Notices

need to vent

Old 03-24-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need to vent

hey guys.. im coming up on 6 months clean next week.. this is the longest ive ever been clean but I feel myself getting side tracked. everything was going good for a while then my girlfriend relapsed & not only did she relapse but actually had a pretty big habit and was using for a while. she says shes been tapering herself off with methadone. I still hang out with her and I feel like **** about it because I dont feel right being around someone whos using anything but im having a hard time cutting her off.

then I asked someone to sponsor me last week & I havent called them since I asked them. I feel bad about not calling & now im scared to run into him. I didnt go to my homegroup because I knew id see him there. I just dont like feeling like I have to call someone everyday. I have a really hard time reaching out to people and letting people get to know me. I also sometimes feel like I dont need a sponser cause I made it 6 months without one..

on top of that I cant stand my job. all this is really stressing me out & its effecting my spirit big time.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You're coming up on 6 months clean, yet you stay with a girlfriend who has relapsed big time. You don't feel right about it, but you're having a hard time cutting her off.

You asked someone to sponsor you, but you haven't called them, so you don 't go to your home group because you don't want to run into him.

You hate your job and it's stressing you out.

All of the above are excuses. You say you want to stay clean, yet you don't do the work. You hang with a using girlfriend, you don't call you sponsor and thus avoid meetings. The fact that you don't like your job is just a bonus. These are all bad situations for you to be in IF you truly want to stay clean.

Not sure what you are asking for here, but you have to decide whether or not sobriety/being clean is what you truly want. If it is, then you need to change the things that are getting you off track.

Your join date is December 2011. It is now March 2015. This is your second post in all that time. What is it you truly want?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well if I didnt truly want to be clean then I just wouldnt be clean, its as simple as that. I stuck a needle in my arm everyday for years so me coming up on 6 months is huge for someone like me.

you said everything I talked about was an "excuse"? an excuse for what exactly?

im just venting like I said.. also looking for some advice with the girlfriend thing and the sponsor thing..

has anyone been through this? howd you get though it? what am I supposed to do? what am I not supposed to do?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe a change of environment is what you need? New city, new life, new beginnings?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well all this is going on in a new city.. I moved out here from rehab to get clean and ive been clean since.. its the only time ive ever stayed clean so I plan on staying for a little while.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on almost 6 months.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I wasn't attacking you, regardless of what you think. I was giving you some feedback on what you posted, from someone who has been there.

well if I didnt truly want to be clean then I just wouldnt be clean, its as simple as that.
No, it's not as simple as that. That would be lovely, if it were true. If it were true, then no outside situations would get you side tracked. If that were true, then there would be a whole lot less addicts in this world. Wanting to be clean and being willing to do the work are two different things.

The girlfriend has her own battle to fight. You have yours. If she truly wants to be clean, then she would be clean...right? Isn't that what you said about yourself? You can try to help, but if it affects your own sobriety, then you have a decision to make.

The sponsor thing is easy...just call him. Reconnect with him and resume your meetings. Work the steps. The AA program is the steps, not the meetings. The meetings are to keep you connected to others who have been through what you are experiencing.

I'm really not trying to sound harsh, but your own sobriety should be the most important thing in your life. You have a good start with six months, but you have to keep putting it first and foremost in your life. You can do it, and if you'll hang around here for support, I promise you it will help.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Call the guy you wanted to be your sponsor again. Thats a good start.
I'm sure many guys have taken a while to make that call, man

A little sober time, and guidance, will really help you work out what to do about the other stuff

Learn to reach out - it's really in your best interests. It's for your benefit.... y'know?
D
Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know you werent attacking me I just felt you were implying I didnt really want to be clean because of my post.. which offended me because I did alot of work and made alot of huge changes in order to get sober and it hasnt been easy. I understand though & thank u for the feedback. really.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

SR is a great place for support. Maybe you could check in here daily or at least make it part of your recovery? There really is a great amount of support here. We all need support and if you get back with your sponsor and use SR, it will really go a long way in helping you keep sobriety a main focus in your life.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Canilive its nice to meet you
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

“I asked someone to sponsor me last week & I havent called them since I asked them. I feel bad about not calling & now im scared to run into him. I didnt go to my homegroup because I knew id see him there. I just dont like feeling like I have to call someone everyday. I have a really hard time reaching out to people and letting people get to know me. I also sometimes feel like I dont need a sponser cause I made it 6 months without one.”

Hi.
How well I know the feelings. Now the big BUT. I/we need to work on changing our reactions to things we don’t like. I was very undisciplined, like a young child and needed to work on many changes to stay sober. I was told to do things I didn’t at first want to because I’d feel better afterward and that was mostly true.
Try to think of a sponsor not as a boyfriend but as a guide for easy and difficult times. It sounded weird when I came around to think of men as someone I could LOVE, but as time goes by there is a special, non sexual, relationship that can develop.

Many alcoholics isolate which can be deadly for us so I had to share at meetings my feelings and fears.
Even after a lot of sober years I still have some that pop up occasionally.
Unfortunately I found there is no soft easy way for recovery. It takes work and change ant that takes a 4 letter word, TIME.

BE WELL
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

6 months is impressive.
It sounds like you've procrastinated for a week, just call the sponsor and talk with them. They will likely understand that you've been hesitant. If they don't, then at least you'll know and can go back to your meetings and get that behind you.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, vent away. I vent all the time. It's pretty frustrating at first. Six months is great and you can build on that. What Suki said is great. I had all the stuff going on in my life at 10.5 months sober that you have going on now. Husband had relapsed, job was bad, hated calling my sponsor, stopped going to meetings. I told myself that I wanted to stay sober. I relapsed.

Call the guy you asked to sponsor you and talk. Maybe you don't have to call him every day. Maybe you do. But when you posted I thought of myself, setting up for a relapse. I had done inpatient treatment, did ninety in ninety but started slipping and got lazy and drank at the ten and a half months. I thought I was doing great but had niggling things always bugging me. Working with a sponsor can help work through that.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In your heart, YOU know what's best. Try to be objective and step out of yourself. You don't owe anything to anyone other than yourself so do what's best for YOU!!!

We will be here to support you.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks everyone im gonna hit a meeting tonight & call my sponsor.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Canilive
Old 03-25-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

6 Months is fantastic!!