Notices

Almost caved last night

Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lce

Almost caved last night

So, I had made to the end of my first week. I had had a long and productive day. I felt like I deserved a reward. I walked by the liquor cabinet 29 times. Didn't open it, but man I wanted to. Instead, I went on a walk. I seriously thought "just one, I'll have just one". I woke up this morning so thankful for my decision!!! Damn AV!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you didn't cave, Ice. It gets easier and better, with time; I promise.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you didn't cave Ice, there is nothing but misery down that path.

Also maybe clear the cabinet out and get rid of the booze, or if you're significant other wants to keep it put it somewhere a bit more out of the way where you don't need to pass it as much.

But well done on showing some strength of will
Old 05-07-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it through, Ice Do you have to keep booze around right now tho? I know I couldn't do that.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done exellent ice glad your here talking about it always reach out if you feel like that bud
Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job! Imagine how horrible you would be feeling if you had drank. Get the booze out of the house. Have a bowl of ice cream next time. The walk was a wise thing to do.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good decision Ice. I'd also recommend emptying out the liquor cabinet...you don't have a need for it anymore, might as well remove the temptation.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good job on not drinking!

Common thought on this thread from others is get rid of the temptation within reach = good advice!

Keep coming back!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went through the same thing on day 6. I made the whole work week without drinking for the first time in who knows how long. Not only that, but I was no longer waking up with doom and gloom or severe anxiety. I was in a great mood. I was really proud of myself and wanted to celebrate.

That's when my AV woke up and said "sweet! Let's celebrate!" Ended up fighting it all day long. I actually bought a bottle of wine that day too when shopping with my GF. Made myself wait to dinner. Then made myself wait till after dinner. Then finally convinced myself the day is almost over.

I woke up Sunday soooo happy with my choice. Just like you. But this time, there was no need to "celebrate." I opted to spend more time with the people around me that day. Made it a point to interact more than I normally would.

Since then, it keeps getting better and better. The days are even brighter. I smile a whole lot more. I'm actually listening and talking when with somebody instead of thinking how miserable I felt.

Good for you Ice. And thanks for sharing. I nearly forgot that day.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I am happy for you that you didn't give in!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lce

Wish I could get rid of cabinet. It is built in to our house more like a wet bar. Must keep the booze bc we entertain a lot with hubby's job. I might ask him to put a lock on the door. If anyone over here looks at the lock funny I can say I'm child proofing for my toddler.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you stayed strong and didn't give in! Excellent job!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lce View Post
Wish I could get rid of cabinet. It is built in to our house more like a wet bar. Must keep the booze bc we entertain a lot with hubby's job. I might ask him to put a lock on the door. If anyone over here looks at the lock funny I can say I'm child proofing for my toddler.
Might be time to have the "talk" with the husband. Tell him about your desire to quit drinking. His support would most helpful, like locking away the booze and minimizing the social activities you hold at your house that include alcohol.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job!

I'm coming up on a week again, which is where I stumbled last time. My AV is definitely starting to try and convince me that we've made it long enough and should celebrate, but I think this time I'll win the battle. Even just 1 drink makes you feel miserable and like a big disappointment the next day! Not worth starting all over again.

The lock sounds like a great idea! No need to tempt yourself right now with access to all that booze.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't cave.
I dunno I could walk past a liquor cabinet too many times in the early days.

A lock might be the solution amenable to all

D
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lce View Post
So, I had made to the end of my first week. I had had a long and productive day. I felt like I deserved a reward. I walked by the liquor cabinet 29 times. Didn't open it, but man I wanted to. Instead, I went on a walk. I seriously thought "just one, I'll have just one". I woke up this morning so thankful for my decision!!! Damn AV!!!
That's awesome - good work!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go ICE!
Look at you being able to say no even with out a lock, that makes you a lot stronger than you think! High five yourself! One more day in the wonderful world of sobriety!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job, Ice!

Like everyone said above, I've got to ask also; is there no way for you to get rid of the liquor?

When I started sobriety five days ago, I threw out $120 worth of alcohol ( a fortune for a poor college student like me). I'll say it right now; out of everything so far, making the choice to throw all of the booze into the dumpster was by far the hardest. But it was also the most rewarding and fortifying choice also.

You obviously have some control, but it can slip--- easily. Having booze available is a dangerous game.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

First off, congrats on a week sober! That's huge!..For your own good I would get rid of the liquor though. I understand business and entertaining but not at the expense of your sobriety. We have a huge bar upstairs in our home.. we cleaned all of the liquor out and anyone that visits us is going to have to deal with that..no alcohol period allowed. It is just not worth it..