Notices

Educate me please! PAWS, recovery, AA...

Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Educate me please! PAWS, recovery, AA...

Hi everyone,

I joined SR on Sunday and I'm deeply appreciative of all the support - I've already learnt so much and feel like I'm taking a step forward.

I have a few questions that research hasn't really helped me answer and I thought I'd put them to the floor:

1) What is PAWS?
(As BP2 sufferer I thought I was in the midst of another depressive episode but I'm wondering if - 4 months sober - this could be that? I don't really know, never heard of PAWS before today...)

2) What really is the difference between sobreity and recovery?
(On my first post somebody mentioned that "quitting drinking was the first step in recovery" - this is equally intriguing and daunting to me. I'd like to know more, as, though I've made it thus far alone and without following any set program I'm feeling a little lost and a lot confused and I obvs. really don't want to relapse.

TIA!

Here's hoping everyone is having a good day. Strength, love and gratitude to you all xxx
Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dvivre read this PAWS | Digital Dharma

By being sober your in recovery, recovery takes place by havin a sober plan of action of things youl do to remain sober

Have a great day my friend
Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long did you drink JD? I am giving myself at least the rest of my life to decide if I have any permanent damage. I am recovered from alcoholism by making the firm decision to never drink again and follow through with that plan daily. As for "getting back" a life (as the word re-cover implies)---I don't want that "ME" back. My previous ways of escape served me not so I'm done with that. We are writing a new chapter here and the author is YOU. Love yourself and make it a worthy read.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recover means to me, a fundamental change in what drives me, motivates me, my reactions to life and society.

If all i did was just stop drinking..... I'd just be a problem person rather than a problem drinker.

Stopping drinking is a solution to drunkeness. Nothing more, nothing less.

If every single one of my problems, was related to my Drunkeness, then obviously stopping getting drunk would suffice.

But they weren't........ Not by a very long shot.

So opinions vary on this topic, but anyway, there's mine
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of variation in the definitions of sobriety and recovery.

For some the terms are synonomous.

For me sobriety is not drinking...recovery is not drinking and all the other stuff I need to do to be happy content and at peace.

D
Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Jd.
I cannot comment on PAWS.
I agree with the last couple responses concerning 'sobriety' and 'recovery'.

Some circles lump recovery and sobriety into a single concept. Meaning just because you don't drink doesn't mean you are sober. It's all semantics.
Go with what Dee and Hawks say about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.
IMO sober is when no alcohol has been consumed for a period of 1 day into a time frame of years.

By just stopping drinking we still have the same individual with the same issues that they drank about. Recovery is the living mentally and emotionally in a healthy manner.

For me it’s being comfortable in my own skin most of the time.

It’s not a snap the finger situation for instant comforts alcohol seemed to provide but requires work and change which takes awhile, but well worth it.

BE WELL
Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, this has been enlightening.

Anattaboy, after reading your question I realize I don't know how to answer it. Overall, I've been drinking for 10 years. I've bern a binge drinker for about 8 of those, and for the past 3 I can say that severe bingeing turned into daily abuse. After attempts at moderating I learned it would have to be all or nothing if I wanted real recovery.

And therein lies the answer to my own question. I recognised I had problems and drinking exacerbated them. 4.5 months sober and the same problems are making themselves known again.

I have been implementing large lifestyle changes to be better overall, but I've never conceptualised a recovery plan. I imagined that pure abstinence plus exercise and a few other healthy lifestyle choices would be enough but I'm realizing there's a lot of mental and emotional leg work to be done.

Does anyone have any advice for something like a "recovery plan"? I realize there's a lot of literature on this but it's all very overwhelming, which is why I'm here. It seems more valuable as a disscuion (and not nearly as lonely) as opposed to passively receiving info online.

Once again, thank you all for your help and support. I don't know why it's taken so long for me to recognize that this was a viable source of support as opposed to looking to my peers who have no experience or education in the matter.

Your help is truly helping me and it is deeply appreciated.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee is probably the best person to ask if you want advice on self recovery.

He's been at it for eight years

Must have a few clues by now.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here Jdvivre
Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Joie de Vivre! I like your name.

I noticed after a few months sober that I had a hard time concentrating, focusing my mind. I was forgetful and easily distracted. My sleep was ok, but still not as good as it is now (five years in). PAWS was the most logical explanation of what was happening to me. It stopped bothering me after a year or so sober.

For my recovery plan, I came to SR often, very often, and had weekly sessions with an addiction counselor. I found her very helpful and liked getting her feedback, even tho I was stubborn and arrogant when I first went to her. I was still drinking so didn't make much progress until I finally got sober. But her help was a big factor in my getting sober.

If you can find a good addiction counselor, I'd recommend it. She helped me tremendously.

There are many ways to get and stay sober. Read around on the site. Lots of different methods and programs. Many here do it with just the support of SR.

Congrats on four months sober!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, least.

I'd love to find a counsellor but I currently live in a non-English speaking country.
I've learnt recently that there's an AA meeting in my city, but it is open and I am nervous to attend - there's a very firm stigma against mental illness here and a very real possibility I could lose my job. Sad, but a reality I'm afraid.

I'll be getting back home in a few months and am really looking forward to finding a therapist. I've been alone in this too long.

SR has been my saving grace this week. I had a meltdown over the weekend and although I didn't drink I felt destructive and ate ALL the junk food. I was devastated by Sunday night and it was only then that I realized sobriety/abstinence isn't enough. So, SR to the rescue.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle paved the way for me. I wanted a spiritual connection, but I needed advice on how to change my thinking. This book did it for me. Plus, I use SR every day, and have for years, and I never fail to be inspired and grateful when I come here.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can't have a counselor right now, lean heavily on SR. There's always someone here, any time of day or night. You never have to feel alone. You've got all of us.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Recover means to me, a fundamental change in what drives me, motivates me, my reactions to life and society.

If all i did was just stop drinking..... I'd just be a problem person rather than a problem drinker.

Stopping drinking is a solution to drunkeness. Nothing more, nothing less.

If every single one of my problems, was related to my Drunkeness, then obviously stopping getting drunk would suffice.

But they weren't........ Not by a very long shot.

So opinions vary on this topic, but anyway, there's mine
This is VERY poignant, thank you Hawks. THIS is why I'm here - these are fairly commonsense views but clearly backed by experience and worded in a way I hadn't considered ~ really, really helpful.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hasve a nice day Jvivre
Old 03-12-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jdvivre - Yes, keep close to SR for now. I am quite new here too, and it is helping me to do that even if only by reading a lot around the boards. It's also a good place to let out some of the hiddenness/ you know - the secrets that also go with alcohol abuse. Offload some of that here in absence of a counsellor for now. Best wishes on progress and keeping close to yourself and here...
Old 03-12-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I believe in PAWS
Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Redlady,

To be honest I'm not convinced either but I trust that if enough people have experienced it for there to be a good body of research on it that there must be some truth to it. I'm hesitant to ascribe my experiences to something like PAWS, hence my questions.

Trouble is I've been suffering from BP2 for a few years and I denied the diagnosis for the longest time, too. I thought it impossible to be real depression/Hypomania in the light of my heavy drinking. However, since having quit I've suffered the same cycles of Hypomania and depression despite my healthy lifestyle changes. I recently experienced an episode of anxiety worse than I ever have, followed by a source less depression.

The truth is I don't know. I don't know if any of its true. But I do know I want to understand why I'm having these experiences, what the connections are and how to protect myself against the horrible consequences.

I've decided recently that accepting a "label" isn't necessarily to shirk responsibility or to have a scapegoat as much as it is to pinpoint a problem in order to live better.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've decided recently that accepting a "label" isn't necessarily to shirk responsibility or to have a scapegoat as much as it is to pinpoint a problem in order to live better.
I agree.

I believe in PAWS because it affected me exactly as it was described. And it did go away after a year or so of being sober.

Time heals a lot of wounds.