Notices

muscle and joint pain...WTH!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

muscle and joint pain...WTH!

I'm 40 days clean today, not sure about sober yet. Anyhow I thought I would feel so much better physically than I do. The worst thing is lack of energy and joint/muscle pain. Yes I know I should go to dr, but waiting on health insurance. Guess I wanna know if anyone else had this after the initial detox? I didn't have this pain when I was drinking. I don't want the av telling me"see u don't feel any better, you didn't feel all these aches and pains when you were drinking." Of course the reality was the mental pain and hangover pain was pretty bad, but not this feeling like my musclosketal system is weaking everyday. I have been eating pretty healthy and taking vitamins since december 3 2014 no drinking since nov 17 2014. Thx
Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly had a lot of aches and pains. I think they were always there, just masked by the alcohol.

Things do get better - don't forget we drank for years...it takes a little time to sort ourselves out

D
Old 12-26-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you get some exercise and fresh air?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't listen to AV, they will come up with the most ridiculous excuses to go back to drinking.

Until you can see your Dr, try and rest as much as possible. Stretching exercises helped me a lot with muscle pains. And taking extra Vitamin B also helped with my nervous system (pain receptors). Alcohols depletes your body of vitamin B. Ask your pharmacist for a good Vitamin B complex.

Also stay away from processed, high-sugar foods and artificial sweeteners. I know, it sucks when you crave alcohol, but studies show that sugar increases inflammation.

Hope you feel better and can see your Dr soon!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Don't listen to AV, they will come up with the most ridiculous excuses to go back to drinking.
So true, mine was asking me to cure a cold with vodka just the other day. You know, to kill the germs.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find I'm much more aware of aches & pains w/o the booze. A small price to pay.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What you are feeling is the pain that was there which was previously masked by the numbing effects of the crap you were putting in your body.
What you are feeling is REALITY. I remember the first few weeks of sobriety I actually could smell the flowers, grass, and trees as I spent a lot of time outside. I was feeling what was there which once I could not FEEL. I also, just like you, felt the aches and pains of my aging body. You take the good with the bad. Drinking to numb it all out is not the answer.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Mistory, many congrats on 40 days

I had a lot of aches and pains too, and cramps in my legs for a few days and really tense muscles in my neck.

Some exercise helped mine and some vitamin supplements.

I also had stomach pains and headaches, felt like I was hungover for weeks after I stopped.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx everyone. All your suggestions sound great. I truly believe the aches and pains were probably there all the time, alcohol just covered them up. I will continue on this journey , get to dr when I can and most of all don't pick up a drink over these pains. I drank everyday for a long time. I guess it should take more than 40 days to feel my best. Thx SR
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aches and pains are normal for me. Joint pain was the worst.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tonymblue I noticed you said joint pain "was" the worst. So r u saying its gone? If so did you do anything specifically for it? Thx
Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had aches and pains I was unaware of when I finally got sober. Start out with taking a walk every day. Ease into an exercise routine and start eating right. The body is a marvel. If treated well it rejuvenates itself.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 40 days Mistory
Old 12-27-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thx Lbrain and soberwolf. Soberwolf just noticed you changed your avatar ... no wolf? I loved your wolves, made me look at them as beautiful which I never had b4.