Notices

The day I nearly died - 100 % True Story

Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad you are here Lancashire.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back, lancashire...you too Flutter.
I love it when we 'win' out over this addiction

D
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by pumpkinny View Post
Glad you're here and sober! Did you continue to drink in secret for the next 2 years?
I did. Not every night, but more often than not. I would drink and then lie about it. I would lie to your face about buying it, drinking it. I would go to devious lengths to dispose of the endless bottles and cans that accumulate through drinking almost every day.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by Gearnut View Post
Your story is absolutely captivating ! ... my favorite thread starter so far on SR. I must ask, as I am also recently sober, is this your sole motivation to stop ? IE: the brush with death ? or are you looking for sobriety for other reasons as well.

(personally I want to give my liver a rest and see what it's like to live without any alcohol- an experiment of sorts.)
My motivation to stop was initially not because of any near death experiences. On New Years Eve I drank a large amount of booze and got caught out by my Wife. She was going to start the new year without me (divorce). I promised her I would stop.

I did a day or two, joined the site. It was reading other peoples experiences and reading and sharing that made me realise, I can not only stay sober, but this is a real chance to make a fresh start of my life.

You see in my life everyone else is to blame for my misfortunes. The Postman always seems to bring those "overdue letters", of course if I didn't drink my money away, I would have plenty to pay my bills.

I just began to feel so much more positive about who I was and my place in the world, no more sneaking around downstair drinking my stash, that 2 or 3 days became a week. A week became 3 weeks. The cravings have completely gone.

I have found sharing my experiences with others not only helps them, but scores a deep reminder inside of me, that go back to that life of drinking would be my choice. No addiction, no one else to blame. If I picked up a drink now, it would be all me. Thats just something, I am not prepared to do.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Lancashire!!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
My motivation to stop was initially not because of any near death experiences. On New Years Eve I drank a large amount of booze and got caught out by my Wife. She was going to start the new year without me (divorce). I promised her I would stop.

I did a day or two, joined the site. It was reading other peoples experiences and reading and sharing that made me realise, I can not only stay sober, but this is a real chance to make a fresh start of my life.

You see in my life everyone else is to blame for my misfortunes. The Postman always seems to bring those "overdue letters", of course if I didn't drink my money away, I would have plenty to pay my bills.

I just began to feel so much more positive about who I was and my place in the world, no more sneaking around downstair drinking my stash, that 2 or 3 days became a week. A week became 3 weeks. The cravings have completely gone.

I have found sharing my experiences with others not only helps them, but scores a deep reminder inside of me, that go back to that life of drinking would be my choice. No addiction, no one else to blame. If I picked up a drink now, it would be all me. Thats just something, I am not prepared to do.
This is a fantastic post !!!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

May the light surround you and all of us each and every day. It will come to each in its own unique way. So let us have the angel wings to wrap us up tonight in safety and sobriety.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Scary the risks we take (used to take!) ...that's one hell of an experience. Well done for making a change now tho and over 3 weeks!! Xx
Old 01-23-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know the sensation of slowing losing sight but still being "present." Scary stuff and glad you were able to pull through.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thanks for the history, I resonate with virtually all of it. When you are drinking, all those problems are seldom our fault are they? And when they are its usually down to bad luck. Keep posting and reaching out to others when you can. I feel that every time I read a post or reach out to someone else it puts another brick into the wall of my sobriety.