Notices

How do you feel after a month or two?

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you feel after a month or two?

Do you feel like yourself again? Do you look and feel better? Does the AV keep knocking on your door? I can't imagine going a month without booze but I bet it feels incredible. I felt like a million dollars after a week without it. I wonder what it must feel like to be pain free..mentally and physically
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started feeling much better at 3 months sober. Not surprisingly, that was when I started practicing gratitude every day.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyday is a plus. By 90 the fog starts lifting. You can breathe again! Life is such a present. Don't live in your past.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a few months too. The cravings stopped before that but I had a lot of guilt and shame to work through so it was tough. I'm glad you're feeling better already.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish i was feeling better. I binged so hard last night. I am a wreck today. So much anxiety and fear of dying. I can't shake it off. I am staying on SR all day today
Old 01-12-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am at 65 days, and have good days and not-so-good days.
Yesterday was wonderful, tons of energy and felt great....
Today have the Monday blues, and not so much energy.
Almost feel like I am coming down with something.......

A few weeks ago felt a little off, again almost like I was coming down with something, and AV kicked in big time....I recall a strong inner feeling of "Hey you don't feel good anyway, might as well have a drink - that will make you feel much better!"

This time, poor defeated AV didn't even bother .....

So things progress......
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I live with my bestfriend and he drinks 2-3 beer when we hang out while I pound back double shots at a time (Stupid I know) I would never ask him to quit drinking because hes responsible at it. But I am very afraid of how to keep the AV in check when I can literally smell a bottle of beer in the room when he's drinking one. Baahh
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After a month or two? yep. Feel and look much better.

"I binged so hard last night. I am a wreck today. So much anxiety and fear of dying. I can't shake it off" — what did you expect to feel like today?

making a new life is challenging, but how is how you felt today going for you? For me I got tired of it. There was only one way to stop feeling that way and that was to stop doing it to myself. I can't say it's been easy, but it has been worth it after even 2 weeks. At a couple of months I really started feeling like I did before I ever started drinking heavy. In a couple of more months it will be even better.

You can feel better, I promise. But it takes some work. Remember today my friend, when you want to drink again because it is a choice you make. Feel like garbage, or learn a new way. There are a lot of options to help you. Coming here is step one, please use this resource to continue down the path of feeling not just better, but GOOD
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im sorry you drank again. Its important you write down some reminders for when you are craving. There is nothing in that bottle for you.

What kind of support system do you have ?
Old 01-12-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

After a month or 2 i couldnt believe i had got sober i kept thinking somones going to wake me up in a minute but the truth is altho i was still raw i had something in me knowing & wanting to stay sober

it wasnt a case of could i it was more im definatly staying sober i love it im not throwing this away this is my 2nd chance at life

it was tough at times but i was working on myself constantly (i still am)

i always say sobriety is an upgrade of self you find out who you really are

so yes at 2 months there was clouds with silver linings
Old 01-12-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you're struggling, Scared. I would feel very challenged at the beginning if I had to hang out with someone who drank--or even someone who didn't, but with whom I drank. I know that you don't want to tell your friend what to do, and of course you can't, but if your friend is a good pal, then they should be willing to support you in your sobriety, right? And if they won't, you can always change your pattern and not hang out with your friend when they're drinking. Changing my patterns and avoiding triggers has been crucial in these early months while the sober muscles are building.

In terms of how I feel, I do feel great about 4+ months in. I sleep better, my anxiety has plummeted, I feel productive and joyful. I also feel a lot of negative stuff too, but I think my attitude about that is starting to change. That is, negative events and feelings won't disappear when I quit drinking: they'll still be there,and gone will be my coping mechanism, alcohol. So, I have to learn new ways of coping. Sometimes it is just muttering H.A.L.T to myself. Sometimes it is having a hard conversation with someone or saying no to someone who wants me to say yes. Sometimes, it means going to bed early and just throwing the covers over my head, knowing that tomorrow will be a new day and undoubtedly better.

Do hang in there, Scared. Sobriety is an amazing blessing. It is a leap of faith, a leap that can enable you to fly.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel very good now that I am almost at 5 weeks. My mood is better and sleep is better. My biggest complaint about how I look are the circles under my eyes and I feel those are getting better.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt so much better after a couple of months. The lethargy and foggy-brain stuck around for a few months longer but eventually began to lift at about six months.

When we drink and are constantly in hangover mode, we forget just how good we can feel. I was still improving physically at a year. I still feel as though I am improving mentally and emotionally a few years later.

Sobriety gets better and better.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am approaching 2 months right now in 8 days.

My eyes are brighter and I have noticed I have lots of "baby hairs" that are about 2 inches (hair is coming in thicker now). I feel I look different, although no one has noticed that I look any different since getting sober. While I sometimes have undereye circles when I first get up, they go away quickly and do not stay around all day.

I still feel tired on occasion, but the tiredness isn't as bad as the first month. I did have some significant cravings the first several days in the 40's, which surprised me, but got through them. I thought the first 13 days were the hardest, but like newpage mentioned, there are good days and bad days. I am very vigilant on bad days and have plans in place in case I am tempted to slip.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I felt so much better after a couple of months. The lethargy and foggy-brain stuck around for a few months longer but eventually began to lift at about six months.

When we drink and are constantly in hangover mode, we forget just how good we can feel. I was still improving physically at a year. I still feel as though I am improving mentally and emotionally a few years later.

Sobriety gets better and better.
I've been reading these replies and find them fascinating. I'm an evening beer drinker, have been for over 30 years. Virtually every night between 3 and 7 light beers. On occasion I will quit. Quit once for 5 weeks. Lost a bunch of beer-belly weight, but I never felt any different. Then again I never felt "bad" so to speak. Keeping in mind, I started this at around age 26 and am 58, I really wonder what to expect should I quit for 2 or 3 months? My basic reason to want to quit is for my health. It can't be good for the liver to drink everyday, even if it's only 6 beers, and my blood pressure drops to normal levels as soon as I quit for even a couple days. So here I am.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm at 65 days and notice a lot of changes for the better. I'm starting to rediscover my natural interests and hobbies and feel pleasure in getting reacquainted with them. A really big change is how much less anxiety I experience; I had no idea how much alcohol was affecting me. Overall I have a growing sense of well being.

It's not all smooth sailing. Cravings are rare, but they do happen. I am better equipped to handle them so that they feel more annoying and frustrating than dangerous, but sometimes in the moment it feels unfair that I can't indulge. I still don't sleep well and also am gaining weight from replacing alcohol with sugar.

I hope you are feeling better today. Recovering from a binge is no fun. I hope this is your last one. :-)
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am right at 2 months..Physically , my strentgth is coming back , vertigo is gone , ability to focus and communicate are back...The big thing for me now is fatgue and the occasional craving...The fatigue is pretty much the same regardless of how much sleep I get...I spend all day long feeling like I just woke up , or wanna go to bed.. lol , somewhere in the middle ..
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Same here no fearnobeer, and then I feel wide awake at night! Working on sleep hygiene so getting to bed and getting up early...I was a nightowl drinker
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gearnut View Post
I've been reading these replies and find them fascinating. I'm an evening beer drinker, have been for over 30 years. Virtually every night between 3 and 7 light beers. On occasion I will quit. Quit once for 5 weeks. Lost a bunch of beer-belly weight, but I never felt any different. Then again I never felt "bad" so to speak. Keeping in mind, I started this at around age 26 and am 58, I really wonder what to expect should I quit for 2 or 3 months? My basic reason to want to quit is for my health. It can't be good for the liver to drink everyday, even if it's only 6 beers, and my blood pressure drops to normal levels as soon as I quit for even a couple days. So here I am.
I also quit for my health gearnut since I knew I could look forward to all sorts of things such as pancreatitis. You can do this!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post

In terms of how I feel, I do feel great about 4+ months in.
Whoops, that should have been 3+ months, not 4. But bring on the fourth; it is around the corner!!