Notices

Is this normal?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

I've been to my doctor twice in this past year to obtain medication to help me through alcohol withdrawals. Each time it worked but I fell off the wagon. I've been too embarrassed to call again but finally did and left a message. Received a call back today from the Dr's office saying I should try therapy instead.

Is this normal? I guess I'll start looking into a plan on weaning myself off alcohol instead of just quitting cold turkey.

Any info on quitting drinking naturally a safely would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JTtexas; 12-11-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 12-11-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, any advice on quitting naturally and safely would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit after weaning - and no medical help.

Maybe your doctor has a personal policy about multiple attempts to quit alcohol - or maybe there is a law of some sort?

If you start to feel really sick, you can always go to Urgent Care or the ER.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quite like your Docs suggestion about therapy, drugs and alcohol counselors.
They could also help you with your needs for a safe detox as well some useful support and info on staying straight.
A bigger plan...What do you think?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I quit after weaning - and no medical help.
About how long did it take you?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. It all depends on the amount of alcohol being consumed and the individual. The general rule is that alcohol is out of your body in about 72 hours. I'm not saying what I did was a smart thing. I didn't even know I could have had a stroke or died. I just got lucky in my homemade attempt. No one here can give you a schedule or a "how to." The smart thing is to get medical intervention. Can you go to Urgent Care?

We can't give medical advice on this site, it isn't allowed.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's my quick and dirty plan so far. I currently drink about 67 oz a day. I'm going to decrease this by 2 standard drinks per day.
By day four I figure that will mean just a little over a bottle of wine. By day 6 it'll just be 6.74 ounces. I wonder if I should decrease daily or every other day.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jt i would listen to medical advice
Old 12-11-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JTtexas View Post
Here's my quick and dirty plan so far. I currently drink about 67 oz a day. I'm going to decrease this by 2 standard drinks per day.
By day four I figure that will mean just a little over a bottle of wine. By day 6 it'll just be 6.74 ounces. I wonder if I should decrease daily or every other day.
Tapering/weaning/cutting back is a very difficult thing to do, and it has a pretty low success rate...especially for an alcoholic. In a sense you are attempting to moderate. I'd recommend taking your doc's advice and seeing a drug/alchol counselor.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JT

those meds are only good so long as you take them - given the circumstances, I can see your Drs point that maybe therapy or a recovery group may be better for you?

Having said that - tapering is like torture man - you're way better off seeing your Dr (or a new one if you prefer) and telling him/her you want to detox safely.

after that, as far as recovery groups go...

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

D
Old 12-11-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your doctor may have a policy about not giving meds too often. Benzos are usually given and they have a potential for abuse and addiction.

If you are in need of help while detoxing, please go to the ER or urgent care clinic. They may be able to help you detox safely. But look into recovery beyond detox. It's not just stopping, it's staying sober.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank all of you for your insight and words of encouragement. I've been tapering myself off alcohol the last few days and my withdrawals have been very minimum, thank God. I've been taking lots of Super-B Complex vitamins and drinking plenty of Camomile tea. I also bought some ginseng last night so I'm hoping that helps. Ready and excited to defeat this thing!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JTtexas View Post
Thank all of you for your insight and words of encouragement. I've been tapering myself off alcohol the last few days and my withdrawals have been very minimum, thank God. I've been taking lots of Super-B Complex vitamins and drinking plenty of Camomile tea. I also bought some ginseng last night so I'm hoping that helps. Ready and excited to defeat this thing!
I went cold turkey and it was pretty bad the first week...shakes, brain zaps, couldn't sleep worth crap. In retrospect tapering would've been a better idea and it sounds like you are doing things right. Good luck!