Notices

Profound change

Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Profound change

Last night, as part of a Big Book study, we read some of the chapter "Bills Story". When we were done and opened for comment, one of the members shared how it was ironic that Bill had stayed sober for around four months before his encounter with Ebby. But when he saw Ebby, who had at the time only 60 days, he was convinced that he had a real solution.

The reason for this, I humbly believe, is that Ebby was not just sober. He was in recovery. He had a program of action. A spiritual solution. I only have to research as far as my own experience to abundantly confirm the stark difference between someone being sober (dry) with white knuckles, fighting under their own will power. And someone in recovery, delivered through a spiritual program of action. A person whose entire deportment and demeanor demonstrates a profound change.

Something must fill the vacuum. What works in my experience is three legged stool: God, fellowship, and the 12 steps.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

A spiritual solution. I only have to research as far as my own experience to abundantly confirm the stark difference between someone being sober (dry) with white knuckles, fighting under their own will power. And someone in recovery, delivered through a spiritual program of action. A person whose entire deportment and demeanor demonstrates a profound change.
I don't believe the Big Book because it is a good book, written by smart authors, nor because it was recommended by some nice people. I believe the book because some parts of it match my experience EXACTLY as I lived it. Such as:

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
(page 85)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I don't believe the Big Book because it is a good book, written by smart authors, nor because it was recommended by some nice people. I believe the book because some parts of it match my experience EXACTLY as I lived it.
^^^ Yeah, this. 100%.

Like the Buddha (and my friend Dale) says...

"Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, This contemplative is our teacher. When you know for yourselves that, These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness — then you should enter & remain in them."

-allan
Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A friend sent me this article today

The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - The Atlantic

I read the article and wrote to my friend, I responded to some parts of the article but to be honest, I didn't feel it necessary to defend AA as for me it is a spiritual program and no doubt most people would think spirituality to be irrational.

It's difficult to explain to people, for them to really understand unless they have gone through it themselves And have had a spiritual awaking, a real change of heart whereas alcohol is no longer the driving force in your life.

CaiHong