Notices

Trying to be a better mom

Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to be a better mom

I'm trying to be a better mom but no matter how hard I try I always feel like I'm failing. My emotions are so overwhelming all I wanted to do is self medicate. I would give anything to go back in time find the confidence I need. I feel bad about everything I do. I question it all and I feel bad all the time. The drink is constantly calling my name lately.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
StayingAdrift

I completely understand how you feel. Our children need their mommas more than anything and we are suppose to be the strong ones, the backbone for the family.... But sometimes the burdens feel so heavy and feel we need just one day to melt away all our worries, but that one time will turn into 2,then a cycle spiraling out of control again. Try and talk with someone...get a babysitter and go out with a sober friend or to a spa instead. Your doing so well... U can keep this under you!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By staying sober you are being a better mother. It is hard but but it's a heck of a lot easier sober than drinking. it does get better the more sober time you have and your confidence will return. I agree about getting some 'me' time too-it recharges you and helps you feel better
Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Just want to show some support *hugs*
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a newly sober single Mom of three kids, oldest being 12, youngest being 3. Since being sober for only a month, I have been more snappy and being less tolerant and just feeling very stressed out. I apologize to my kids for being snappy or yelling at them (I am trying to be so more conscious of not doing this), and their response was "it's OK Mom, it's much better thank you drinking". I always drank to get away from the stress of juggling of being their only parent, working, taking care of the house and all the financial woes, but I realized being sober is my #1 priority, so I can be that Mom that they always have deserved.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you joined a mums club in your area for support

Theres a mums club on SR http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-11-a-19.html

Dont listen to your AV you got friends here you can pm & interact with your doing really well Charliee

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Charliee!!

Alcohol won't make anything better, in my experience it only seemed to make things worse!!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Charliee.

I'm not a mom so no first-hand experience, but I like what carla suggested. You might benefit from finding a hobby / activity for yourself only or mainly, something that interests and inspires you, that you could do independently of your family. Preferentially something that could engage you regularly, not only once or twice or rarely. We all need our "me time"... This might not only distract your from your occasional or recurring dark thoughts and feelings, but perhaps would also open up new avenues that you could explore, and that would not require you to be a good mom, good wife, or any other known role you typically like to associate with yourself. Something that does not involve alcohol and drinking-related places of course.