Notices

I went to my first al-anon meeting

Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to my first al-anon meeting

and was surprised to learn that it is a 12 step program that in many ways is just like AA. It dawned on me the al-anon stands for alcoholics anonymous. I have been in recovery for three years and attend AA meetings almost everyday. However, I never ventured into al-anon. I grew up in an alcoholic home and have a father and sister who are in active addiction. I think I could benefit from al-anon as well. Al-anon is also proof that anyone can benefit from a 12 step program as most people who attend al-anon are not alcoholics. Interestingly enough I met a recovering alcoholic at the al-anon meeting who told me he prefers al-anon over AA. I am curious to see what kind of experiences other people in recovery have had with al-anon.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

1) "...It dawned on me the al-anon stands for alcoholics anonymous..."

2) "...most people who attend al-anon are not alcoholics..."

Actually Al-Anon does NOT stand for alcoholics anonymous. AA stands for alcoholics anonymous. Al-Anon is the Family Group for friends and families of problem drinkers to find understanding and support.

2) See #1 explanation.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-19-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
1) "...It dawned on me the al-anon stands for alcoholics anonymous..."

2) "...most people who attend al-anon are not alcoholics..."

Actually Al-Anon does NOT stand for alcoholics anonymous. AA stands for alcoholics anonymous. Al-Anon is the Family Group for friends and families of problem drinkers to find understanding and support.

2) See #1 explanation.

(o:
NoelleR
According to every resource I've looked at the name Al-anon was derived from AL-coholics ANON-ymous. They just didn't want people to confuse the two groups.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been

They're great.

Amazing what people who haven't pickled their brains in booze can do with a 12 step program.

Having said that.... Just like AA has its own non program meetings "just don't drink and go to meetings " or "first step and third tradition" folks

Vs

"take the steps and study the books"

Alanon seems to have its own split.

Issues and tissues.... Go along, update everyone on the alcoholics inventory, have a cry and go home

Vs

Old 03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I've been

They're great.

Amazing what people who haven't pickled their brains in booze can do with a 12 step program.

Having said that.... Just like AA has its own non program meetings "just don't drink and go to meetings " or "first step and third tradition" folks

Vs

Alanon seems to have its own split.

Issues and tissues.... Go along, update everyone on the alcoholics inventory, have a cry and go home

Vs

The meeting I went to was just like an AA meeting. The steps were almost the same. No one really bashed alcoholics. They read some literature and discussed things that they obsessed over. If I didn't know it was an al-anon meeting I would have thought it was an AA meeting. It seemed like the people who were there focused on bettering themselves rather than bashing the alcoholic in their life.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
According to every resource I've looked at the name Al-anon was derived from AL-coholics ANON-ymous. They just didn't want people to confuse the two groups.
I don't know what resources you've been using, however, if they're saying Al-Anon stands for alcoholics anonymous they're either flat out wrong; or they're lying to you; or they're pullin' your leg, or, or, or........just check out Al-Anon's website...................: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"The Al‑Anon name is a derivative of the first portions of the words Alcoholics Anonymous."

Al-Anon/Alateen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My money's on Noelle in this fight lol

D
Old 03-20-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Where did the name Al-Anon come from and why the dash (-)?
I've seen many publications pertaining to Al-Anon and never found an explanation of the meaning
of Al-Anon. Where did it come from and what does it mean?" writes Margaret G. from Brody, MT.
The World Service Office immediately put the archivist to work. She came up with the following:
In May 1951 Lois W., Chairman, and Anne B., Secretary, sent the first letter from the Clearing
House1
polling the 87 family groups that had previously written to the .AA General Service Office. One
question asked was, "Do you approve of the name AA Family Group? If not, what do you suggest'?"
Approximately 57 responses were received. Some groups suggested names they were already
calling themselves such as, AA Associates, AA Auxiliary, Non-AA, Triple A, Women's Auxiliary of AA,
Friendship, AA Helpmates, Twelfth Step Auxiliary. The majority, however, favored the AA Family Group
name, which Lois and the Committee changed to "Al-Anon" which is a contraction of the two words.
Alcoholics Anonymous.

This decision came about when AA objected to the use of the letters "AA" in the name of the
national association of non-alcoholics since their Sixth Tradition stated that an AA group ought never lend
the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise.
The hyphen was included because there are, in many locations in the U.S. and Canada, AA Clubhouses
that call themselves Alanon or Alano. The hyphen also identifies Al-Anon as a distinct organization.
From Inside Al-Anon Extra: a publication for groups of the Al-Anon Family Groups, Inc. Printed in the
1980s.
Reprinted with permission

Pay up Dee
Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

seconds out...
Noelle's got the stamina - and the reach, Hawks.

D
Old 03-20-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hawks has good info there on how the name came about.
I think there was something,too, about copyrights and trademarks being infringed if AA was used?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What else could Al-Anon stand for? The steps are almost identical as well. Some groups change the first step to state "powerless over the alcoholic" but the group I went to kept the first step from AA. Also, the 12th step was changed to state "carry the message to others" rather than "carry the message to other alcoholics." The traditions were identical. Its AA for non-alcoholics.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I don't know what resources you've been using, however, if they're saying Al-Anon stands for alcoholics anonymous they're either flat out wrong; or they're lying to you; or they're pullin' your leg, or, or, or........just check out Al-Anon's website...................: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

(o:
NoelleR
"When we were wrong, promptly admitted it"

Just saying, folks

P
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Stuff like this used to bother me until I went to Al-Anon

-allan
Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi.
Personally I care less about where the name came from, the program works by saving the sanity of people having to deal with alcoholics, both newcomers and old timers.

I enjoy their meetings because it’s focused on RECOVERY. I have several friends who are active in it who I call with love my black belt family.

Overall a great organization with wonderful people.

BE WELL
Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
skg

Courage to Change

Statement of Purpose Al-Anon's Suggested Preamble to The Twelve Steps

The Al-Anon Family Groups are a fellowship of relatives and friends of alcoholics who share their experience, strength, and hope, in order to solve their common problems. We believe alcoholism is a family illness, and that changed attitudes can aid recovery.

Al-Anon is not allied with any sect, denomination, political entity, organization, or institution; does not engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any cause. There are no dues for membership. Al-Anon is self-supporting through its own voluntary contributions.

Al-Anon has but one purpose: to help families of alcoholics. We do this by practicing the Twelve Steps, by welcoming and giving comfort to families of alcoholics, and by giving understanding and encouragement to the alcoholic. Al-Anon World Services Suggested Preamble
Double Winner here...
Old 03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Double winner here too. I give credit to AA for my life and Al Anon for my sanity.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Double winner here too. I give credit to AA for my life and Al Anon for my sanity.
Ya, where ever the name came from isn't important. I think involving myself in Al-anon will help myself and others.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by NoelleR......: I don't know what resources you've been using, however, if they're saying Al-Anon stands for alcoholics anonymous they're either flat out wrong; or they're lying to you; or they're pullin' your leg, or, or, or........just check out Al-Anon's website...................: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/
(o:
NoelleR

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
"When we were wrong, promptly admitted it"f
Just saying, folks
P
If you're inferring that I'm wrong, and should admit it....don't hold yer breath.

As others have stated here, although Al-Anon may be a derivative of the first portions of the words Alcoholics Anonymous and/or a contraction of the two words Alcoholics Anonymous, it definitely does not 'stand' for Alcoholics Anonymous. The only acronym for Alcoholics Anonymous is A.A.

(o:
NoelleR