Notices

What exactly is a sobriety plan...?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

What exactly is a sobriety plan...?

Is this where you map out a schedule of different things to do each day in replacement of alcohol? or which meetings you'll attend, or new things you'll join to fill the gap?

Would somebody mind sharing their plans that worked?

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can be anything you want it to be, and depends on you as an individual. What would suit you best?

Maybe a to-do list every morning when you wake up, and a somewhat hour-by-hour plan each day until you fall asleep? Maybe a more long-term plan like, "after 30 days I want to have accomplished *this*, after 90 days this, after 6 months this is my life goal"? Maybe a combination of both?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

to me a good recovery plan rests on two things - support, and changes.

Find the right level and kind of support you think you'll need - and use it when you need it.

Some people use programs like AA or similar meeting based groups like SMART or LifeRing. Others use programmes derived from books like Rational Recovery /AVRT.

Others use inpatient or outpatient rehab, or addiction counselling.

Others use places like SR...or a mix of everything.

Only you can tell whats the appropriate level of support for you to keep you sober, so I suggest you look around at everything

Look at the people who seem to have what you want and look at what they do

Think about the changes you need to make to support your desire for recovery.

In what ways will you need to change your lifestyle?
your social circle?

what about the way you respond to things - feelings, stress, boredom, celebrations?

You can use the support network you've found to help you maintain the changes you've decided to make

Thinking about all these things should give you a pretty good basis for a recovery plan

D
Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Okay what I did was I went and saw an alcohol counsellor and he got me into daytox. It was a 4 - 6 weeks program. It introduced me to the various other programs out there, had group therapy and even classes on various things. Like learning different coping skills and even accupunture believe it or not.

Was one of the best things I did. I wasn't working at the time, so it gave me something to do and I totally took advantage of it and kept my mind open. It really helped. I learned things about myself and realized that even at my age I could change my views on things.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wish I could find where I answered this a few other times.... there ought to be a running reference thread....

A plan is lots of things and varied and personal.

Some of the things I find important in a plan I've never really written down, but I think about and have in mind. Somtimes I journal them, sometimes I share them here.... sometimes it's just a PLAN FOR TODAY that changes with my moods.

But the essence of a plan is answering these questions;

How will I remind myself why I am choosing sobriety?
How will I support myself with community and encouragement that? understand and enable my choice of sobriety?
When I find myself in drinking situations - what will I do instead of drinking?
What new things will I choose to do instead of drinking?
How will I alter my habits and associations in order to reduce my desire and habitual response to drink?
Specifically what will I do when I am hit with a powerful desire to drink?
What ACTIONS will I take to reinforce my decision to live sober?
What things that have worked for others will I adopt as part of my approach to living sober?
How will I watch, monitor, keep aware of myself - so that I know when my sobriety is at risk?

Reading around here is a great way to start answering these questions. Working with a counselor who is experienced in addiction, going to AA or SMART or other recovery programs and learning what you can - these are all good ways to begin finding the answers to these questions that will work for you.

For me, it has been no one single thing - but rather a whole array of actions, changes, steps and stages.... my "plan" isn't a document but an approach to living that evolves and takes a different shape each day, depending on where I am in life.

Today, my plan is easier because the "don't drink" part has gotten much easier. It's more about maintaining self-care and awareness and continuing to work steps and remind myself about why I cherish sobriety than about fighting urges or changing habits. It took a fair long time and wasn't easy..... but it does happen and life does get better.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sobriety = happily abstinent

Abstinent: Don't drink. I have a maladaptive appetite for alcohol. Even though I know that drinking is a horrible idea for me, I will feel like drinking again. It happens more than I wish it would, but I can't just turn it off. I wish I could, but I can't. So, I plan for it.

The next time I feel like drinking, I will ______________ instead.
(Fill in your blank.)

Happily: I find that I tend to feel like drinking more often when I am unhappy. Or, contra-positively, when I am happy I rarely feel like drinking. What are the things I do (without drinking) that make me happy? I plan and do those things.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NAP for me drinking went with after 6pm at dinner and during the evening and when going out. My plan involved changes such as:

* what I drank the evening (chinotto for me thanks)
* what I ate at dinner -- more even though I put on weight initially, I previously kept myself a bit hungry when I drank to get "the buzz"
* where I sat in the living room -- I changed my seat
* what I did in the living room -- I took up handwork
* what I did later in the evening -- initially I lived on SR reading and posting
* I stopped going out to dinner with friends for several months because those were drinking times
* when I did eventually start going out again I always had an "out" (as in an escape plan)
* when out I always removed the wine glass and announced that I didn't drink anymore

There were other things too but, as you can see, I would anticipate to prevent drinking and yes -- it worked.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My plan was to stay sober, it was my only goal.

I went to AA meetings, as many as I could go to and still work and sleep. I got a sponsor and when she asked me if I wanted to get together to work the steps, I said yes and actually showed up. I never backed out of date we set up, not even once. I worked it like my life depended on it, because it did.

I also got active in AA by joining a home group and staying committed to be there every week and although I changed home groups about six months in my sobriety, I still follow the same commitment. I am there every week.

I chair meetings when it comes to my turn. I lead meetings if I am asked and I am available.

I continue to attend at least three meetings a week, last week was rough. I didn't want to drink, the obsession is gone but I had to get out of my head and the meetings help do that. I also was leading one and it was the anniversary of another, I go to support their group even though it is not my home group. They are keeping the doors open too, just a different day of the week. I still show up and hey, free food

There were times I was tired and I didn't feel like following through and I had to ask myself, was I ever to tired to go out to the bar? Stop at the liquor store? Get drunk? and the answer was always no, so I take the same outlook on my recovery.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

NAP, for me it was finding ways to get around my usual habits so I could deal with after-work cravings. I had a deep-breathing exercise to calm myself when I wanted a drink. I stocked up the fridge with alternative drinks, mainly craft ginger beer. I used SR for support and inspiration.

Having a plan helps you avoid the white-knuckle syndrome, where you're still obsessed with alcohol, even if you're not actually drinking.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
to me a good recovery plan rests on two things - support, and changes.

Find the right level and kind of support you think you'll need - and use it when you need it.

Some people use programs like AA or similar meeting based groups like SMART or LifeRing. Others use programmes derived from books like Rational Recovery /AVRT.

Others use inpatient or outpatient rehab, or addiction counselling.

Others use places like SR...or a mix of everything.

Only you can tell whats the appropriate level of support for you to keep you sober, so I suggest you look around at everything

Look at the people who seem to have what you want and look at what they do

Think about the changes you need to make to support your desire for recovery.

In what ways will you need to change your lifestyle?
your social circle?

what about the way you respond to things - feelings, stress, boredom, celebrations?

You can use the support network you've found to help you maintain the changes you've decided to make

Thinking about all these things should give you a pretty good basis for a recovery plan

D
D i really think there should be a sticky on having a sobriety plan

I 5000% agree with D's post
Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Nap - glad you're back

I see where you had 15 months sober awhile back! That's great!
What did you do at that time other than simply not drink?

We all hear of folks choosing to drink again after some sobriety for a variety of excuses - I mean reasons. It seems one issue is folks stop drinking but did nothing else to change their lives.

For me the change is inward - I had/have to address the reasons I used alcohol to sooth me. Alcohol was not my problem, it was my solution - to loneliness, fear, low self esteem, resentments (towards friends, loved ones, coworkers, boss, government etc)

I attend regular meetings in rooms that have provided me not only a plan to get sober, but a way to work on staying stopped. I also derive fellowship from this that was hugely lacking in my life - I tried to fill that void at the bar which simply in the end catches up with us and is a pitiful existence.

Glad you're back, tweak what you did before - but it's in you!