healthy vs unhealthy work/social environment

Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

healthy vs unhealthy work/social environment

My summer job is cooking for a couple whom I really like, DS8 can be there with me, and they have private space for us if DS and I want to stay over. I'm getting to know their family and friends and getting more confident in my job.

Downsides: heavy frequent alcohol use by many of the family and guests, especially as they're on vacation. Many foods around that DS cannot have because of allergies, intolerance and sugar addiction - real and serious health issues for him. Not much for DS to do most days. He spends too much time watching tv. When he's invited to do things with others, sometimes alcohol is around, even with those not of legal age (high school/college age). This part is rare and I don't agree with it at all. I'm not able to patrol every part of the day when we're there, but knowing the most likely week for it to happen, I could arrange to have DS at his grandparents home then. The family will miss having him there.

The pay is good. DS can be with me. The family really likes him, and he likes them also.

I haven't kept in touch since the end of summer, so maybe I don't even have the job this year, but either way I need to call them very soon to let them know if I'd like to have the position.

Input, insight welcome.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. I am also a single mom and I understand the financial/reliable childcare dilemma. That is tough.
This sounds like a good job, and money doesn't grow on trees. I've taken on private jobs (cleaning) where I wasn't crazy about the people but bills don't stop with my principles.
I also worry that my kids watch too much TV on school vacations. I remember my parents used to just send us outside to play at a certain point in the day when we were driving them nuts. That's not really an option anymore.
Is there some type of day camp or summer activity program available that you could enroll him in a few hours a day? Lots of churches and community centers offer different summer programs. That might be an option. Even just a half day thing would keep him active and socializing with other kids.
I guess I don't have an answer for you, but I do totally understand how you feel.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great idea with summer programs. This is far out of town, actually next door to where we used to live so our "home turf". 45 minutes to town. He can't play outside because of moose.

Maybe a week long summer camp at some point, but there goes a good part of the financial gain.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if there are many around you, but locally we have several churches that offer Vacation Bible School in the summer days for usually a week. Our conservation center also offers a program that is free or very little cost. It may be worth checking into.

If you don't do that, could you bring a Wii or something that if he is watching TV he could also be playing some games that give him exercise? My daughters and I did our Wii Fit the other night and it was really fun, and quite a workout!

Good luck getting it all squared away!

XXX
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does your son envoy being there?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let go and let God.

Go back to habits that have never served me well... try to control everything around me. Ha!

Let go and let God.

Still would enjoy input. Letting go... and praying.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for the input. It was much bigger in my mind. Instead of worrying about tomorrow, let the days string together to take care of the future.

I hadn't talked to anyone about this since September and then received a call yesterday afternoon, as there was confusion between some who thought I wasn't coming back, since I had moved away, and those who were planning on me being there. It was great to be able to say I'd love to come back!

Between my husband's 3 week trip to see family and my short stays to visit closer family, we're learning to live together in a more balanced way, IMO. We still need to learn how to make time for us as a couple, and regular time together as a family. We're both working on that. Guess that again comes back to making better use of the moment at hand, then the rest will come about.

Keep it simple.
Baby steps.