Notices

Early sobriety food cravings?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
now's the time

Early sobriety food cravings?

Aside from sugar, anyone having really strong cravings for certain foods?

I ask because I've been making myself giant bowls of guacamole and eating it for lunch, which is not something I've ever done before. I've also started craving leafy greens like crazy. I do like greens but I've never been one to actually crave them. There are a few other things as well — dairy (milk/yogurt/cheese), fruit (esp. berries), and anything salty.

This all became super interesting when I started reading about certain vitamins/nutritional elements that can be depleted in alcoholics and realized that the foods I'm craving have lots of them.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do, your body is telling you what it needs to heal. Good stuff!!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I definitely craved sugars early on, but aside from general hunger that was borderline ravenous at times (I was also working out heavily), I don't recall specific cravings. I do tend to crave shellfish, sushi, seafood though. And that might be due to a Zinc deficiency, not sure?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Giant bowls of guacamole...YUM...

I believe that when we're listening to our body it gives us all the information we need to stay healthy. Your food desires are delicious and nutritious. When we clear the channel to our inner wisdom, the answers we receive - physically and emotionally - are spot on. We already know exactly what we have to do to take care of ourselves (even to knowing which people are safe and which are not), I think we've just muted all that information with alcohol, and now are hearing it again. You may be a particularly good listener...
Old 11-03-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know in early sobriety all i could managed was a half can of heinz chicken soup

then moved up to a full can i was like that for at least 10 days

btw i swear by chicken soup in times of illness lol

as for cravings containing vitimins i used to eat hovis wheatgerm bread packed full of bvits and then my doctor said your body could get more by taking supplements so i do that aswell

to get the best have an all round balanced diet with 2-3 exercise sessions a week
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

At first I craved a lot of 'hops & barley'- (Ok, bad joke)

I actually began eating much more fruit, perhaps for the sugar content. After I stopped drinking, I wanted to move towards a more healthy diet, so I don't know if it was actual cravings or just part of who I wanted to be. Once I stopped with all of the excess booze, my body just seemed to want healthier stuff. Perhaps it was my own body working on fixing all of the years of abuse.