keeping our own oxygen masks on

Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

keeping our own oxygen masks on

I'd love ideas on how to keep my own oxygen mask on. With a busy teenager, a busy toddler, a full time job and a very limited budget, i don't get much time for myself.

What things does everyone use to keep their oxygen masks on?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you have the time and opportunity at lunch break at your work to go out for a walk? When I had way too much going on with work and everyone else in my life, I started making a point of spending my lunch break outside as many days as possible. I'd make a salad and eat it at my desk so I had time to spend my break time walking alone. I'd either have a private conversation with the universe in my head or I'd listen to music. It became my favorite time of day. The most important part is to leave the cell phone in the office - no distractions!

Another thing I have done is get up a half hour earlier than the time I needed to get everything done. A half hour that was devoted to me. The night before I would pick what that half hour was for, so I didn't waste time figuring it out in the morning or ending up doing nothing. One day would be going for a 3 mile run - another would be a half hour of yoga - one day may be meditation and another reading motivational readings or recovery, etc. That half hour really made no difference in terms of sleep and spending that time just for me started my day really well.

I think with Spring finally starting to be a possibility it's a great time to think about you, PCC- a real rebirth!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a great idea, Greet. When summer comes I take a blanket outside and sit under a tree for lunch, a whole hour in the sunshine

Today I decided to put on music and dance around with Ds. I turned it way too loud and he didn't care i sung off-key
Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great topic!

Lets see, you know last year when we rescued the injured squirrel and she came home after the rehab and was released back outside?. ( haha she went to rehab too) Ive started getting up early before work to feed them peanuts. I enjoy going out into the yard, watching them play, listening to the birds. Its a quiet reflective time and I realized a while back it helps keep me grounded. I also have time to sit and drink a coffee or tea outside, or near the windows and it does the same thing for me. Along the same lines, is going outside with the pets and letting them play. I try not to take my phone so I stay in the moment.

Ive also went through my closet and have eliminated clothes that arent comfortable, or ones that dont make me feel good about myself. Slowly adding in pieces that make me happy.

On my way to work I always listen to cd's Ive loaded. It keeps me in a better mood listening to my favorite artists then the radio with so much talk and commercials. I also did Beyond Addiction in audio and would listen on my way to work

When Mr Blue was in rehab and I was home alone, I started working on a craft project. A capiz shell lampshade. It was therapeutic and I could work on it a little at a time. It also helped me have a sense of control and accomplishment as it progressed.

I try to exercise a few times a week, and added yoga at home twice a week because its relaxing and meditative.

At work I try to avoid too many sugary snacks because I like to have dessert at home. I snack on a few nuts in the afternoon and my favorite healthy drink. Ive been trying to have a cup of tea or coffee at work towards the end of the day, take a few minutes to stretch, look out the window and release all the stress of the day.

Remember my goals at work and challenge myself to do things to keep me moving forward, doing my best.

Another thing I learned when Mr Blue was in rehab, was I was dealing with stress by eating a lot of pizza, and junk food. Before he came home we met with a nutritionist and it was a big wakeup how he was eating and how I was. Before he got sick we spent a lot of time always running, working and we didnt sit down to eat together at normal times. We decided to change this, and one thing came of it is I like to cook. Im not great at it, but I like to try new things and its fun for me. Dessert fits in here too! I try to eat in proportion.

Scented candles in the house make me feel good

I dont wear a lot of makeup usually, but when I get home from work I usually cleanse my face, and I love skincare products. Makes me feel good!

Going out to lunch with a friend, my mom or sis

Trying not to think about addiction things all the time because its not healthy for me. I dont want to be stuck in it, but at the same time Ive learned a lot about myself by going through this and there is always more to learn, but I try to keep it in its place. I think Im doing better. I have some questions about where it all fits and havent worked it all out.

I have a couple bible verses I always keep in mind. One is "This is tne day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." And the other is "with God all things are possible" and both of these are positive for me, make me feel optimistic overall.

I journal when I need to. Especially if Im having trouble figuring out something.

I come and visit all of you on our chat thread, and help Clean with her love life. Ik ik she doesnt need any help although my suggestion of drawing luv notes in mud was a winner!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some great ideas, Blue. I've been wanting to change our family eating habits, and am realizing I can really only change mine and DS's right now. DD will pick up lunch on her own, or go out with friends, and DS already eats quite well, so I guess it's really only me - H has horrible habits and will eat what he wants to anyways so I think I need to stop pressuring him. I have cut out a lot of sugar and extra snacky foods and am realizing when I eat heavy carb food I feel draggy and tired, so I try to limit those.

I have been wanting to go through my closet and love what you did about eliminating things you don't feel good in. My office is business casual, so I can get away with wearing a lot of comfy clothes as long as they look good. I don't have a lot of things I really like, so I think I'm going to slowly work on that.

I love shower gels and I think I'm going to really take the time to enjoy that when I shower instead of trying to race through showers so I can care for DS again. He's going to be three this summer, and I put up the baby gate so he can't go downstairs without me, there's no harm in taking an extra moment or two to really enjoy having a shower!

I love those Bible verses, I think I need to find a couple of my own that I can hold close to me when I need them.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wont go into a lot of detail here, but I think another important part of Oxygen is how we manage our feelings and thoughts.

A lot can be done with a counselor or therapist. Smart has online tools offered as part of their program too.

They follow these 4 key points

1.Building and maintaining motivation
2. Coping with urges ( back to prior behaviors/thoughts/feelings)
3. Managing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
4. Living a balanced life

They suggest a lot of things we can do such as building in a system of rewards for ourselves to encourage self care, making sure we identify our emotional and physical limits and find our own yellow lights, changing our inner dialogue (the little voice inside us). They have a lot of tools like CBA, cost benefit analysis to help solidify our decisions, there are different things and wont mention them all here. The one called ABC is helpful and Ive been practicing with it. Its called Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. It helps improve emotional self management, and the idea is if we can better manage our emotions then we feel more empowered, and less likely to feel ourselves twisting emotionally, even if our spouse does.

Other people/events -> My beliefs/thoughts -> My feelings /behaviors

I can copy the pages from the smart family guide and think I can pm them if you want to read it over.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of the things Ive had to do since having my son is try to change some of my perfectionist ways.. LOL I cant keep up with every room in the house every day in terms of cleaning and organizing... I try to cut myself some slack and be ok with some mess.

I also try to streamline cooking.. one day I might make up main courses and stick them in the freezer, I buy lasagna now instead of making it most of the time.. shortcuts without guilt has been a challenge for me, but it allows for more time for other things.

Asking for help in things where its possible.. having a family member babysit and not feeling guilty if there is something that I want to do.. not just NEED to do.

I usually come on SR late because I wait and reserve some time at the end of the night for watching a tv show, coming online, reading a book, putting my feet up.. I don’t have to get up as early for work, so staying up a little late works ok for me as long as I use it in a relaxing way to wind down.
Exercise has helped me a lot of with stress too. Taking a walk at lunchtime while at work is also good. Ive found I can give myself usually a good half hour if my son is watching one of his favorite videos, or his little learning game. And its ok to use this time for me..

One of the things online I enjoy is Pinterest.. where you collect and pin things that are inspiring etc.. its almost like an inspiration board to me. And its something I can spend 15 minutes on, or get lost in for an hour.

Saying no is also necessary at times because I cant do it all

Facebook is a good example.. I had an account and got rid of it when I was separated from my husband. Ive thought about opening it up again because it would be nice to share pics of my son with family members and friends.. BUT I really don’t have time or the energy to get involved in the lives of all my distant relatives.. I just recently found out one of my cousins moved. Another relative was shocked I hadn’t been keeping up with the ongoing saga on her facebook page. Its not that I don’t care, or wouldn’t be there in support if they asked, but I just cant keep up with everyone and I don’t want to feel pressured to do so.. this may change but right now I have to cut these things out to give myself more time and less stress.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh wow Charley this is a great thread!

Hmm? What do I do? Well, I make sure to eat healthy, get enough sleep, and exercise and meditate to relieve stress.

I also, come here to meet and chat with my buds!

If I don't take care of myself....then, who will?

I learned that very serious lesson a couple years ago when switching from the pills to sub....and detoxing off Xanax. I became so very sick....probably the sickest and weakest I've ever been. It was then that I promised I would never ever become as sick as I was that day....not if I could help it. (That is very different from getting a disease that makes me sick) I made myself sick...by allowing it to happen by not caring for myself.