Notices

Long time lurker, first time poster

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time lurker, first time poster

Hello folks,

I've been following this forum for a couple of years, as I have been battling an addiction to alcohol. I am what many would call a "functioning" alcoholic, as I have a full time job, a wife, and an 8 month old daughter. We have a good life by many standards. The term "functioning" is really a misnomer, as I realize that I'm not functioning near my potential.

I've realized that I'm drinking due to impulse and an irrational drive to drink. Each night is a bit different, but daily consumption is around a pint or so of liquor every night. If it's not liquor, it's wine, or it's high gravity beer. On the weekends, I can down a fifth of liquor in a day. This has been going on for about 6 years.

My health is deteriorating, and I know that this road will end in disaster. What started as self-medication has become a crutch and an obstacle to true healing. I absolutely have to quit drinking. For my wife. For my daughter. For my family and friends. And I have to quit for me. I don't want to be a statistic.

Earlier tonight I had 3 glasses of wine, but I will not have anymore. This is where it begins. I am not going to go across the street to buy more.

So I want to open up and expose myself and my problem. I think you all have a great community here that can help anyone. I hope I can benefit from your wisdom and help others in the future. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, caadten, to SR. Glad you came here and posted instead of crossing the street.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, caadten. Sounds like you have great reasons to quit. I bet you won't really be giving anything up. You just have to get through the garbage alcoholic self-talk. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here to help you stay sober.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Glad you're here, caadten!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, caadten! This is a great place to be.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will certainly be checking in tomorrow. Good night.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!! So glad you came out of the shadows & into the light. You won't regret it - I promise.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Caadten!!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome caadten

D
Old 02-25-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, Caadten! Welcome.

I'm "only" on day 2 of sobriety. I considered myself a functional alky as well, but I wasn't functioning very well.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey caad, do I detect a bike reference in your username? I could have written your post. and have the fault of being more of a lurker than poster, which means just what the old-timers will suspect: that in spite of my join date of a year ago I've only had a few weeks of sobriety here and there. We should both resolve to post more often and be accountable. the old saying just rings so true: if nothing changes, nothing changes. welcome
Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome.

your description haunts me with images of my own history. Things got worse from there for me - though many would still have considered my descent within the "functional" level.

I realize more and more every day how far from 'functional' that really was.

It wasn't always easy - but it has been well worth it. And life gets better and better all the time; 14 months and counting.

You'll find great support and community here. You've made a great choice and set an intention for a more joyous, rich and full life than you've ever imagined.

NOW.....

Comes the action.

We're here to help if we can.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome caadten
Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. It really helps to know that I'm not alone in my experience and struggle with addiction, and that many of you can relate. Today has been a good day. I don't feel great, and I think it's a mix of the alcohol taking its toll on my digestive system and gaining so much weight over the last year.

Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
hey caad, do I detect a bike reference in your username? I could have written your post. and have the fault of being more of a lurker than poster, which means just what the old-timers will suspect: that in spite of my join date of a year ago I've only had a few weeks of sobriety here and there. We should both resolve to post more often and be accountable. the old saying just rings so true: if nothing changes, nothing changes. welcome
GetSmart - It is a bike reference! I have a 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 road bike with a 105 groupo and my prized Mavic Ksyrium wheels on it. In 2013, I had over 100 days of sobriety, got back into cycling, lost 45 lbs, and was averaging about 150 miles a week on the bike. I even had a cat 5 racing license and raced in a criterium race, which is probably the most physically demanding and frightening thing I've done. My join date was back in the fall of 2013, which was a month or two after I had slipped back into drinking regularly. At that point, my drinking was back to the "norm."

The reason I've decided to jump into this forum is because I've realized that in the past, my motivation to quit drinking has been for fitness, bragging rights, and to prove that I'm really not an addict, but I need something more than that. I wanted to prove that I didn't have a problem. Now, I've realized that I do have a real problem, and I hope that I've caught it early enough to address it. Now, I want my motivation to be the conquering of this addiction's hold on my mind and body. It's been ruling over me as my God for too long.

As much as this is a wake up call for me, I'm still fighting cravings even as I type this. This is quite the beast; I KNOW that the desire to be drunk is foolish, unhealthy, and damaging for me in every way. But I still want it. I've talked to some close friends about it, and they don't get it. I'm here to listen and learn from those of you who are fighting the same things. I guess I'm determined to not "want" it anymore and to fight that basic temptation and kick it in the face. The scary thing for me is the possibility that I will never NOT "want" alcohol. How do I deal with that?

Thanks very much for listening.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

I found that some people I talked about my problem with Alcohol with, have a problem of their own and are in denial.

Now I only talk about it here, to my SR family.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you getting on?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crasfd View Post
How are you getting on?
So far, I've been sitting at my computer screen this evening browsing through the forums. I'm trying to resist these cravings. They seem to be tapering off, but I can definitely tell that I'm a bit on edge and anxious without having the booze in my system. It's like my mind and body are asking for some sort of sedative to help.

Thank you for checking up.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Caadten
First few days are the worse but it does get easier. I was very "functional" as well until I quit and then realized how much more I was.