Notices

Attack of the relapse

Old 03-24-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attack of the relapse

I lost two sponsors to relapse in the past 5 months. I am glad I never got close to them because that puts my sobriety in a dangerous place. After being refused by others, I gave up. I have a member I call for minor questions, a friend in the program I call to vent (she uses me to vent too), and one old timer who has too many sponsees but I talk to her once a month to make sure my step work is going ok before leveling up. This can be very discouraging but I never entertain that thought. Sobriety can be achieved. I will go to any lengths to stay sober!

Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

stay strong Jennifer. You can do this!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your title scared me! You are proof another's relapse doesn't have to be contagious.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Court jester

Be patient. The right person will show up at exactly the time you need them.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BernieE View Post
Your title scared me! You are proof another's relapse doesn't have to be contagious.
Lol, sorry! I didn't mean to scare you.

It's incredible how relentless that AV can be. In both instances my brain automatically went to "well she had this amount of years and she's drinking again, so can I" STOP. Right there. I don't even entertain the thought. I let the thought pass through and jump on here or do chores. That is how you have to be. The longer toxic thoughts like that stay in your head, the closer YOU become to drinking/using.

Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Hang in there, in my early says I thought my HP was testing me and perhaps he/she was.
Early on the thing that helped me to this day is I became very active in my group which helped me end a lot of my isolation moods where I could easily have negative thinking. It also exposed me to sober people helping others.

BE WELL
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Apparantly this post was somehow confusing, negative and offensive. Please point out to me how. I AM very burnt out from drugs and alcohol and maybe my point is vague. Help me be a better communicator.

The point I was attempting to make was...
During early sobriety there will be many obstacles that your addiction will try and use as an excuse to drink. There are ways to work with what life throws at you. I will have a sponsor again, I just don't right now. I have a support system and a lot of tools to get me through these times when I don't have an official sponsor. I have heard many people on here stating they couldn't find a sponsor, and when I couldn't that panicked me.
This was supposed to be a message of reassurance.

Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Finding a sponsor can be a tough road. For me, it meant that I had to become comfortable with becoming intimate with someone. Thank you for sharing your struggle, as I am sure many of us can relate.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rachelle77 View Post
Finding a sponsor can be a tough road. For me, it meant that I had to become comfortable with becoming intimate with someone. Thank you for sharing your struggle, as I am sure many of us can relate.
You are welcome!
My biggest issue with this is the small population of women with time in the program. The few that do have a good head on their shoulders are taking on too many sponsees at once. I'm in the middle of woods and farmland. My closest meeting is 30 minutes away. I use what I have.

Jennifer
Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

CG, I often post a line from a Sheryl Crow song,

"Every man is his own prophet, every prophet just a man."

God is your ultimate sponsor. No one can substitute for the inner wisdom you already possess. It has always been within you. You may or may not find an appropriate human sponsor. It is possible to work the program without one. Sponsors are not part of the actual program of AA.

Keep doing what you're doing. You have it within you - regardless of human assistance.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi CG. I don't think your post was confusing or offensive. You inspire me. Thank you for posting. You are working hard with the tools you have available. Something I tend to take for granted and I shouldn't.

Again, thanks