Notices

Introduction and Message of Hope

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction and Message of Hope

Hi, all!

My DOS is 12/10/14. So not too many actual days, but they have been FABULOUS ones!!

I was sober for 25 years until 3 years ago when I thought I try Mike's Hard Lemondade which didnt exist when I was drinking. I was in pain and we know a little booze always helps. Until it doesn't. I thought hey, 25 years, one drink won't make me go back. And it didn't. Until 3 years later when I was drinking every day, taking days off so I could sit and drink all day... you know the routine.

Luckily for me I woke up one day and said, that's it. I got in touch with a friend who is a social worker and he set me up with an outpatient detox. Went there and all thoughts of drinking are now out of my head. I am starting a Hazelden outpatient group on Monday. I have reached out to all my family and friends and they are incredibly supportive.

I have been isolating and feeling sorry for myself for years. I thought no one cared about me. I was completely wrong. People do care. It was me and my booze that couldn't see/feel it!!

I am so grateful for what I found, and am so hopeful that you can find it too. It's there inside you!!Believe me!!

Not sure how to use this yet, so bear with me!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Pat. SR is a great place for support 24/7.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Pat, it's reading things like that which help me squash any whispers in my ear that I may be able to drink...a little.

Hope to see you around more. Happy 2015 to you!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us
Old 12-27-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR PatNYC
Old 12-27-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Pat,I listen attentively to people who have picked up a drink after long term sobriety.

i wish you well.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I find reminders like these extremely helpful too. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, you really hit on some topics close to home for me. It also gives me hope that I can make it to a long time of sobriety as well!

Thank you!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey PatNYC- Welcome!

Sorry about the slip a few years ago, however you're doing something about it, which is great. You did a hell of a stint before, so you already know that it's very doable.

I had mentioned a while back about one of the things that I've taken away from this forum. From the 2+ months that I've been here, I am (now) fully aware that I will never be able to go out and have just a couple of drinks. And if I did, I know it would be short lived. So thank-you for sharing what happened to you. It seems when we're wired for booze, no time will change that. I think your story is a great example of that, and another reminder to myself.

I wish you well with your goals, and I look forward to seeing you around here.

Lusher
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR! Hope you like it here.

I was sober for 16 years before relapsing a few years ago. Glad you're sober again.