Notices

Why cant i drink real beer like the na or soda?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why cant i drink real beer like the na or soda?

Seriously I've been wondering this... I was a 6-8 beer a day drinker. Now I'll have 1-2 NA beers or sodas or coffees either drink it's 1-2 a night. I enjoy a certain import NA beer and I've had 2 six packs in the fridge over the course of 2 months yet when I used to treat myself to a "special" micro brew or something I'd finish the whole 6 pack in one sitting.... Alcohol is one tricky b**** lol.... I'm seeing exactly why people relapse and think they can handle it. Anyone ever wonder why we can drink alcohol one way but another beverage another? It seems so wierd to me.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its about how it affects your brain. Its really not hard to understand. Some of us can handle it, and some of us cannot.

I personally would never want to drink one or two beers. Whats the point?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to think I wanted one or two glasses of wine, until I had one or two glasses, then I just wanted more, more MORE!!! Once I realized that I knew I had to quit, I don't like wine, I liked to get drunk. Game over
Old 01-20-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's just strange to me... I enjoy my NA beer I do like the taste but after a couple that's enough I'm not "chasing a buzz" or anything yet it doesn't matter what I'm drinking I'll only have a couple cups or servings....
Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcoholism is progressive Upminer
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I can't even imagine drinking a six pack of Pepsi in an evening let alone in one sitting. Six pack of my fav ale was just a warm up. There's drinking and than there's drinking, I quit the one kind and do less of the other just because
Old 01-20-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Green tea opened the door to something I could sip on all evening, I tried with soda and came up against the same thing, couldn't drink enough to keep my hand busy each evening and that's what I needed, a good substitute.

Green/White teas I now drink by the teapot full!!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking NA beer would lead me back to the rel thing and is rather frowned on here for good reason.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by upminer View Post
Anyone ever wonder why we can drink alcohol one way but another beverage another?
Because I am an alcoholic. I don't drink alcohol. I get drunk. That's all I do once it passes my lips.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sounds to me like you were wasting your money on the "good stuff".

you could have had a six pack of keystone for the same reason you were drinking a six of the craft beer.

same way I wasted money on 18 yr old jameson too many times. it was for special occasions or whenever it was the only thing left - whichever came first. it never survived till any special occasion. eventually I wised up and started getting the cheap stuff.

I used to get a case of dogfish head 60 minute and a case of miller lite. the 60 was for when I wanted to "enjoy" a beer. the ML was for drinking. BUt as soon as I was out of ML, the dogfish went down just as quickly.
I think I had a 150 dollar a week beer habit. then I wised up and started getting meister brau the last few months. easily 4 cases a week of the 'lite' beer. plus the V and W I went through. it was titos or nothing - or whatever else they had... I drank titos like some people drank soda.

then eventually eventually I "wised up" and got rid of it all and never drank again.

I could have paid off my house and got a shore place for how much I spent on that nonsense.

I went to buddies' place to watch football on sunday. I took a ginger ale. It lasted the first half - THE WHOLE FIRST HALF! I didn't drink anything the second half. In my beer days I would have downed a 12er easily watching a couple football games.

crazy I tell ya

NO WONDER i HAD ACID REFLUX ESOPHAGUS TROUBLES
Old 01-20-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

For the same reason I can't eat gummi bears the same way I eat other things.

I can never have just one.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Because I am an alcoholic. I don't drink alcohol. I get drunk. That's all I do once it passes my lips.
This is what I was going to type, but was beaten to the punch I would like to add about the NA beer. I couldn't do it. I never liked the taste of beer, I liked getting drunk. I don't think it would trigger me because there wouldn't be a buzz along with it, but I will never find out.

The only thing I can drink anywhere near as close to like I drank beer is water. Boring I know lol
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to love the taste of beer after a ride or at the end of my working swing only problem was, beer warmed me up for any and every alcohol or drug I could get my hands on until I passed out or ran out.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also enjoy a NA beer or two sometimes. It's never caused a problem. They just don't taste that good and seem very filling, whereas I just loved the taste of a craft beer, and could drink several.

I think a lot of it is the sugar content for me. I guzzle normal beer, wine or sodas especially, which are the quickest of all to go down. Lots of sugar... There's a tendency to lump all alcoholics together in terms of the root cause, symptoms and cure, but that's a mistake.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Drinking NA beer would lead me back to the rel thing and is rather frowned on here for good reason.
or, I would have failed had it not been there early on so people can frown all they want..... It's not just that I'm talking about the distinct difference in the amount of beer I drank vs any other drink
Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to drink tall boys and 40s of malt liquor and ice beers to get drunk. Regular beer was just a daily thing and the NA fills that void. I am repulsed by the memory of those nasty things I used to drink to catch a buzz....
Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
totfit

Same reason someone addicted to Oxy had no issue with a vitamin.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I know what you're saying. I used to sometimes catch myself during a drink binge and think wtf am I actually doing - if an extraterrestrial happened to be observing me at this moment in time they'd think that humans depend on drinking to the extent that we depend on breathing. Madness.

That said, it's the buzz that actual alcohol delivers (or promises to deliver).
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got a buzz / effect and after that, it was all about trying to hold it.

No matter how many drinks I had, I never felt better than the first 2 or 3.

But I kept trying to get that initial 3 drinks feeling back, until I was falling over / asleep drunk.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upminer View Post
Anyone ever wonder why we can drink alcohol one way but another beverage another? It seems so wierd to me.
Why? For the same reason I avoid kicking hornets nests... bad things inevitably follow.