Notices

Called in sick - Day 1

Old 12-04-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Called in sick - Day 1

I called in sick to work this morning. I woke up, did my readings, prayed, said affirmations, etc. - all the stuff I think I am supposed to do or that has helped me in the past. Within a half hour, I got into a huge fight with a family member. I was mean, mean, mean (they were too, but I provoke like I'm 11 years old). I was already feeling anxious and shaky, then after fighting became a basket case, left for work but halfway there, I pulled over and called in sick. My work itself gives me great anxiety, I've been recently diagnosed with a learning issue I suspected I had for years and I have problems getting my job done. Anyway. I don't want to drink today, but I'm writing all this because I think I need to stick to these forums and read most of the day. I don't trust myself. I'm scared about my job, staying sober, depression/anxiety. I just feel like I'm at the end of my rope.

Ugh, even reading this back, I feel like I'm the problem. Well, I am the problem, but I feel like I'm the problem in a bad way: lazy, bad person, just using alcohol to justify not going anywhere. And I can't afford to think that way right now, because I'll drink.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterflyCher View Post
I called in sick to work this morning.
I have done this. I called it my mental health day. I needed a day just to rest my body and mind. It can be a very good thing to do as long as you don't get into a pity party.

Make some hot cocoa or tea. Read on here and if you get tired try and take a quick nap.

Everything is going to be okay.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once you well and truly are done drinking for even a short time I am sure the other problems will get a lot more manageable. Not drinking is the key.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 1 butterfly Cher
Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto what steffie said. Don't beat yourself up but make your time off count. Hang in there. You aren't a bad person.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

We are not bad people, we just let a really bad habit entreat us to doing bad things!!
Breathe.......Look in the mirror and tell yourself I Love You!!

Awhile back another member posted this. I printed it out and keep it in my Big Book. Don't recall who posted, but kudos to them......I found it poignant.

I have read so many posts on here where people are putting themselves down. This breaks my heart. ........I am asking those that read this to be kind to yourself today. Treat yourself with love and respect. Talk to yourself with love an respect, as you would someone you loved, like a child. ......We can become better people. But not by being cruel to ourselves. We are on this journey together, all helping each other along the way. Please be kind you yourself and others. I think it is a key to success.
End

ps - did a keyword search - posted by huntingtontx

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 12-04-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talking

calling in sick because you are suffering with a bout of intense anxiety is not wrong, or bad. take care of yourself today, allow yourself all day to rest and read here and stay sober, if you do not drink then it will all be worth it and you can go to work tomorrow feeling much better and put in a good days' work

glad you are here, stay close

I have called in sick many a time because I was hungover-no more! but I would still call in sick if I felt the need for a mental health day

Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Nothing wrong with taking a mental health day. Hang in there and don't be afraid to come back here and post away for any reason. Thank you for your honesty!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you have been taking care of yourself today. A little extra sleep, some healthy food, a bubble bath, reading things good for the soul and staying sober today will make tomorrow a better day.

Hang in there!!!