Notices

Acites?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Get to the hospital. I know all about the fear of strange doctors and their reactions, but your need for treatment overrides that. Yes, you might get unlucky and have a judgmental doctor, but that's honestly a chance worth taking.

I've been there before with having a doctor judge you or condemn you, and yes it sucks, but they're not all like that. Additionally, the hospital is going to have resources available to them that your regular doctor will not. In all liklihood you will go into your doctor tomorrow and have him/her send you to the hospital anyway. You're likely just prolonging the inevitible by waiting.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Franky, when you are able, please let us know how you are.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Franky, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope you're doing well and okay.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Check in Franky and let us know how you are please
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HotSauceJeff View Post
I suffered acites and jaundice about 20 months ago.... I did go to the ER, they diagnosed me in liver failure. Gave me an tranquilizer and told me to get me affairs in order. They wanted to admit me, but I refused against medical advise. Previously having a girlfriend in liver failure, I knew they wasn't much they could do but monitor vitals. She later did get a transplant, somehow but thats besides the point.

If I had listened to them, I might found things to be hopeless and continued to drink.I know others who have done that. However, they were wrong... I was not in failure. However, I did have alcohol induced hepatitis.

Having lived through it, ascites IS extremely painful....
I DID immediately stop drinking.
The ER will have you see a GI and perhaps a hepatologist.
Initially, they will put you on water pills....
If you do not get relief from that, you will have a parenthesis (weeks laters).

WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THE DRINK!

I find it interesting that we all think that that something can be done NOW. Instant gratification is a huge part of the AV and bleeds into all parts of our life and thinking. However, being under proper medical treatment is necessary.

(HUG)

HSJ
Thank you for your post. I went to my GP first thing on Monday morning. Unfortunately, I did not get to see my regular GP as she was off. She knows I had a problem but thinks it stopped years ago. Anyway, there was a new GP, he was very young and I felt awkward. I told him I had a big problem in the past but I had reduced considerably. I should not have lied I know. He told me that the amounts I told him were still over that which is recommended. Anyway, he examined me and thought my liver might be enlarged but said he was not sure how my stomach looks normally??? I agree The swelling in my stomach had gone down some at that point but it was still swollen and uncomfortable. He ordered liver function, kidney function, glucose test, bone profile etc and wants me to wait until the results are in. I will return on Friday to see one of my regular docs for results. I'm not sure I got enough testing but realise it's my fault for not being completely honest, I will be on Friday. That said, I told him about the swelling in my ankles and tummy, the bruising, fatigue, stabbing pains in body, itching etc. twice I told him I will not be touching another drink and twice he said a glass of wine is fine?? I told him I use to drink a big bottle of vodka a day plus, so his advice is pants sorry and he agreed I was still drinking too much by what I told him. He had not ticked any of the hep boxes on the blood request form? Should he have? My tummy did swell back up but is slightly less swollen than it was. It's uncomfortable and I have pain in the kidney region though that has eased lots today. I've not touched a drop since around lunch time Sunday so over two days now. I've not craved it once, I am done with it for good! Im afraid to get my results and wonder if my GP will order more tests.nwhat should I expect now? Are the blood tests enough guys or do you always need a scan in this situation? Thank you everyone for all of your help. Sorry if this is muddled, I can't think straight of late.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went to the dr.

We can't give any kind of medical advice here, but it sounds like the dr is doing lots of tests and won't know much until he sees the results. It also sounds like you have little confidence in him, so talking to your regular dr is probably a good idea.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

a second opinion never hurts.
I'd definitely try to see your reg. Dr. if you can as well.
Good luck on the tests and hope you're feeling better!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

HI Franky, I am glad you decided to go to the doctors, No one likes to go to the doctors but things like this you cant do it yourself. Its always good to tell the truth to the doctor no matter what it is. So they can help you get this in control.

No more drinking, it seems like it is irritating the whole thing. Take care of yourself.

Good luck!!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I would like to see your name changed to Sobertime Franky.
PLEASE do not be 2nd guessing what tests the doctor ordered in reponse to Dr. Google searching....PLEASE do not be embarrassed to tell the doctor the truth, because they are NOT mind readers. They go on the information the pateint gives to them.
The good news is that if anything comes back grossly out of normal range, they will call you right away to come in or repeat the tests, test further. You now have a baseline (starting point). Your next round of tests will get better as you heal.
The best thing you can do to help yourself is to drink a lot of water/juices, eat healthy, get some rest and try to stay calm. If you crave sugar, use fresh fruits. Your body is going to have some reactions at some point, you might have some lower GI issues until you start digesting well.
Congrats on your 2 days. We have ALL been there.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I would like to see your name changed to Sobertime Franky.
PLEASE do not be 2nd guessing what tests the doctor ordered in reponse to Dr. Google searching....PLEASE do not be embarrassed to tell the doctor the truth, because they are NOT mind readers. They go on the information the pateint gives to them.
The good news is that if anything comes back grossly out of normal range, they will call you right away to come in or repeat the tests, test further. You now have a baseline (starting point). Your next round of tests will get better as you heal.
The best thing you can do to help yourself is to drink a lot of water/juices, eat healthy, get some rest and try to stay calm. If you crave sugar, use fresh fruits. Your body is going to have some reactions at some point, you might have some lower GI issues until you start digesting well.
Congrats on your 2 days. We have ALL been there.
Thank you. I'Ve been juicing the last two days and eating raw with some protein. Watch some videos by Dr Cabot. Hoping to cleanse my liver. All I can do now is wait. I've prepared myself as much as I can and will have to deal with whatever damage is done. Sobertime Frankie sounds good! Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I hope you are able to get some answers on Friday. Like Jupiters recommended, you can always get a second opinion with your regular doctor, but I would wait to see what happens on Friday first.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm sure you will get some answers. I went into panic mode several times when my belly would bloat out and get so hard. Inches over night. Very painful. But for me it always ended up being gas. I had to change my diet.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A simple blood test can show up many health conditions and even minor changes so I would not worry that you have not been scanned or had blood extracted to within an inch of your life just yet.

I would put the 'glass of wine' comment down to the GP not being an alcoholic him/herself.
They are human, they cannot fully imagine or understand whats its like unless they suffer themselves.
There are medics that do suffer from alcoholism and there are one's that don't.

At the end of the day its how you view the harm a 'glass of wine' could potentially bring you, not them. Only you know that.

I have put myself through the horrid mental torture that is drinking, worrying about my health, then ridiculously drinking again because I'm worried!

I think it is a type of mental torture only we here can understand.
That checking of your eyes for jaundice or your tummy for fluid.
The desperate search on the internet for signs and symptoms, nearly not daring to read.

However, since I stopped drinking over 3 years ago, that type of mental anguish is not something I have to deal with at all.
I also go to the GP when I need to, rather than worry or try to stop drinking for a bit before I do dare go.
I don't have to pluck up courage anymore.
It is so peaceful not putting every bruise, pain or gripe down to terminal liver failure anymore!

You can have that feeling too if you want it.
Just stay away from the drink.

I wish you the best xx
Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
A simple blood test can show up many health conditions and even minor changes so I would not worry that you have not been scanned or had blood extracted to within an inch of your life just yet.

I would put the 'glass of wine' comment down to the GP not being an alcoholic him/herself.
They are human, they cannot fully imagine or understand whats its like unless they suffer themselves.
There are medics that do suffer from alcoholism and there are one's that don't.

At the end of the day its how you view the harm a 'glass of wine' could potentially bring you, not them. Only you know that.

I have put myself through the horrid mental torture that is drinking, worrying about my health, then ridiculously drinking again because I'm worried!

I think it is a type of mental torture only we here can understand.
That checking of your eyes for jaundice or your tummy for fluid.
The desperate search on the internet for signs and symptoms, nearly not daring to read.

However, since I stopped drinking over 3 years ago, that type of mental anguish is not something I have to deal with at all.
I also go to the GP when I need to, rather than worry or try to stop drinking for a bit before I do dare go.
I don't have to pluck up courage anymore.
It is so peaceful not putting every bruise, pain or gripe down to terminal liver failure anymore!

You can have that feeling too if you want it.
Just stay away from the drink.

I wish you the best xx
Thanks so much for your post. I relate to everything you wrote but that's bc Im an alcoholic. I still don't feel comfortable saying that but I know it's true. Actually, I'm an addict... I believe I have the potential to get addicted to anything! Nothing by halves, all or nothing.