Notices

I think I have a drinking problem

Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dd1

I think I have a drinking problem

So, I don't know what is considered a drinking problem but I think I may have one. I'm 30 years old with 2 kids and a wonderful husband but yet I feel the need to drink wine. Why?

I t started after having my now 1 year old. I struggled having 2 kids, I exclusively breast fed and started to feel so down. I would have a glass of wine to take of the edge at the end of the day but soon a glass turned in to a bottle and so on. Anyway now I feel like I need a drink. I can go a few days without but then I give in. This weekend I drank with friends and I got so ridiculously drunk, I was this horrible selfish person who didn't care about anyone or anything. I know I need to stop but just not sure how.

Thanks for reading x
Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Welcome to the forum DD1. You will get lots of support here.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you think you have a drinking problem....

the chances are very good that you do.

If you do....

The chances are very good that it will get worse - not better - if left to continue.

You've come to a very good place to get support, understanding and guidance for stopping drinking.

Have a read around here, get to know the place, start to understand what addiction and alcoholism are all about - look for the similarities you share with the stories (don't look for the differences).

If you're ready to live in sobriety, you can. And I can tell you from my own experience that it is far, far better than drinking ever was.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

high and welcoem dd1

I think most of us started drinking 'just to take the edge off' only to see it become something a lot bigger and out of control...

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We are here to support you in your goal of living a sober life.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, DD.

For me, I can't really recall when it changed from "taking the edge off" to "I need this", but all I know is that it did, and there's no going back when that happens. Good luck - I find that posting and being active in these forums certainly does help.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome dd, yes, when we start to ask ourselves if we have a problem the answer is usually a resounding yes. As others have mentioned, this is the beginning of something that can and will get far worse if not corrected early.

Another concern is, are you still breastfeeding while getting drunk? I hope not.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok. So you have a drinking problem. And now you know. That is a very important first step. Waffling on that threshold issue is a recipe for failure.

By reading the different sections here at SR, you will find many helpful ways to address your issue. And you will find a lot of very knowledgable, supportive people.

I know it did.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome its nice to meet you
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, dd1.

Crossing over from wanting a drink to needing a drink was, for me, crossing a major threshold; it then became a rapid slide down the slippery slope.

Wine was my poison, too. The good news is that you can leave it and alcoholism behind you and move forward into a better way of living.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I am a mommy who used alcohol to unwind also. It slowly but surely got out of control. It progresses and gets worse, I can promise you that. SR is a great resource! Glad you are here.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome dd1
Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you dd1. I started out the same way - just used it to cope and relax. Gradually it took more & more to give me the same feeling. In the end I was drinking all day, every day. I didn't see the warning signs like you are. Good to have you with us.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

DD1 I was always a binge drinker when I was younger, but mainly weekends. Having 2 kids close together and being 'trapped' at home many evenings made it so easy to let heavy drinking takeover til it was every night. It's not a good place to be, and obviously not great when responsible for young lives (thank goodness for my husband). It's great that you have found SR, this place is a great resource. Hope you find some of the posts helpful and can take the steps away from alcohol. A warm welcome to you x
Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dd1

Thank you for the warm welcome, I will be floating around the forum seeing what similarities I have like someone suggested rather than differences. I don't always get drunk, some times it is just a glass or two and sometimes low alcohol wine to pace myself but I'm just feeling like I need it to take off the edge if you know what I mean.

And no, I'm not drunk when Breast feeding, I made that mistake once and felt over welmed with guilt to what could have happened. Although before I began drinking more my health visitor said it was ok to have a few as it does not go in to my milk and the dangers are more off dropping or rolling on baby. I put my children before anything but fear I may end up going down a slippery slope if you know what you mean.

Thanks again for your kind replies x
Old 03-13-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

we all know exactly what you mean.....

most of us have slid down that slippery slope. Some of us a long long way.

and, for many of us... it all began with a vague notion we 'might have a drinking problem'.

for me, I successfully pushed that thought away until the circumstances of my life helped me along - it was no longer a "might".

may you find the support, strength and freedom to avoid that ugly ride.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes dd, we do know what you mean. It is drawing you in. The undertow is intensifying. A desperate attempt to reach shore is in order.