Notices

The day I nearly died - 100 % True Story

Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Member

The day I nearly died - 100 % True Story

I am going to be 100% honest about something I feel very sensitive about.

This is a true account of the day I nearly died.

About 2 years ago, I was taking a drug called Tamezapan. It is a Benzodiazapan and is used in getting you to sleep, anxiety relief and if you can stay away long enough, a real euphoric high. Strictly controlled in the UK, but available on the internet, like almost anything.

This one afternoon, I was helping a friend with her wedding, in a courier capacity, lifting boxes of plates, table accessories etc. I lifted up a heavy box and felt a very sharp pain in my lower back. My Wife recommended a Tramadol Tablet, which we had both taken before for back ache. I took two.

Then the pain went away, later that evening, I took two Tamezapan and got pissed at the wedding. Really Pissed.

Came home and went to bed. I woke up at around 3am in pain.

The combination of Tramadol, Tamezapan and lots of Alcohol was killing me. I lay on the bathroom carpet, not knowing to be sick or not. The I went limp.

I remember just laying there staring motionless at the threads of the carpet. I couldn't move a muscle. Not even my eyes.

I don't know how long I was there, but it seemed like forever. I couldn't speak, move, twitch a finger, nothing.

I saw my Wife come in and call 999 for an ambulance.

The Paramedic tried to give me the kiss of life and I heard him say, no response. They had a heart monitor on me and its showed a weak pulse. They defibrillated me, but I never felt the electric shock. I could see my Wife crying and they took me to Hospital.

Understand, that I was completely aware. I could not move and felt no pain. There was no tunnel of light or a feeling of bliss. I was aware and unable to respond.

The Doctor injected Adrenaline into me and my heart stopped. I could see it on the screen, the blip was horizontal like on a film, but this was real.

Like someone turning down the brightness on a TV screen, shapes started to get darker and merge into one another. Blackness, quietness, nothingness.

I was no longer aware of anything. I couldnt feel anything, hear anything or see anything. I only know that I was present, but nothing else was.

Then I saw a red shape like a sunrise breaking over the horizon, just a little a first then I a bright light everywhere. It was Doctor, shining a light in my eye. My heart started to beat and slowly I recovered.

I was in hospital for two weeks and banged up pretty bad. My Wife, thought she was going to lose me and this is the closest to death I ever want to go, until of course I have to go.

What seemed like hours in darkness, was 20 seconds my heart stopped beating. I didn't meet a God, or distant relative, but then again this wasn't the main event, more of a practice run.

On the day I was discharged from hospital, I drank a bottle of wine in secret.

A very big thank you for this website, if I contribute financially or help in anyway I will. You have saved me.

I am now 3 weeks and 2 days sober. Thanks to the people around me and the support on this website.

T H A N K Y O U XXX
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are still here to tell the tale Lancashire. I am finding it helpful to read everyone's stories here so by sharing you are already contributing. And 3 weeks, 2 days sober is great
Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im glad your here Lancashire congrats on your 3 weeks & 2 days

Your doing great
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

So glad you made it through, Lancashire. It's so good to have you with us
Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Wow, that was quite an experience, Lancashire.

Thank you for sharing.
You were lucky, by the sounds of it.

Glad you are still here.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story and for being here.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Yeah pretty luck and damn stupid.
I am so glad to put drinking firmly in the past.

I re-read my posts regularly and they remind how stupid I have been and how far I have come from just a few weeks ago.

Sometimes I wonder how I managed to last this long.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Lancashire. I'm glad that you are here today to tell us about all this. I had one of those experiences as well, long time ago... mine was not drug- or alcohol-related, but a self-destructive exercise anyway.

Congrats on over 3 weeks of sobriety -- keep it up and leave all that stuff for memory
Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

whoa, that's some scary you know what. Glad you are here today Lancanshire!!!
Congrats to you for staying the course!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The classic accidental suicide.....

Pills and booze.

Almost

Lucky your wife was there.

that's pretty good leaving the hospital so badly scared by what booze and pills did that you had to have a drink to get over it.

Your definitely one of us.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here and sober! Did you continue to drink in secret for the next 2 years?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Take it as a sign that you still belong on this Earth! Glad you made it out OK Lancashire!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Gald you arr here Lanacashire because your posts are some of my favorites!

More power to you!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your story is absolutely captivating ! ... my favorite thread starter so far on SR. I must ask, as I am also recently sober, is this your sole motivation to stop ? IE: the brush with death ? or are you looking for sobriety for other reasons as well.

(personally I want to give my liver a rest and see what it's like to live without any alcohol- an experiment of sorts.)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks for sharing.I bet the percentage of us on SR who have been too close to death is way higher than the general population. 3 weeks 5 days sober buddy!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's messed up! Scary when you mix drugs and alcohol together. It reminded me of a time that I had a mini seizure from doing a ton of cocaine. I could not control my body and couldn't stop shaking. It was intense, but no where near where you went. Another reason to stay safe and sober.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you came back to see the ambient light of day as opposed to the other light! Awesome Job staying free!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went truly numb reading your post, Lancashire, although I could feel the tear which ran down my face.

Here's to SR and the beautiful life which lies ahead.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I'm also a member of the near death experience club. I had a night of doing hard drugs I would never go near if not blacked out drunk, including freebasing a pile of coke and snorting heroin and not surprisingly my heart nearly stopped beating and my lips turned blue and my "friends" threw me in the shower. But of course I only vaguely remember the night in question. That did cause me to quit drinking for a month but for some reason it took me another 20 years to quit completely. So considering I am doing well today with a beautiful family I think I have a lot to be grateful for.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job buddy. As an atheist, I think it's in our best interest to make the most of our time here on earth. Glad you are sticking around and doing your best to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing your story! Keep on fighting, we are all here for you and we stick together.