Notices

Starting my sobriety out of terror!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Starting my sobriety out of terror!

Hey Guys

After watching a documentary about young people dying of liver disease I've decided to become sober..I really only drink once a week because hangovers make my life hell but it's been worse and at the peak 3 times a week.

I recently got my liver function blood test, moderate elevation.. after losing some weight it went down to more or less normal, but they've been going up and down for years. and after that documentary i've gone full hypochondriac (any positive stories here would be helpful haha) I'll probably go for a ultrasound after been sober for a while.. try to minimise the bad news. I always thought that i could wait till my 30's to worry about my liver becoming a useless rock

anywho I guess terror is a pretty good motivator to change :P so day 6 sober.. but day 7 will be the real test... you know how ritual can be a powerful force..
Wish me luck and a long life :P
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just google search for the livers regeneration capacity.

It's our only organ capable of amazing regeneration.

Within about a year to two years (depending on age), it can be as good as new
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Well, we're not supposed to give medical advice here and I hate to talk anyone out of sobriety, but if it makes you feel better I thought that cirrhosis usually occurs to long time daily drinkers, not young weekend warriors. And yes, the liver is good at regenerating, but not once you reach the point of cirrhosis/no return.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same! well I had a year or two when I drank a bit more.. but no more than 2 or 3 days a week.. I mean if I could handle it I probably would have drank more.. but my hangovers are pretty bad. So i downgraded to once a week with company so i would feel less like an alcoholic. I'm like.. if i was doing damage it'd b slow and it probobly is. i mean liver enzymes raised just means some inflamation dosn't mean fibrosis or scaring.. n i keep telling myself that. but the documentary had a guy drinking every day for only a few years n died at 28.

To be honest.. i don't think drinking is worth ever feeling like this again.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never take your liver for granted; treat it with respect, just like the rest of your body.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Grantious

D
Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've read milk thistle pills help the liver. I had no liver problems and drank heavily every weekend since college. Blood pressure was another story. It got into dangerous territory. 190/100. Now I'm back down to 110/60, no drugs for hypertension, just alcohol free.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Never take your liver for granted; treat it with respect, just like the rest of your body.
Sound advice.. but tbh i've never been amazing too my body. been a bit overweight now lost some.. intentionally which improved my liver function. used to smoke etc haha

when i lived at my friends during a bout of homelessness i was smoking a pack and a bit and drinking thoes horrid wine casks... not my best moment.
I've got some anxiety stuff... and sometimes i fixate on something like this and convince myself im at deaths door haha should wait it out.. althought i dont want to go back on my drinking thing. it really hasn't done me any favors anyway. back in the day it used to make me more sociable and happy barely does that haha.. is it worth death.. i think not haha
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Into the Void

If you're really worried about it, you can google the websites of reputable medical associations for trustworthy information. But honestly from what you are saying I don't see the reason for your level of concern. I guess people can get cirrhosis in a few years from really bad abuse, but those are probably outliers. People can get lung or esophogal cancer and die in their twenties as well, but it's statistically a very remote possibility.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
If you're really worried about it, you can google the websites of reputable medical associations for trustworthy information. But honestly from what you are saying I don't see the reason for your level of concern. I guess people can get cirrhosis in a few years from really bad abuse, but those are probably outliers. People can get lung or esophogal cancer and die in their twenties as well, but it's statistically a very remote possibility.
That's very true! Just panicking for next to no reason I guess. least someone else saying that is helping a bit. thanks still go back to the dr and follow up.. keep an eye tho of course
Old 02-24-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be good to yourself, Grantious. You are young and have your whole beautiful life in front of you. Make it a great one.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Exactly. You should take care of yourself and get checked out - but don't freak yourself out with unnecessary worrying. That's not healthy either.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

also another question.. about actual sobriety. Do you guys ever think "How will i have fun and interact with people sober" if so how did that pan out for you.. after quitting?
I have drunk friends and sober/drunk friends haha which makes this .. and i hate this word "journey" quite a difficult undertaking.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Funny thing, I now have a much better time sober than I did when I was drinking. I enjoy my friends so much more. I am listening to what my friends have to say instead of worrying where the bottle of wine went.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Funny thing, I now have a much better time sober than I did when I was drinking. I enjoy my friends so much more. I am listening to what my friends have to say instead of worrying where the bottle of wine went.
Really?! i mean i use alcahol as a tool to speak my mind.. and become interested in what other people are saying.. i can be pretty self absorbed otherwise..i kno it's all just rationalisations.. but cutting something out of your life. is scary, you can't help but ponder the implications
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grantious View Post
Really?! i mean i use alcahol as a tool to speak my mind.. and become interested in what other people are saying.. i can be pretty self absorbed otherwise..i kno it's all just rationalisations.. but cutting something out of your life. is scary, you can't help but ponder the implications
Absolutely.

I was scared when I stopped drinking, too, but I had reached a point where a life with alcohol was more frightening than a life without it. I knew it was time.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Absolutely.

I was scared when I stopped drinking, too, but I had reached a point where a life with alcohol was more frightening than a life without it. I knew it was time.
Thank you. it's nice to get some perspective from people who are going though some simular stuff
Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice talking with you, Grantious.

Hope to see you around the threads!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome. Same
Old 02-25-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Relaxxxxxxx. Your probably not dying...I meet people all the time with years and years of alcohol abuse and they are doing just fine. Try not to worry too much.