Notices

AA online??

Old 02-15-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA online??

Sorry for 2 threads tonight but been wondering and thought best people to ask are you lovely lot here so...I'm still in counselling though reduced to every fortnight now as had less to discuss really in a way since I quit. Like I've mentioned before it's in the evenings I really need support (hence here) rather than a Friday morning even though I am dreading the counselling ending as I've really got to like and depend on her (but that's another issue I suppose)...anyway I recognised that talking to the receptionist at my counselling was really useful the other week. He is the only person I've spoken to in real life that has gone through the same as me and it got me thinking that maybe it really would be an idea to try and get to meetings especially as my gp suggested the same a few days ago.
The problem is my daughter goes to her fathers only one day a week and it's not even the same day so I'm at a loss how to actually get to a regular meeting.
I can't take her with me as even without wanting her to know her father isn't a nice person and has been an absolute nightmare in the past and if he found out about this he would make my life a nightmare to be honest.
I don't really have anyone to have my daughter for me so that options out the window. I was thinking is there any online AA groups but then that's sort of defeating the original object of speaking to people face to face and would that really be worth it when I already have such good support here? I like the idea of having a 'sponsor' though too, I believe that's someone you can talk to on the phone when struggling? Sorry this has turned into another essay lol but grateful for any ideas and opinions xxxx
Old 02-15-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is an AA site. Google e-aa forum. You can request an internet sponsor at e-aa if you so desire. The forum is usually pretty active.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is also AA Online, you can find on Google. It's a real time chat room that also holds "meetings" at regular time intervals (including evening meetings). It's sometimes quite intense, a good attention training if you want to follow everything I used it for a little while a long time ago.

There are also Skype meetings, that I've never tried myself.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

www. intherooms has aa meetings online.

Last edited by newpage119; 02-15-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: put wrong url
Old 02-15-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I'll have a look at those. Would you say it's worth doing online when I'm on here anyway? Xx
Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JadedGirl View Post
Thanks guys I'll have a look at those. Would you say it's worth doing online when I'm on here anyway? Xx
Try and you will see what it gives you. If evenings are a problem, perhaps the daily online real time meetings could give you some structure and something to schedule/focus on.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I've used multiple sites to help me out. There is also xa-speakers.org which has recorded speaker meetings you can listen to.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have the same problem as you with regards to childcare. When I looked online for AA meetings in my county, it showed a lot that offered daycare. Those meetings seem to usually be held in churches. I would definitely look into that.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've not tried online meetings so I can't comment.
Thats probably more to do with my technical abilities than not wanting to though.
If I needed though I would try them. Nothing to loose.

Would AA meetings during the day be an option?
I used to be able to attend a few in my lunch hour from work.

I never really had a regular meeting I went to.
I just used to google on line where they were and what day of the week and what time and turn up to one.

I promise everyone is really welcoming.

I remember once meeting a lady at a meeting who travelled for work. She stayed in hotels most nights a week, but that could be in any part of the country. She told me her colleagues would get stuck into the bar every night.

She used to find a meeting near to where she was staying. Put the postcode and street in her sat nav and go there and meet new people and enjoy different meetings all over the country.

Her colleagues would try to persuade her to stay and drink, but she would say something like she needed some time out of the hotel and on her own and she was going for a long drive.
Her colleagues just got used to it in the end.
By the time she was back they were too tipsy to care where she had been.

I can't remember how old your daughter is but would it be possible she could go to a friends for a few hours after school and then you could go to a meeting? You could repay the favour by having the child over for a few hours one evening or weekend in exchange?

Do you have any friends or neighbours with older children who might sit with her for a few hours for a bit of cash?
I have some friends whose daughters want to babysit for my daughter when she is older? They want the cash and I would trust them to be safe. Its not like you would be out from 7pm to midnight or anything like that.

I understand you not wanting your ex to find out and not wanting to take your daughter.
I wouldn't take my child in all honesty.
AA is truly anonymous though if you do get chance to go to a meeting.
There is a lady who works in my local supermarket who goes to one and a dad from my girls school that attends another.
Whenever we see each other, we never say anything. We just smile and nod.

Without a doubt, some of the nicest, friendliest, down to earth, cool, wise people I have ever met are the one's that I have met through AA.

I wish you the best xx
Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou for all the suggestions will definitely consider them. Xx