Notices

Question...

Old 05-11-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question...

My mom and I were talking the other day. She is a recovering alcoholic and has been sober six years. She told me that when she drank, she didn't drink because she liked the taste of alcohol, she drank because she liked the effect. Me, on the other hand, I like the taste of alcohol. Actually loved it. I would drink because I would like the taste of what I was drinking and wouldn't drink to get drunk, I would just end up drunk....

I was just wanting some other people's insight on this. I'm new on here, so sorry if it's a stupid thought.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Not a stupid thought when i was in my first month of sobriety i used to make a apple & blackberry squash/dilute/cordial because i missed the taste which in reality was really a craving

Btw your doing awesome keep up the good work
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I liked the taste and the effects.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino, and didn't really like the taste much, just drank to get numb. Now I can't stand the thought of drinking wine. Just the thought turns my stomach.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drink strictly for effect. The classic "escape from reality" for a short period of time.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Never liked the taste, just the effect. I'd drink horrible tasting stuff, except in the very beginning when it was something fruity with an umbrella. Those fell by the wayside early on.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hated the taste of my first beer. Dumped it out the window of the car we were in, drinking at the Drive-in movie. I got yelled at for wasting beer.

I wish I had stopped right then. I drank for 35 more years and I never dumped another beer.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I think most people would agree that alcohol itself takes very foul. Do you like the taste of straight Vodka (alcohol and water)? But lots of people like the sweet fruity mixers that we drink it with.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like wine. Moscato, white zin, Riesling, so on the fruitier side...I also worked with a lot of craft beers so I liked the tastes of different beers. I stayed away from hard liquor because it got me too drunk too fast. But if I went to a liquor it was vodka. If you put gin or scotch in front of me I would turn it down easily. The smell always made my stomach upset instantly.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember I hated the taste of my first sip of beer. I did vodka for a long time, and whiskey for a long time, and somehow ended up at beer at the end. Not sure if I REALLY liked the taste, or just liked the effect and learned to associate the taste with how I felt when I was drinking...
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I loved the taste of good bourbon, scotch, cognac and expensive brews. Only thing I miss about my drinking career. Funny how my downfall was 1.75s of really cheap vodka that had no flavor at all.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Although I hated the smell of beer, I loved the tase of ice cold Budweiser. Also love jim beam. Used that occasionally as an excuse to why I was drinking,too.
But it was the effect. Normal drinkers that like the taste of alcoholic drinks don't drink 6,9,12,etc beers or a fith of jim beam at a time. They have a couple of their drink of choice and stop. Doesn't bother them when they stop either.
And that's where a line gets crossed- normal drinker don't " just end up drunk."

There was a time when there were times I didn't plan on getting drunk. Yet ended up blackout drunk.
Then there was a time I crossed the line into full blown alcoholism. I didnt have a choice over how much I consumed and drank however much was necessary to get blackout drunk.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bdj

I love the taste of Sangria, I used to buy it in gallon jugs. I just can't handle all the problems that come with that great taste.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love the taste of cold beer. But I usually drank the cheapest wine I could find because of the higher alcohol content. You don't drink that stuff for the taste!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So it's kind of a mixture...
Old 05-12-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It was the effects for me in the end up. I did like the taste when I was younger.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm like you, stecar. I love the taste of craft beer and wine, and was always sort of bummed out when I found myself drunk!

I often put water into my wine, so that I could drink more before feeling intoxicated.

I don't like the feeling of being intoxicated at all. When I desire a drink, I think about the taste, not the feeling. As a matter of fact, it is by thinking about how much I hate the feeling of being drunk that I don't take the drink!

I realize that this is probably the experience of very few of us, but it is true. I long ago gave up wondering if I was different than most other alcoholics. My life is better sober, so that's that. I can bear a life which doesn't have a particular taste in it...
Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Main reason for me to drink was to numb out and forget the past but I also had favourite drinks like bells whiskey and certain ales, if I didn't have much cash however I would just buy the cheapest nastiest tasting cider I could find and painfully drink it down!