Notices

Advice doctor visit

Old 03-04-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice doctor visit

Hi, me again. I'm officially two months sober since this week. With that said, I'm still worried about my mental health( I have inner headaches.) and long to go see a neurologist. The problem is that nobody here is taking any of my complaints seriously and I feel like I need to do something desperate to catch their attention, which I know wouldn't be smart, since I've been prone to that kind of destructive behavior before.

My question to all of you would be: how did you build up the courage to finally make that decision, to admit to a professional that you were an addict? To reveal all to your family?

And then, how did it go? Were you dissapointed, ashamed or relieved after you had a check-up?

I'm just curious, as I'm still very anxious and feel like I've hit rock-bottom.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just be honest with your Dr - my guess is they've heard it all before

I'm not sure what inner headaches are or why you feel you need to make a scene to get seen about them though?

If your current Dr isn't responding to your concerns in the way you like, why not simply get a second opinion?

D
Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I really agree with D ive spoken about this before (how hard it is to make that step and open up & be honest to a Dr for the first time)

its nervewracking and hard because its hard admitting a problem at first and plus your in early sobriety congrats on your 2 months btw

speak & be brutally honest with your Dr and talk about what help is avalible ie AA, Smart, group therapy, addiction therapists etc

your not alone we'l be right here when you have spoken to the Dr

Good luck and kudos on taking this action it will help you IPWML
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

around these parts in USA, it is a multi-step process. Seeing doctors is a layered process,
unless you are independently wealthy.
Just to see a psychiatrist it takes over a month. But you have to see the psychologist first then they forward you to the shrink.

I am wondering how one can tell the difference between an inner headache and an outer headache.
Most important thing is to be completely honest with the doctor. Alcohol causes a lot of bad things to the body and esp the brain. If you lie to the doctor you are cheating yourself.

Congrats on two months!