Notices

This is making me want to cry

Old 12-29-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is making me want to cry

.... I'm having a craving right now..for the last 25 mins.... It began at 5pm......I'm just sitting at my desk...gritting my teeth and clenching the arms of the desk chair.....just trying not to move.... Nothing is stopping me from just hopping down to the corner store to pick up a six pack.....except myself...and It's painfully difficult.....********* GO AWAY CRAVING
Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hang in there!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some helpful things that people have told me to do:

Play the tape forward. Like really write it out. Including the next day, how you will feel, what might happen after you pick up, etc. etc. and be honest with yourself.

Not sure what your beliefs are - doesn't matter - some prayer - "Please - whatever is out there - help - relieve the obsession to drink and directly my attention to where you would have it be" - is one i use sometimes.

Eat something sweet - THIS ACTUALLY HELPS. Something awesome. Like a DQ blizzard or cheesecake. Spoil yourself for not giving into that craving. Maybe a nice bubble bath tonight with a book in hand? Something delicious? A movie and popcorn?
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
.... I'm having a craving right now..for the last 25 mins.... It began at 5pm......I'm just sitting at my desk...gritting my teeth and clenching the arms of the desk chair.....just trying not to move.... Nothing is stopping me from just hopping down to the corner store to pick up a six pack.....except myself...and It's painfully difficult.....********* GO AWAY CRAVING
Ride this out, Serper. This will pass in time.

Try some deep, cleansing breaths; repeat and repeat.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you deserve to do something great for yourself this evening - because we both know you're not going to give into this craving. Not today

Tell me what you're going to do for yourself!! I can't wait to hear it
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...+tips+cravings
Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Some helpful things that people have told me to do:

Play the tape forward. Like really write it out. Including the next day, how you will feel, what might happen after you pick up, etc. etc. and be honest with yourself.

Not sure what your beliefs are - doesn't matter - some prayer - "Please - whatever is out there - help - relieve the obsession to drink and directly my attention to where you would have it be" - is one i use sometimes.

Eat something sweet - THIS ACTUALLY HELPS. Something awesome. Like a DQ blizzard or cheesecake. Spoil yourself for not giving into that craving. Maybe a nice bubble bath tonight with a book in hand? Something delicious? A movie and popcorn?

I play the tape fwd but my stupid brain says...oh yeah you will be sick....but 2015 is coming so just "one last time"

I'm not religious at all, but this is so physically painful, I'm praying...
Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't give in to it Serper!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong!! You can beat the craving.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you checked out AVRT/rational recovery? They have an awesome online thing to go through while you're at your desk.

Still waiting to hear how you're going to spoil yourself this evening...
Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If this is of any consequence... it's a dual craving... I quit smoking and drinking at the same time....I want both right now....I was fine while I was away on holiday and only had very very weak urges, nothing physically strong....
Old 12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Serper counter the AV with the good sober ppl in your life

try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

I agree with all of the above
Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a "white hot" craving Christmas Eve. I felt possessed. Eat and just wait it out. After an hour it actually dissipates.

I thought of the five-day hangover it would give me (5 days due to kindling crap) and it worked. I could logically say the drinking would NOT be worth it.

Think of how relieved you'll feel in the morning.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok thanks for all the helpful comments.... I just stayed glued to the chair.... it was about 50 mins of craving in waves that were sometimes so intense
I just squeezed the chair and held on for dear life so that I would not get up!

It's over now.... amazing that I got through it. This has been the strongest craving I've ever felt.... I mean I've had urges to drink/smoke, but this was a full blown craving it was so bad it was painful.... and now it's over...I have no desire.... back to cleaning up my room and finishing laundry....what an experience.!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WELL DONE!!

Now you know you are strong
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

If this is of any consequence... it's a dual craving... I quit smoking and drinking at the same time....I want both right now....I was fine while I was away on holiday and only had very very weak urges, nothing physically strong....
Oh snap! It's understandable it is so hard. I would get cravings so bad at first I would rock back and forth in the tub sometimes for an hour or more. Magically the cravings would end just as the liquor store would close.
I would say to myself just tonight. Then I would say pretend like we did that last night like you pestered me to do. Most of the time I would just repeat NONONO.
Hang in there. You are doing this.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow!!!!! You did it!!!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job getting thru Serper! I also quit drinking AND smoking at the same time 22 days ago and the cravings for both have pretty much gone away. I still have "thoughts" though. That's were AA, my sponsor, SR and other tools help. You can do it!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice one serper!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done!