Notices

newbie, need some support

Old 08-01-2004, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jcm
Paused

Unhappy newbie, need some support

Hi this is my first time here. I just need some advice and support. We just found out my (adult) brother has been using heroin for the past 4 yrs. It was an absolute shock to my entire family and friends. And the way we found out was even more shocking because he was arrested for stealing money from where he works. I know the drugs can change your personality but it is so hard to believe this has happened. Anyways, he willingly went to a detox facility and called us every day crying and so remorseful for what he had done. After detox he spent one night with my parents before we drove him out of state to a 12 step recovery center to stay for a couple weeks to complete recovery. He actually received a scholorship for 1 week because they believed he would be such a high success rate. Very motivated and not the typical user. Anyways, he entered this 12 step on a Tues (After a 5 day detox). On Fri they thought his behavoir was suspicious and drug tested him., He was positive !!! He sweared he didn't use anything and believes it's still just in his system from detox. My big question is : Does anyone know how long you can test positive for opiates after using??? I just don't think it's possible for him to still test positive a week out. Also the counselor at the facility told my dad that my brother had told another patient that he had stuff with him and offered him some. My brother of course denied it and has no idea why someone would set him up. I am just horrified at what these drugs can do. I'm embarrassed to say I lived a very sheltered life until now! I think he's still using and lying to my parents and hurts me so bad to watch it go on. He was immediately sent home from the recovery center and my parents reluctantly took him in, too afraid of what would happen to him if they let him go. I just don't know where to go from here. I am so hurt and angry at the lies. My parents just want to fix this so bad and I know they can't. Has anyone been through a similar situation and not knowing what to believe?? Was it possible for a trace of the drug to still test a week later?? I'm a nurse and all my books say no. It usually only can only tell about 48 hrs back. He also bought one of those home drug tests and gave it to my parents and told them to test him whenever. Of course my parents haven't yet, I think they're afraid it will be positive. I don't know... this is killing me and parents.....
Old 08-01-2004, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey jcm,
I don't know the answer to your question about drug testing. But I wanted to welcome you to Sober Recovery. Please join us on the Alanon and Naranon boards. There are a lot of people there who understand what you and your family are going through. I'm glad you found us.
Gabe
Old 08-01-2004, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

All I can do is welcome you, jcm. I don't have an answer to your question about how long opiates stay in the blood.

I'm going to second Gabe in saying you should go down to the Friends and Family of Alcoholics (where you can talk about Alanon) and to the Naranon boards.

I'd also suggest you and your parents check out a Naranon meeting in your area.

And.....keep posting!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi JCM, glad you found SoberRecovery.
Take Moots advice and get you and your parents to an Al-anon meeting.
There is also a lot of support and information in these forums.
My heart goes out to you and your family and for the pain you are feeling.