Notices

Acites?

Old 03-08-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acites?

I'm guess im just looking for some reassurance but I know no-one can help but a doctor. I'm absolutely crapping myself here. My tummy swolen and I feel like I'm retaining water everywhere. I'll be seeing doc tomorrow, totally sacred. I guess what's done is done. What an idiot! Pain in kidney region as well as tummy pain. Horrible fatigue. Think I'm screwed. :-(
Old 03-08-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you get to a hosp straight away?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not screwed. Your doctor will be able to give you more information tomorrow. Have you quit drinking?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be a good idea to go the ER. And, have faith that things will be okay.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are in pain, retaining fluids, bloated and having gastro symptoms, why not head to the ER today, Franky.

Better to be safe.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
they can start treatment today
good luck
Old 03-08-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
I probably should but I want to see my own doctor tomorrow. I'm thinking what is done is done. I can't believe I've let things get this bad and pray I'll be ok but can't help thinking what an ididot I've been, ughh!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
You're not screwed. Your doctor will be able to give you more information tomorrow. Have you quit drinking?
I was cutting down had last drink this am. Just two doubles as I had ringing in ears and felt like my heart was gonna pop out my chest and I got scared I might have a seizure! Never had one but you never know. I'm done now, for sure and I seriously mean that. This time really is different. If I get a chance, I'll never abuse my health again. I'm more afraid for my family, I don't want to hurt them.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Franky, your GP might not have a slot for you tomorrow. Why not go to the ER today - better to be safe and err on the side of caution.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sound silly bc I know my health is more important but I'm scared of the reactions I'll get from unfamiliar doctors. I Feel like scum.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope you can put aside those fears aside and seek treatment today, Franky.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone's suggestion: go to the ER now. Absolutely no reason to be ashamed, those doctors are very professional and have probably seen similar cases more times than you might think. Even if your condition is not as serious as you imagine, it would do a lot of good to your mind to take care of yourself today rather than spending another day in fear and uncertainty. They would also be able to help you to start detox and would make it much easier for you than what you can do alone. I've gone to ER with purely psych issues in the past a few times, and never regretted it.
Please go.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
It sound silly bc I know my health is more important but I'm scared of the reactions I'll get from unfamiliar doctors. I Feel like scum.
You are not scum, you are an alcoholic and you are sick.
Go to the ER. The doctors and nurses will help you and they won't bite you, it s forbidden by their work contract
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Franky,

No need to feel embarrassed about going into the ER. Those Drs treat people for alcohol related problems all the time. I went during my first attempt to quit and I was nervous as hell but everyone including the nurses were all very kind and understanding.
They will help you with the detox, possibly give you a prescription for something to ease withdrawals if they think you need it and get the ball rolling on assessing your health.

I think going right now will be a huge weight off your shoulders. There is a lot of support out there if you reach out.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Please go
today, let them help you today, start tx today

if you are showing the symptoms, go to ER, they can start you on diuretics if the abdomen swelling is due to drinking, also, the collected fluid might be infected
Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Get some real answers. Go now if you have the means and even if you don't. Talking about it will do little for your condition unless it's to the folks that can help you.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
I was cutting down had last drink this am. Just two doubles as I had ringing in ears and felt like my heart was gonna pop out my chest and I got scared I might have a seizure! Never had one but you never know. I'm done now, for sure and I seriously mean that. This time really is different. If I get a chance, I'll never abuse my health again. I'm more afraid for my family, I don't want to hurt them.
Funtimefranky- I am very concerned for you. If you are drinking since you're worrying about seizures/withdrawals, you absolutely need to communicate this to your doctor since you may need to medically detoxed. The body has an amazing capacity to recover with quitting drinking, so keep on remembering that. However, to get the help you need, you're going to have to be completely honest with your doctor.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My sister is in now-the doctors and nurses are very kind to her. Go toER now MUCH better to be safe than sorry. Time does count.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You want to treat this now before you turn worse. It is foolish to wait because you are worried about the doctors opinion....the hospital is better equipped to treat you if you turn septic and your own doctor can round on you tomorrow too. You need to get help and treatment for the symptoms now.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Molotov Kitty!

I suffered acites and jaundice about 20 months ago.... I did go to the ER, they diagnosed me in liver failure. Gave me an tranquilizer and told me to get me affairs in order. They wanted to admit me, but I refused against medical advise. Previously having a girlfriend in liver failure, I knew they wasn't much they could do but monitor vitals. She later did get a transplant, somehow but thats besides the point.

If I had listened to them, I might found things to be hopeless and continued to drink.I know others who have done that. However, they were wrong... I was not in failure. However, I did have alcohol induced hepatitis.

Having lived through it, ascites IS extremely painful....
I DID immediately stop drinking.
The ER will have you see a GI and perhaps a hepatologist.
Initially, they will put you on water pills....
If you do not get relief from that, you will have a parenthesis (weeks laters).

WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THE DRINK!

I find it interesting that we all think that that something can be done NOW. Instant gratification is a huge part of the AV and bleeds into all parts of our life and thinking. However, being under proper medical treatment is necessary.

(HUG)

HSJ