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No Jeff, you're not alone. No jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJipmyPohU
Old 05-22-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TheCrimsonKing View Post
You aren't married, are you, CK?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done for coming back Thomas11.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see the real you, Jeff.

D
Old 05-22-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you for coming back, Jeff.

Lots of resources available to you, both on SR and where you live. Please take advantage of them.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm new to this but CK what you asked hit home. I've done what T/J did wait until my partner is away working (he's very successful in his field- I was too at one time but took a backseat to his career) and go to town. Party of One! Through therapy I now know it's an underlying feeling of being "less" important, accomplished etc. and feeling abandoned. Then my adolescent self takes over and says F it etc. Only problem is my adolescent self is hurting myself!
It's been a struggle to reclaim what is fun and meaningful to me. Thank you for reading!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's how my father is when he gets drunk which is every day he goes back to the person he was 30 or so years ago a real ******* and someone you don't even want to be around. It's not a pretty site . But being sober changes all of that. So you made the right decision just keep playing the tape threw .
Old 05-22-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. I tried to quit for my parents, my kids, my fiance, my job and I relapsed every single time. It wasn't till I knew I had to do it for me that I have had any substantial sobriety. I hope you get to a place that it's truly what you want to do for your quality of life.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're back!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Glad you are back. I tried to quit for my parents, my kids, my fiance, my job and I relapsed every single time. It wasn't till I knew I had to do it for me that I have had any substantial sobriety. I hope you get to a place that it's truly what you want to do for your quality of life.
^^^ This!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I am truly a work in progress. I am not perfect, nor do I aspire to be. I just want to be me.