Notices

New to online AA support

Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to online AA support

Hello all! I've done the traditional AA groups and never though to try it online. A quick synopsis of my journey, broken down chronologically:
-university+drinking
-rehab (not ready)
-living with parents
-attempt to finish school (lasted 1/2 semester)
-rehab (ready)
-half-way house (solid program)
-return to school (return to MJ, halucinogens, no alcohol(4years))
-graduate from school (overcame some anxieties, completely sober 8 months afterwards)
-landed a great job, first night by myself in my new house, I bought some beer

I've been drinking for a year now, always telling myself I'll moderate it better. I probably average around 5-6 nights out of the week drinking. I quit long enough to prevent developing physical dependence (sometimes for a week, or more). After last night, I want to abstain completely again. I haven't hit rock bottom, I haven't been arrested, I haven't endangered my career, I'm ahead of the game in terms of reasons to quit drinking. I live by myself and my only relationships are with alcohol and my dog. I'm hoping to get good again, so I can not feel like crap every morning.

I exercise (cycling and working out) a lot to keep my mind and body strong, but recently I've missed a month of lifting weights and it's because I'm too tired by the end of the day (and probably drinking). I was drunk after midnight last night, so I guess my official sobriety date will be tomorrow 3/30.

I look forward to joining the community and stopping this mean ol train.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the community Hindsight
You'll find a lot of support and guidance here

D
Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you found us! Getting sober is a wonderful life decision. I for one can say my life began when I got sober...no longer would alcohol run my life! I have tried online AA but I don't make the friendships like I do in person. I don't get talk in person with the people after the meetings. Right now I am going to AA in person and it is working for me. If you go to AA and get a sponsor and work the steps...you will get sober!

AA says "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path"

Just gotta remember...Us alcoholics have this mental obsession of drinking...and we will have this until we give our will and our life over to the care of a higher power. After an alcoholic takes that first drink it's game over. Once that happens we craveee more. You can do it! Goodluck
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hindsight. This is a great community. It's nice to meet you.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good luck hindsight. today is day 1 for me too!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hindsight!!