Saturday thought: Easy Does It

Old 07-31-2004, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Saturday thought: Easy Does It

I like the Al-Anon slogan "Easy Does It." It reminds me that I am not in a race to get to a destination. Recovery is about the journey. Since I have always been my own worst critic, I use this slogan to remind myself that I am striving to learn to love and care for myself. I don't expect myself to be perfect, and I am going to make mistakes. I don't have to get impatient with myself. I realize that I am making progress. It took me all my life to develope the self destructive patterns that drove me to Al-Anon. I can relax and be gentle with myself while I am working to change those deeply ingrained patterns. Easy Does It teaches me that recovery should not be a punishment. It is a blessing that we recieve in God's time.

What does "Easy Does It" mean to you? How do you practice it? Are you being kind and gentle with yourself? Can you use this slogan today?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Easy does it for me means to stop trying to force solutions. It reminds me that doing nothing can be an action. I can take it easy and let life unfold the way it is suppose to. I can take some time to determine if a thing is my responsibility or not. I don't have to act today...or tomorrow for that matter. I can wait and take care of myself. The answer will come.

Life is less frustrating when I adopt an "Easy Does It" attitude.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-01-2004, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Easy Does It...well that would be when I take a step back, take a deep breath, and let the Universe unfold as it should.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Easy does it means to me that I need not to be so hard on myself all the time. I need to not fill my life with so many activities that i get so streesed out. I now my recovery is going good but lateky I need this East does it. I was moving to fast and I was working myself to hard and being to hard on myself. In the past week I have not been gentle with myself I have pust myself down more than once or twice probalbaly a hundred times this week but it was just a bad week. This week will be better I am going to be out of state with friends and away from my family I need a break from the chaoes.
Love,
Shana Great topic.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

To the top! This is going to get lost...
Old 08-01-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks, JT, I almost missed it.

Easy Does it...for me this means that I do nothing and make no decisions when I am feeling emotional, angry, very sad, or in any kind of emotional upheaval. It means that I do what I do when I am balanced and can just take my time to do it.

It means I am gentle with myself and forgiving of myself, and that I can be willing to just show up and let life happen.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-01-2004, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmmm "Easy does it" thats what I should be doing. Today I raced frantically around the house, clean clean clean, laundry to my ears, dirt everywhere blahhh. I found myself getting stressed, I only have tomorrow off and I have to go school shopping for my girls. I guess I should just slow down a bit. quit trying to put it all together in a little bit of time. Blah! I have to work when my next alanon meeting is, that sucks, oh well guess I'll go to my mother's group tomorrow night. Lord knows I need it. Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy lol. Hugs! Teggie
Old 08-02-2004, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

easy does it

i think this is one of the most challenging to me. being in the "caretaker" role for so long, i really have to concentrate on this and practice it more often. i hope with time and a few more al-anon meetings under my belt that i can feel more comfortable practicing this.

thx all for sharing yourselves

cwohio
Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I've Taken My Life Back!!

Please tell me more about easy does it? I am new to the forum, come from alcoholic family, have alcholic roommate, and went to my first AA meeting last night, (see my post under when is enough enough?) i am in Montana, so looking and searching for more info ....feel free to email me as well, or message me ..thank GOD for this forum and for you wonderful people!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love this topic. I'm training to run in a marathon right now and that means long periods of time of just me, my brain and a lot of sweating.

Yesterday, I started my run with my usual thoughts, I'm not strong enough, Can I finish this 11 miles? It's awfully hot out here, I don't think I can do it today. After a few miles I moved onto thoughts about being "normal" emotionally. I decided that I am me and that has to be OK with me. It's my soul, my actions, my heart and being me is OK normal or not.

I finished the run. It was hot, and it was difficult but I was strong enough and I am OK. Easy does it to me mean allowing yourself to experience your journey and being alright with the path it takes you.

Marci
Old 08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcinor
Easy does it to me mean allowing yourself to experience your journey and being alright with the path it takes you.
Thank you Marci, I love that.