Finally packed up & donated all of the paraphernalia

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally packed up & donated all of the paraphernalia

I don't know why it has taken me THIS long to realize that I no longer need an entire cabinet dedicated to bar glasses & assorted alcohol accessories & that I could use that space much more effectively. I opened that cabinet door one day recently & it was like an anvil dropping on my head....

So I boxed up the jagerbomb cups & the beer cozies, wrapped the wine, martini & margarita glasses, stacked the dozens of shot glasses into little stacks, threw in the liquor bottle pourers, corkscrews, cocktail shakers, coasters, novelty items & drinking games. I only kept what I'll actually use.

I called a friend that works with a lot of 20-somethings & they were as thrilled to split the stash as they were shocked by the volume of alcohol related crap we had collected over the last 20 years. (Our parties used to be pretty large, with multiple bands & all their hangers-on.) I ended up with TONS of cabinet room I had been wasting... this infection had actually spread over 2 cabinets.

It was freeing to get rid of the junk & all the negative energy that went along with it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay you!!! And truly, how many glasses does a person need? (Says the woman who still finds mason jars completely acceptable on the dinner table...)

I hope you're replacing it with something you LOVE!
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go girl! Good for you!
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done you. Bet it felt absolutely great.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When I quit drinking I got rid of almost all my glassware. Last year when I was on my uneffing binge, I got rid of the rest.

My last SO(B) was a professional winemaker and I had a TON of glasses, corkscrews, etc. I never liked wine all that much, so all that stuff had NOTHING but bad memories for me.

Good riddance!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I never liked wine all that much, so all that stuff had NOTHING but bad memories for me.
Exactly! Jagerbomb cups?!? Seriously? Am I a 22-yr old college student?

I never liked the stuff, never drank it, hated what it did to those that DID drink it around me..... WTH possessed me to hold onto this crap for so long? Jeez!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's amazing how we can wake up one morning, look at something that has been sitting in the corner for years, and finally decide that "you know what....that can just go!"

Happy organizing!!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
It's amazing how we can wake up one morning, look at something that has been sitting in the corner for years, and finally decide that "you know what....that can just go!"

Yeah, like a husband! All jokes aside, if something or someone no longer contributes to the sane, healthy, and productive life I want to have, then I really have to decide if I want to keep cleaning around it/up after him.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Andrea!!!

Last year when I was on my uneffing binge
OMG, I had forgotten your uneffing binge, Lexie!!! That was AWESOME!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job! I cleaned out all alcohol related glassware this summer.

I have only recently realized I can keep mouthwash in the house without it mysteriously disappearing. And we've been separated for about 1 1/2 years.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hmmm…I think I tossed the craft beer glasses (maybe) but I definitely have a bunch of other glasses in the house that I don't need. This is inspiring another Goodwill run in my near future.

I'm in the middle of reading Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It's about purging the belongings in your home that don't bring you joy and it's shocking how much I can relate in a recovery way to the idea of purging things that don't bring you joy. I have a lot of "baggage" on my desk, in my closet and in my bathroom. Apparently in my kitchen too!

From her book:

Am I having trouble getting rid of this because of an attachment to the past or because of a fear for the future?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My husband and I have been house hunting and almost every home that we have looked at have bars, wine refrigerators and/or wine cellars. They are pointed out as luxuries, but to me they are just wasted space!