Notices

DAY 12 Waking up nervous, shaky & sweaty - PAWS?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DAY 12 Waking up nervous, shaky & sweaty - PAWS?

Hi all,

Well I finally got a little sleep last night. I woke up feeling like I did when I drank - Shaky, nervous, heart racing, etc. Does this sound like it could just be part of PAWS and to expect a reversion back to the old way of feeling? I hope my question makes sense.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank much like you did for a lot longer and also had anxiety, elevated HR and BP, but I am older. I had the menopause whammy.

Your body is adjusting and it can take a couple more weeks or longer to even out. Your doctor is the best to advise you. Ask him/her about taking a good multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium supplement before bed....one of my best sleep remedies is a scoop of vanilla ice cream after a turkey sandwich. Some good exercise earlier in the day will help to naturally fatigue you to sleep better too.

Don't be so quick to think it is ALWAYS alcohol related. It is flu season, sometimes there are bugs going around. Personally, I don't buy into the whole PAWS point of view, I never experienced it myself.
good going so far....it will get better, that i know for sure.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I drank much like you did for a lot longer and also had anxiety, elevated HR and BP, but I am older. I had the menopause whammy.

Your body is adjusting and it can take a couple more weeks or longer to even out. Your doctor is the best to advise you. Ask him/her about taking a good multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium supplement before bed....one of my best sleep remedies is a scoop of vanilla ice cream after a turkey sandwich. Some good exercise earlier in the day will help to naturally fatigue you to sleep better too.

Don't be so quick to think it is ALWAYS alcohol related. It is flu season, sometimes there are bugs going around. Personally, I don't buy into the whole PAWS point of view, I never experienced it myself.
good going so far....it will get better, that i know for sure.
Thanks Fandy. I'm older too (52) and already have been through the change. I don't know. This morning I felt like I drank last night. Like a nervous, racing heart hang over very strange.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it could very well be hormonal changes too. I would suggest a visit to the OB-gyno. I used HRT for about 14 months only and it made a HUGE difference in the ability to sleep.

disruptive sleep is one of the biggest issues along with night sweats, hot flashes. drinking exacerbates all of this, but a lot of it for me was menopausal.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
Hi all,

Well I finally got a little sleep last night. I woke up feeling like I did when I drank - Shaky, nervous, heart racing, etc. Does this sound like it could just be part of PAWS and to expect a reversion back to the old way of feeling? I hope my question makes sense.
It took my body a few weeks to start settling into a "Normal" sleep schedule.

PAWS is "post acute" withdrawal and generally doesn't show up until several months into sobriety. You could still be at the end of the acute ( or initial ) withdrawal itself.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
it could very well be hormonal changes too. I would suggest a visit to the OB-gyno. I used HRT for about 14 months only and it made a HUGE difference in the ability to sleep.

disruptive sleep is one of the biggest issues along with night sweats, hot flashes. drinking exacerbates all of this, but a lot of it for me was menopausal.

Hi Fandy - I've been done for 8 years. I was on HRT 4 years ago for a little while.