Alternative to AA

Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative to AA

I not sure that this is the right place to post this, but I think it is because I am looking for an open discussion which might include a discussion about AA not limit the discussion to only to the secular side. My understanding is that if I post in the secular forum, the conversation stays secular. I am looking for more than that here and am hoping that I will get more of an unbiased cross-section of responses here.

My RAW mentioned to me tonight while we were talking by phone that she might look into SmartRecovery. She has a very solid dual diagnosis of Bipolar disorder along with the alcoholism issue. My gut feeling says that both need to be managed for either to be managed. That said, does SmartRecovery suggest that its ok for an RA to drink after going through the SmartRecovery program and they now have the "tools to cope"? Do they condone moderation? Does the bipolar disorder diagnosis negate SmartRecovery as a viable program for short or long-term sobriety, or does it make CBT less effective? Can anybody offer objective information that CBT did not work for their As and why not?

I have read a lot of threads here and info on the Internet about Smart Recovery and AA. I guess I am just looking for more information that might be more relevant to my A.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

SMART Recovery is an abstinence-based program. I'm not familiar with it, myself, though I do know people who have had good results with it.

I can't speak to how it fits with dual diagnosis. I do know that NO program will work unless the alcoholic is thoroughly committed to getting sober and staying that way.

Is she working with a therapist or physician who specializes in dual diagnosis? The mental health piece and the alcoholism piece both have to be managed carefully. It's a challenge, for sure. I think having someone on the "outside" (e.g., a therapist) could help her make sure she stays on track.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Lexie. She is currently in rehab and is expected to transition out the second week of February. Her BPD diagnosis came in rehab and was based on self-reported behaviors she has had since being a teen. She began drinking at 30, so the BPD diagnosis is a good diagnosis as far as we are concerned.

When she comes out, I think she will be going to a therapist who I am currently seeing for me. She will have individual sessions and we will have marital counseling as well. This particular therapist has some very strong credentials in the the areas of bipolar disorder, addictions, and alcoholism, as well as extensive experience with both couples and individuals in therapy. The only issue is if my RAW will like the counselor and find her as helpful as I do. Of course, she will be free to pick and choose as she pleases, but I think at least initially, this counselor is the best we can hope for.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Wait a second. Is she on Meds for the Bipolar?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think a fair number of people successfully cobble pieces of AA and AVRT and CRAFT. But isn't this up to her? My one caution is be sure she isn't in a group who wants to mess with her psych meds.

What support are you setting up for yourself?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Honey, I'm not following a program, however I would be surprised if any program had a policy against physician prescribed meds for a medical condition.

SR itself is an excellent support for many.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

she said she MIGHT check out SMART.........whatever program or lack of program SHE chooses, that's up to her. any program is only as good as the effort the individual puts IN to it. I can read recipes all day long, that doesn't put dinner on the table............

now is the time for you to find your own program or support or goal based process. no matter what SHE does, you're gonna need to be ok. with a dual diagnosis of addiction and bipolar, you're going to have your hands full dealing with this person.......you need your own tools and insights and guidelines in how you will move forward.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Wait a second. Is she on Meds for the Bipolar?
She is on Tegretol. I know what the warnings are for that medicine, but I also know there is no shortage of Internet commandos who say, "Sure, no problem mixing Tegretol with alcohol. I do it all the time with no ill effects."

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
I think a fair number of people successfully cobble pieces of AA and AVRT and CRAFT. But isn't this up to her? My one caution is be sure she isn't in a group who wants to mess with her psych meds.

Of course it is up to her. I agree about not being in a group that messes with the meds. For me, I have my counselor, Al-anon, and possibly a good friend or two. I also am trying to learn everything I can through a variety of methods. I also am trying to exercise and take up meditation and possibly yoga here soon. And of course, I am here as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good approaches HoneyB.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Honeybadger,

Im a family member and have been using Smart recovery, and the community reinforcement and family training method, also known as craft. I use them because they seem to fit closest to the individual and family counseling Ive been doing through my husbands rehab. I enjoy learning there and feel very positive with results so far.

Smart and craft are both behavioral approaches, and i dont know how bipolar fits in but would suggest you post over at the smart recovery site, on their forum and I think you will find people happy to share their experiences.

If you want a couple resource names,, send me a pm and i will provide it.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Honeybadger,

I got your pm and will reply soon as I can. I thought you might be interested in this free event at smart, but I realize its short notice. Thought Id post it here in case anyone else might want to check it out. It may also be released as a free podcast later. Not sure but Smart has a bunch of those you might want to check out.

SMART Recovery Online Events & Webinars
Old 01-31-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No one or group has any right to mess with anyone's psych meds.

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post

Old 02-03-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do both AVRT and SMART believe that "YOU" have control over your drinking? I'm getting a bit confused now.