Notices

Starting over

Old 02-14-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over

Sober for a year...relapsed after divorce many months ago. Looking for online support group to get back to recovery. Have been trying on my own for several weeks, but not much luck so far. Advice please....
Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Azmamasober View Post
Sober for a year...relapsed after divorce many months ago. Looking for online support group to get back to recovery. Have been trying on my own for several weeks, but not much luck so far. Advice please....
Welcome to SR. I am beginning day 14 of sobriety and could not have done it without this forum.

The best advice I can give is to visit here whenever you need a boost.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulation on one year of sobriety. Don't look at this as the "end" of your year of sobriety. You are still sober. You slipped up...made a mistake. So instead of using your slip up as a reason to beat yourself up (possibly leading to feeling depressed or dejected and using that as an excuse to drink) look at it as a learning lesson. Perhaps write down exactly the time line of events and thoughts leading you to drink after a year without it. Look for the break in the chain that most likely caused the mistake. Then, make a serious note of it. So as you move forward into more years of sobriety you can recognize what is a trigger or a dangerous situation for yourself and take steps to mitigate it and prevent it.

Kudos to everyone who gets sober and NEVER drinks again. That is awesome. But to everyone who does have a slip up. It in a strange way can be a real blessing. If, and ONLY if, you seriously use it to look at and IDENTIFY a flaw/weakness in your sobriety system.

I come from the military...and there is a famous saying amongst special forces operators that says "don't train until you get it right...train until you get it wrong"

In other words, you only really get good quality training after you screw up and can then identify the flaw in your plan/method.

So please don't beat yourself up...please use this...really use it...and move forward into another year of sobriety.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Azmamasober! It's good to have you with us. If you had a year sober you know it can be done; you can get it back!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Azmamasober. You've made a great decision in joining here. It's good to have you with us
Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Azmamasober. Support works wonders for many; you will find an abundance of that here at SR, as well as encouragement and understanding.

Take a look around the site; lots of really good information.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Az
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Check out the Daily Support threads in the Newcomers forums.

There are lots of places to plug-in and get support.

We're glad you've joined us.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Azmamasober!!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Azmamasober

How did you get sober last time?

D
Old 02-15-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Esspee View Post
Welcome to SR. I am beginning day 14 of sobriety and could not have done it without this forum. The best advice I can give is to visit here whenever you need a boost.
Hi, well the last time was when I got pregnant, so I knew I couldn't drink and plus I had no desire with morning sickness at first. I stayed sober while breast feeding, too, but decided to drink wine again a few months after. I wish I had never started again.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gdev99 View Post
Congratulation on one year of sobriety. Don't look at this as the "end" of your year of sobriety. You are still sober. You slipped up...made a mistake. So instead of using your slip up as a reason to beat yourself up (possibly leading to feeling depressed or dejected and using that as an excuse to drink) look at it as a learning lesson. Perhaps write down exactly the time line of events and thoughts leading you to drink after a year without it. Look for the break in the chain that most likely caused the mistake. Then, make a serious note of it. So as you move forward into more years of sobriety you can recognize what is a trigger or a dangerous situation for yourself and take steps to mitigate it and prevent it. Kudos to everyone who gets sober and NEVER drinks again. That is awesome. But to everyone who does have a slip up. It in a strange way can be a real blessing. If, and ONLY if, you seriously use it to look at and IDENTIFY a flaw/weakness in your sobriety system. I come from the military...and there is a famous saying amongst special forces operators that says "don't train until you get it right...train until you get it wrong" In other words, you only really get good quality training after you screw up and can then identify the flaw in your plan/method. So please don't beat yourself up...please use this...really use it...and move forward into another year of sobriety.
Thank you for such encouragement! I started drinking again many months ago...after some traumatic stuff in my life, somehow thought this time would be different.
I feel like if I could just stay sober an entire week, I could be back on track, but haven't got a week under my belt for months now.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It might help to remember back to how you quit the first time and borrow son of those same methods. Might need tp employ some new strategies but we are all here to help you.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey well done on starting again. Ok you've had a slip but remember your coping skills you used last time and keep posting. Xx
Old 02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Azmamasober. You are never alone.