Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

Hey All. I'm having weird drinking dreams. This sound about normal?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I have had drinking dreams. What makes yours weird?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's like I spend the whole dream chasing it, hardly ever get it and if I do, actually wake up feeling hungover?????? Have to convince myself that I didn't really drink when I wake up.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dreams can leave the feeling going when you wake up.
Like a nightmare for example, you wake up still scared.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had drinking dreams where after waking up I'm unsure if I really drank the night before for a few seconds. I know what you mean about thinking you might be hungover for a second. I've woken up thinking oh no how much did I drink last night. Then it comes into focus that it was a dream and it's a relief. The mind can do funny things.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's very common.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not unusual. I've had many drinking dreams. The weirdest was the one where I dreamed I had started drinking again and I was telling my mother. While she and I were talking she kept kicking the bottom of my chair with her pointy-toed shoe and I could feel it through the chair. When I woke I discovered my dog had climbed into bed and was attempting to make more room for herself by pushing my butt with her feet.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonsensical View Post
not unusual. I've had many drinking dreams. The weirdest was the one where i dreamed i had started drinking again and i was telling my mother. While she and i were talking she kept kicking the bottom of my chair with her pointy-toed shoe and i could feel it through the chair. When i woke i discovered my dog had climbed into bed and was attempting to make more room for herself by pushing my butt with her feet.
lol!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had a lot of weird dreams lately as well since I have been sober. Usually weird twists on things that have happened in my past- even years ago.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeap, still get them, hang in there!!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I noticed a strange progression in my drinkinking or pot smoking dreams from early sobriety to now.

At first, I would wake up distraught, glad it had been a dream and I hadn't in fact relapsed.

After a year or two, I would notice a change in my reaction to dream drinking, a nagging thought creeping in that, oh, wait, I'm in recovery and why am I drinking?

That type of dream hung around for a year or two, with me struggling in my dream to equate the dichotomy of being in recovery and having a beer in my hand or being in a position where I was smoking pot.

In the last year or two, I have actually been in dreams where I decline that joint or beer bottle.

It's amazing to me that over the years even my subconscious has accepted sobriety.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a few after I stopped drinking where I would drink in the dream. First time I woke up after a drinking dream I was was a little angry and thought I had actually had a drink.

The last couple I remember saying to someone in the dream that I quit drinking and cannot ever have alcohol again. Maybe my sub-conscious mind finally gets it.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dreams/Nightmares fade with time
Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh god yea had another one myself the other night. Drunk 2 glasses before realised what I was doing then thought may as well finish the bottle seeing as already messed up. Woke up feeling really ashamed and then realised was a dream and was so relieved lol. Weird thing was the friend who had initially offered me the drink in the dream is the one who has supported me 100% and kept telling me I had to stop completely before I was ready to listen. Subconscious is a weird thing xx
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys xxx