I'm back but you knew I would be!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back but you knew I would be!

Well, I went back to him 8 weeks ago. He had been sober for 4 weeks and vowed not to drink more than one glass of wine a night. Still, he refused to work on the problems in our marriage. Long story short - he picked a fight and used that as an excuse to get drunk. He actually spit in my face! I've never had anyone do that to me before! I left and I'm not going back. He frightened our daughter again. He lunged toward her after she called him an SOB. Claimed that she was calling his mother a B.... - well his mother was there and got between them. He was so drunk that he would have fallen on his face before he got to her anyway but she's traumatized again. I took my wedding ring off tonight and I'm ok with that. When I get depressed I picture his face when he spit on me and I get over it real quick. Just thought I'd give you the chance to say "Told you so".
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are going through this and I don't think anyone is going to give you a "told you so". I guess you gave this one last shot and realized now that it is not going to work for you to stay. All you can do is hold your head high and move on from here. You are strong and you will thrive.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No I told you so here, Cherra. We move at our own pace and in our own time. No one can make you ready to do what needs to be done. I'm glad you have moved on and I wish only the best for you and your daughter.

No one deserves to be treated with such disrespect.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh no hon, no told you so's just so sorry it came to that. it could have gone a lot of different ways....he could have acted like a decent human.....a husband or a father......he did what untreated alcoholism CAN do.

just stay safe. be done. hug your daughter. get some counseling, including DV. you've been thru a lot. NOW is the time to heal....YOU.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're not ready until we're ready. I'm glad that you are facing the reality of the situation head on and making choices for you and your daughter that are healthy. One glass a night isn't working a program. Abstinence, step work, and living amends is. Don't settle for less.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hey Cherra, you might have regretted not giving him a chance, and you regret going back, but at least you KNOW.
Have you planned for when he's sobered up again, is sorry for his actions and wanting you back? These things tend to go in cycles, and when you're in the cycle it can be hard to see it. Make plans and move on, concentrating on yourself and your daughter.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cherra View Post
Well, I went back to him 8 weeks ago. He had been sober for 4 weeks and vowed not to drink more than one glass of wine a night. Still, he refused to work on the problems in our marriage. Long story short - he picked a fight and used that as an excuse to get drunk. He actually spit in my face! I've never had anyone do that to me before! I left and I'm not going back. He frightened our daughter again. He lunged toward her after she called him an SOB. Claimed that she was calling his mother a B.... - well his mother was there and got between them. He was so drunk that he would have fallen on his face before he got to her anyway but she's traumatized again. I took my wedding ring off tonight and I'm ok with that. When I get depressed I picture his face when he spit on me and I get over it real quick. Just thought I'd give you the chance to say "Told you so".
So sorry to hear this Cherra. I know right now you are very angry, and I also know that beneath that anger is a sadness and disappointment since it did not work out. Such a sad situation for everyone involved. Too bad alcohol was not banned from our society.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Big hugs to you and I would never tell anyone "I told you so", I wouldn't even say that to a fellow alcoholic.

You will always find support here, no matter what. Not judgements.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Read all over on SR, there's a lot of wisdom here. Counseling is a very wise suggestion.

Hugs!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

None of us is happy to hear of someone else's unhappiness. Some alcoholics DO get better, he just wasn't one of them.

It sounds like an horrible and upsetting event for all concerned. I'm so sorry it happened to you and your family.

Hugs,
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Double post strikes again, sorry.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

cherra....it is so calm and peaceful when the tide rolls out.
If one understands the way tide works and the predictable nature of it....one can expect it to come thundering...crashing on the shore, again with great intensity.

Cherra, are you preparing yourself for high tide?

dandylion
Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So sorry you and your daughter experienced that. No judgement here. I went back after a "trial separation" despite my gut telling me not to. I foolishly listened to other people pushing me to return. Long story short, nothing had changed except my willingness to live with an active alcoholic. I made the separation permanent a couple weeks after my return.
Hugs.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No judgement from me either. I stuck around for 25 years. I'm really sorry things happened the way that it did, but I am glad that you feel safe enough to come here to talk about things and to let us support you.

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No told ya so or judgements from me either. We all have to come to realizations in our own time.

Spit in your face, wow, what an A@@! I am so so sorry.

Tight hugs, we are here for you.

XXX
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That’s what’s so wonderful about SR – you are always welcomed back with open understanding and no judgments.

We all travel this path at our own pace in our own time learning as we go.

I am sorry you and your daughter experienced this. Maybe the both of you could begin al-anon together and work with supporting each other to gain your lives back after living with the effects of alcoholism.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know I always believed in you. I think you are very strong, you walked away when you knew you had to. I do admire your courage.

Keep strong

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
amy
Old 11-14-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone. I didn't mean like it sounded. I know that my situation was one of extreme danger and that those who came down on me pretty hard were really terrified that I would wind up dead. I really am at peace now. I think I always would have wondered if I hadn't gone back but it wasn't worth my daughter getting upset again. We are seeing a therapist. Lots of decisions to make about the house, money, etc. I am ready for the tide to come crashing in again (good analogy) but I'm not talking to him at all. He can leave a note or a voice mail. I'm not playing that game right now. Daughter has him blocked on her phone. Thank you all so much for your support!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good for you, Cherra!

dandylion
Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, cherra,

I just went back and read your previous posts--I've been around SR for a long time but just recently got back on the forums, so I missed reading what happened to you before.

I'm very glad you're safe. I have worked in DV professionally (retired DV prosecutor and still doing related work) for a very long time. Please feel free to pm me if there is anything you'd like to know about how protective orders and such work.

Also want you to know that even though you went back, it isn't too late for you to get an order if you want one. The court would consider the prior incident where he fired off the gun as well as this most recent incident.

A protective order's main advantage is that it would prevent him from contacting you at all--if he does, the police could make an immediate arrest before the situation escalated into something more serious.

I realize you might not be ready to do that just yet. I do hope, though, that you will contact the DV hotline. An advocate can help you do some safety planning, whether you get an order or not. It never hurts to have a professional help you with a plan--they aren't as close to the situation as you are, and they might think of suggestions you haven't thought of. It doesn't obligate you to do anything. Advocates understand very well the need you have to move at your own pace. They will encourage you to take steps to protect yourself but they won't push you to do anything you aren't ready to do.

Hugs,