Notices

Don't Wait To Stop

Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Wait To Stop

One year ago I was sent home from my job because of a random alcohol screening. I haven't worked since.

Imagine telling your spouse you lost your job. Imagine what must be going though their heads. Imagine all of the things you had planned for the upcoming year (and beyond) suddenly pulled out from under you. Imagine all the promises you made suddenly seeming to be empty dreams. And also imagine Christmas is one week away.

Then imagine saying to yourself, "I will never again let alcohol affect my life."

Too bad it took something like that for me to finally say it.

Don't wait for something 'bad' to happen to you. If you are concerned about your drinking or if you feel - or someone else in your life feels it - you are heading in the wrong direction, do something about it before it's too late to prevent that life changing event.

You don't have to "hit bottom" to turn your life around. Do it now. Do it for yourself. Living is so much better without it. It really is. You may not realize it at first, but give it time and you'll one day exclaim, "Why did I wait so long!" I have an entirely different perspective on life now. A much better outlook. And a keener sense of self.

It's never too late to get sober, if you are still alive. More importantly, IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY TO GET SOBER.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I posted this yesterday in the alcoholism forum, meant to post it here so more newcomers would read it. In ten days I will have a year of sobriety, but it was a year yesterday I lost my job.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since I posted it I had a conversation with my wife about paypal. She said her paypal account is connected to xyz bank account. I said why did you do that? I'm not comfortable with paypal being connected to this account. She said, "You did it!". When? "About 4 years ago." Oh, I must have been drunk or something. Well she raised her voice and yelled, "YOU WERE DRUNK EVERY DAY!" ooops. sorry about that. I did a lot of things I don't even remember doing.

DON'T WAIT TO STOP DRINKING. If I did it, so can you.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lbrain, great post. simply a great message. sobering. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great work LB. It is possible for all of us. You are a great example of living sober.

Congrats on a year my friend!

Ken (the real CB) lol
Old 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY TO GET SOBER.
BOOM!

Nice post. Exemplary recovery.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You LB !!! Great post. And congrats on your nearing one year. Hope this Christmas will be a little Merrier this time for you and your family :-)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post! im constantly worrying about losing my job for the same reason. Day 1 again for me and praying I make it this time. I won't miss living in constant fear of what may happen if I don't stop. Thanks le brain
Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Brilliant post, LB!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LBrain, congratulations on your year of recovery.

I'm sorry about the job situation, and I really hope that 2015 will be the year that you find the job you're looking for.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rock on man! I remember last year... You came a long way and it shows in your posts.

You have gently slapped me back to my senses a few times, and I thank you for it. Don't ever change.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LB, thank you so much for this post and for its honesty. Such a reminder to those of us new to this that sobriety is something to embrace and to embrace wholeheartedly: it isn't a punishment.

I have gained so much from your posts and your wisdom. Thank you. I wish you and yours a fantastic new year.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Brain and congrats on your upcoming year of sobriety

You Sir are awesome
Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brain, thanks for getting sober 6 months before I. Your being here has made it easier for me to stay here.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post. I struggled with quitting before I hit the bottom - before I was arrested for DUI, or lost a job, or hurt somebody somehow, none of which happened - and I am still struggling. The lizard brain always keeps coming back and saying "it's manageable, I'm not in trouble, the quit was premature, have a drink, you're not like the others who really did need to quit". I guess it's all about realizing what the "bottom" really was, and certainly a "high bottom" is better than a "low bottom" if you can catch it then...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ditto! I also had to loose a second job and a second dui b4 I really tried to stop drinking. Many days now I wished I had of took head and take my alcoholism as very serious although I was warned over and over by friends family and professionals that I was headed for big trouble. So if your new and haven't hit any these lows, please believe if the drinking continues its a loss loss situation. Thx LBrain for sharing your thoughts.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome post!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for that reminder. Congrats on your year of sobriety!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nailed it Brian!!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Such a reminder to those of us new to this that sobriety is something to embrace and to embrace wholeheartedly: it isn't a punishment.
This is absolutely true. Continuing to drink is punishment.
Why did we punish ourselves for so long? I've heard that before, and now I understand what it meant.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you. I REALLY needed to hear this.