Notices

Still sober....looking for answers

Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still sober....looking for answers

Sober for a little over a month.

Not smoking in over a week.

No AA -- just SR

Starting to look around at my life, husband, kids, house, job (stay at home Mom) and wondering how I got here. I am blessed with all of these things but I find myself still sad and feeling lonely.

I don't feel fulfillment with my life.

I thought that quitting drinking/smoking would make me feel better. At times it does. The other times I am full of anger, resentment, and sadness.

How do I find fulfillment in my life? How do I learn to enjoy the wonderful things I have in my life?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to give yourself a little time Suzie.

None of us ended up where we were in a month - it's going to take a little time for you to take stock, make changes rebuild your life and be fulfilled again

I thought not drinking would make me feel better too and in some ways that was true - in other ways not ...

what sobriety did do was give me a level point, a constancy, from which I could work on the other areas of my life that needed work

D
Old 01-22-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Suzie your looking for fulfilment a lil over a month sober early recovery is a rollercoaster ride it takes time & work to start getting fulfilment

for instance i went AA i went Group therapy i went to a local alcohol addiction team

I completed 2 college courses & i done 2 diffrent services at AA (Teas & then set up & tidy up) I volenteered at my local hospital

i would advise taking it bit by bit dont get overwhelmed by some of the rollercoaster days of sobriety it will get better i can sincerly promise you that
Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

what sobriety did do was give me a level point, a constancy, from which I could work on the other areas of my life that needed work

D
^^^^^ Such wise words from our Dee.

Hang in, Suzieq; 30 days is fantastic - truly. In the total scheme of sobriety, though, it is still early times.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not drinking was simply the foundation to a better life, it didn't create it over night.

My life before I got Sober consisted of large amounts of time sitting in front of the TV drinking, take away the alcohol and I was simply left with a lot of time on my hands sitting in front of the TV.

Don't beat yourself up too much, a new life can't be created over night, Rome wasn't built in a day, with time we can figure out what we're going to do with all of this free time when we used to drink, what we now want to achieve in life, what we are even interested in, new hobbies, new activities.

But carving out a new Sober life will be worth it!!

Hang in there!!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What Dee and purple said.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is probably a bad time of the year to get sober. I bet springtime is going to be like a new birth for a lot of us new people on SR. Suzie, I hope you are feeling more alive when the sun starts warming us up & we have more daylight.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by headcase1 View Post
This is probably a bad time of the year to get sober. I bet springtime is going to be like a new birth for a lot of us new people on SR. Suzie, I hope you are feeling more alive when the sun starts warming us up & we have more daylight.
All I want to do everyday is to take a walk and clear my head.

It's freezing here, and I can't take my 9 month old son out in the elements.

Waiting very patiently for Spring....
Old 01-22-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Think about what interests you. Volunteering, exercising, reading, etc. If your kids are in school you'll have time to pursue any and all of what you either know or think you may have an interest in. Okay, maybe not all because travel to exotic places may be off the table, but I think you know where I'm coming from. If you're not sure about something, your community's adult school may have some low cost "try outs".
Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
All I want to do everyday is to take a walk and clear my head.

It's freezing here, and I can't take my 9 month old son out in the elements.

Waiting very patiently for Spring....
How about going to a local Mall for a stroll?! Just getting out of the house can change perspective.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Spring is the season of rebirth, and it will be here before you know it Suzie.

Envision the future you want, stay focused and faithful, and you are bound to find it!