Notices

Prayer and Meditation

Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

Prayer and Meditation

“If you saw your life as a great battle and you knew you needed time with God for your very survival, you would do it. Maybe not perfectly—nobody ever does, and that’s not the point anyway—but you would have a reason to seek him.“ John Eldridge, "Wild At Heart"

“… from Bill Wilson’s closing speech at the 1955 AA International Convention in St. Louis, summing up the importance of seeking, finding, and doing God’s will: In AA we have two dictators, and we profit and grow through both. One is John Barleycorn, who is never very far from the elbow of each of us. The other is the Father of Lights, who presides over all men. God is saying to us, “Learn my will and do it.” And John Barleycorn is saying to each of us, “You had better do God’s will—or I will kill you!”
Yep, these are the choices I was left with, too... Excerpts from the book, “Prayer & Meditation - a Practical Guide to the Life Promised in Step 11 by Tom R.

Like the book, "Drop The Rock," this kind of steps out where the 12 and 12 ends. I need to immerse myself in the practices and principles--or I will delve into self-centered fear. As advertised, I am provided the spiritual armor I apparently need for my day if I'll just take the time at the beginning and do what the tenth step suggests... Imagine that?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life."

(12&12 page 98)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks SKG,
it took me a while to figure out that your avatar was not a cuttlefish but a flying squirrel.

I think I need to spend more time with God and spend more time bringing awareness into each moment.

yesterday seemingly from nowhere I started thinking wouldn't it be nice to sit down with a chilled bottle of wine, just once. The thought was so compelling. I didnt act upon it and thought it through, it would not stop at one bottle and the feeling that I imagine I would have is not guaranteed. It would just open me up to a world of discontent. The thought stayed a little while and then I got busy doing something and it left. I wondered what triggered it was it the music I was listening to, thoughts of my ill sister. I have less stress in my life now than when I got sober but I thought how difficult it is for people who have to cope with huge amounts of stress and get sober.
In the morning I have my spiritual routine but I let it slide as the day goes on this needs to change.
I have always thought that the Muslims praying 5 times a day a good practice. Although I don't think the rigid ritual that necessary.

I am going on a cycling 10 holiday in Taiwan on my own and have downloaded Eckhart Tolle, the Tao de Ching which I will listen to as I cycle along the coast.
if anyone has any suggestions of good listening material please post them if you have time.

CaiHong
Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for posting that SKG. It had meaning for me beyond what you could have intended. A very dear friend attended the 1955 St Louis convention, in utero. Her father and mother attended when her father was 2 years sober.

This same friend just happened to have major surgery today. Things went well. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Smile

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Thanks for posting that SKG. It had meaning for me beyond what you could have intended. A very dear friend attended the 1955 St Louis convention, in utero. Her father and mother attended when her father was 2 years sober.

This same friend just happened to have major surgery today. Things went well. Thanks again.
I saw that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebQ...0Cxg_lTkg3df3B
Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm glad someone got my
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXW...UQ-XfdIhL4GPEF
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
skg

“The moon models our role. What does the moon do? She generates no light. Contrary to the lyrics of the song, this harvest moon cannot shine on. Apart from the sun, the moon is nothing more than a pitch-black, pockmarked rock.” It's Not About Me: Rescue From the Life We Thought Would Make Us Happy,” Max Lucado, 2004
Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

skg, I mentioned seeing your post referencing the 1955 convention to my friend who was there. Biopsies came back negative and her sense of humor is back. She writes, "I remember Bill saying that. Even in utero. But I've always wondered who is John Barleycorn?".
Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bob Darrel talks about how the big book is talking about contemplative meditation so does Joe and Charlie.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
skg

Jb?

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
...But I've always wondered who is John Barleycorn?".
LOL!! Ever read, "The Screwtape Letters," by C.S. Lewis? I think Barleycorn's a minion... Mike Tyson in a cup?
I'm sure you've met him once or twice.../