Notices

Sleeping issues

Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping issues

Hi everyone

As part of my progress of the last few weeks last night was the first night I never took any sleeping meds ……. I was so scared in the past not to but I have been reducing the dosage to half the amount I was prescribed.

I was so uptight after giving up drinking and the depression and anxiety was so hard to live with but it has got better now after 15weeks but its good days vs. bad days and that is life but I now the bad doesn’t mean I need to drink as I have learned things in life get better sooner if you are sober and work on them rather that shutting feelings out and not dealing with things.

Back to last night I fell asleep and it didn’t take that long and I did sleep all night (6 hrs) but I had the most horrible nightmares and really strange dreams?

My sleeping has always been not great and when I drank it didn’t help as I would be up really early daily I never slept longer over the weekends eyes open and up that was me.

Has anyone experienced the weird dreams after giving up? The only reason I ask is when I did get up this morning I was really anxious and I felt scared it was horrible but I have put a brave face on and got to it.. Any feed back would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. I had very vivid dreams after quitting. Some were nightmares, some were just weird, some were actually fun. This subsided within 2 weeks.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stress wont set me back

I have had a really busy week with work and now it is Friday I can feel the old feeling coming back in my gut that tells me my stress levels are up and I know what that means but I will not give in no way,,

My feelings run away with me and I actually get scared thinking ( it’s the weekend and you will be sober) but this is still a learning curve for me after 15 weeks sober I never realized how sensitive I was or how much feelings that life requires to function on a daily basis its so weird ?

I have had a lot of help on here from a lot of really kind honest people and I thank you all I have found being able to post here and let out my feelings really has made me feel better I have found that if I start to feel bad I just post and explain what I feel at 33 years old I had never really explain how I felt or why I needed to drink as much as I did but its nothing to be ashamed of and I am getting better every day.

The weekends are nothing to fear time not drinking is time well spent life doesn’t need to revolve round drinking so here to week 16

Have a great weekend everyone
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dreams/Nightmares are common in early sobriety

they will fade and soon enough you wont be able to remember them

good luck
Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes the crazy dreams are very common and there are discussions on this here on SR every now and then. Try to search the boards and you will find lots of stuff.

I've had some occasional insomnia and interrupted sleep, as well as wild dreams in my whole life. Never took anything for it except when I was drinking myself into oblivion, and of course it would just make everything worse. I personally like the dreams, even when they are not pleasant, it's a part of my life. But yeah the fragmented sleep and nightmares of early sobriety do go away for most people.

Do you exercise? I find that's the best tranquilizer and sleep aid ever.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh yah, crazy dreams big time....they got better with time. There were times where I would wake up and it would take a few minutes to collect myself back into reality, they felt so vivid. (not in a good way!)

exercise has been a huge help in that. I suffer from bouts of insomnia, this week has been bad...at some point I always crash and burn though.