Another DUI, this is #4, I knew it would be long

Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another DUI, this is #4, I knew it would be long

I knew he was on a downward spiral and it wouldn't be long before he did some thing stupid !!! Why? Why do these men do this? Had a great paying job, nice duplex, a great girl friend who love him. Me.

He went on a bender early October. He choose bottle over me, wanted to drink. So he did. Now exactly 30 days after breakup he crashed his car, and has a criminal defense attorney. His preliminary hearing is in 30 days. My guess is he is in jail.

Why???? Why do men f*** up like this. I am so angry. He could get 10 years for this. WTF Jay !

Will some one explain this to me?

Last edited by FeliciaM; 11-16-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spell
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh, it isn't just men. Alcohol is no respecter of persons. Male and female have fallen into the same trap.

It is good that you are no longer in a relationship with him. This will bring nothing but misery for you. Leave him to deal with his issues and you take care of you. This is not your battle to fight. It is his.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Felicia - this really has nothing to do with you. He is an addict, and it makes no sense to the rest of us. However, I'm an RA, and I get it.

I'm also a recovering codependent, and I get where you are coming from

Despite what you feel, this is not personal. I know, it does feel that way. He is battling with his own demons. This has nothing to do with you.

It's incredibly hard to understand, I forgot you are not an addict. My suggestion is how let close to those who are interested not the same situation. We A's don't make sense to those who are not A's

Keep reading and posting, we are here for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-16-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Amy's right. The alcohol is more powerful than anything good in an alcoholic's life. Many die of this disease. It isn't logical, and if you try to make sense of it you will make yourself crazy.

And suki's right, too. This is his problem, not yours. You broke up, remember?

Put that energy you are expending being outraged into your own recovery.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Felicia, I can relate to your boyfriend because it happened to me too. Lost a great job, DUI, evicted from condo, and lost my girlfriend.

Alcoholism is the answer. It is a disease of the mind in certain ways. The alcoholic's brain is wired differently When alcohol is consumed it effects us differently. We can't turn off our desire to drink once we start. It's madness and there is no reason or logic.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope no one was hurt when he wrecked his car. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s possible to provide a rational explanation for the behavior of an addict; it’s really its own brand of “crazy”. Just try to relax and not get caught up in his drama; it won’t help him and it’s really, really hard on you.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He is my XAB so this is not my business. As far as I know no one else was injured. I don't have any details. This happened last week I found out this morning.

At least he's not drinking tonight.

It has to be a miserable life.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hopefully jail time will finally make him seek help. I don't know the legal system but is there a possibility of court-ordered treatment?

Honestly, if he continues to drink and drive, he's better off the streets before he kills someone. They're always very remorseful after the fact.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alaska - I have no intention to do anything regarding him.

He feared the holidays. In jail he'll have lots of company on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years. He'll celebrate with the other criminals. He is where he belongs.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even though you’re no longer together it doesn’t mean that you don’t still care about him. I meant for you to not get “emotionally” caught up in his drama. This does sound like another poor choice in a long string of poor choices that he’s made. Like I said addiction is its own special brand of “crazy” and it defies rational explanation. I’m just sincerely thankful you are no longer a part of his craziness and I’m sorry if I didn’t make this clear in my prior post. I meant no disrespect.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeliciaM View Post
Will some one explain this to me?
He is an alcoholic, simple as that.

You are looking at it from the perspective of someone who sees a good job, a good relationship, a good life as more important than any temporary high. At some point in the alcoholic spiral, suicide and quitting drinking may be perceived as pretty equal alternatives - this is how powerful addiction is. That is not drama, it is my experience. So long as he is drinking, don't bother with logic because it will not apply.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thx Alaska and Eddie.

He is suffering , I know that much. I love him and am grateful he is alive.

He has to fix himself, he'll now have plenty of time for self reflection and court ordered treatment. I will continue to Al anon and stay here reading and posting. So much wisdom here.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Felicia,

I am married to a functional alcoholic. I do all the the driving if he is ever drinking because I would be heartbroken if he lost his job or his nice life because of a DUI or vehicular manslaughter. I choose to do this and have not hit my bottom with him, which I why I still do it. Maybe because I am a RA myself I understand the disease and how hard it is to recover, which is why I am still with him. But if I ever get tired of the relationship, I most likely will leave. At the time, I am not. He can be very angry, but he also has a lot of nice qualities as well. Everyone is different and makes different choices.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Felicia,

I am married to a functional alcoholic. I do all the the driving if he is ever drinking because I would be heartbroken if he lost his job or his nice life because of a DUI or vehicular manslaughter. I choose to do this and have not hit my bottom with him, which I why I still do it. Maybe because I am a RA myself I understand the disease and how hard it is to recover, which is why I am still with him. But if I ever get tired of the relationship, I most likely will leave. At the time, I am not. He can be very angry, but he also has a lot of nice qualities as well. Everyone is different and makes different choices.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Women get DUIs too
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tissue paper thin emotional skin. That's what drives alcoholism.

They Can't stand a snide comment or even a little sideways glance.... It all gets taken deeply personally.

And I know you can't comprehend that, but believe me, it's how we get.

The result is a drink.... Which thickens the emotional skin right back to full strength and beyond.

Everything frightens him, sober, nothing frightens him, drunk.

Sorry you are having to watch and live through the alcoholic storm.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do all the the driving if he is ever drinking because I would be heartbroken if he lost his job or his nice life because of a DUI or vehicular manslaughter.

I am pointing out this quote because it just goes to show how the codie mind becomes completely warped. You would be heartbroken if he lost "the good life" due to vehicular manslaughter?? I would imagine the victims family would feel really bad for him too. (sarcasm intended)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
When alcohol is consumed it effects us differently. We can't turn off our desire to drink once we start. It's madness and there is no reason or logic.
Wasted he told me this. The weekend of our breakup he was stoned. I didn't know at the time, NOT to dump the vodka he was drinking. He jumped in his car and drove to buy another. He drank before he got back to his house. It was horrible. I then babysat him. He said once he starts he can't stop.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hawks

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Tissue paper thin emotional skin. That's what drives alcoholism.

They Can't stand a snide comment or even a little sideways glance.... It all gets taken deeply personally.

And I know you can't comprehend that, but believe me, it's how we get.

The result is a drink.... Which thickens the emotional skin right back to full strength and beyond.

Everything frightens him, sober, nothing frightens him, drunk.

I did see this in him and was sensitive choosing my words carefully. He was exhausting me. No relationship will ever be possible with him. I do still love him.

It's starting to sink in today.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

SAD BUT, OFTEN IT TAKES PRISON TO GET SOMEONE TO THE BREAKING POINT.