Notices

Anxiety or alcoholic

Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Anxiety or alcoholic

Hi all really hope I can get some help here, hope you all haven't heard the same story loads if times, I'm a very happily married woman with 3 children, I have lots and lots of friends and am genuinely happy most of the time!! I have suffered anxiety for over four years, and will worry and panic!! I have been drinking since 18 I am now 30, my problem isn't that I drink everyday as I can go weeks or months between having a drink, it's that when I do I get so drunk and wake the next day feeling so poorly so it puts me off having a drink for weeks but then I'll get invited to a party or a friend will pop round with a few bottles if wine and that's me I'll keep drinking till I'm drunk as a skunk, I embarrass myself say stupid things then the next few days my anxiety is through the roof, I panic about everything I said or did!! My friends laugh and say I was fine, but deep down I know there thinking why does she keep drinking when she's drunk does she not know when to stop, and the answer is no!! The horrible thing is it only takes two glasses of wine and I'm
Drunk so why do I keep going? I want to say right that's it no more alcohol for me but I know I'll stay off it for few months then I'll get asked out and do it all over again, and spend the next day hungover and crippled with anxiety!! What can I do, if I carry on I think I'll loose my friends and do something stupid!!! Would love to hear your views, would also like to point out that with certain friends what I find embarrassing they don't and they are worse than me, but with others they have been mortified to see someone drink and keep drinking even when it's obvious I've had enough!! Thank u xxx
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mummy3x
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would also like to point out I get very over friendly kiss and cuddle my friends, say silly things, and the worst thing I did was flash my boobs, and that to mine is horrifically embarrassing !
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism isn't about how often you drink, or even how much. It's about what happens to you when you drink. Like you, I couldn't stop drinking once I started and I did things and said things that were inappropriate.

I would not focus on whether your friends drink more or less than you do. That's not important. And, I would not focus on what they say about your drinking. It sounds like drinking is causing you problems in your life and affecting your self-esteem. So, why continue drinking?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Because not all the time does it turn out where I'm legless sometimes I can have a few get merry and end the evening, it's that if I'm with friends who can drink loads and not change, I get drunk very quick and get stupid!! If I'm out my friends will drink all night I'll have 3 or four and be hammered!! How do they keep drinking and not change?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Mummy3x, welcome to SR.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mummy3x!!

For me alcohol was causing problems in my life too, and I needed to re evaluate my relationship with it, which lead to me parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, the guilt and anxiety after a night of drinking used to be crippling for me, whereas now I don't have to worry about what I did the night before, which brings with it a certain peace!!

Alcohol had become a habit for me, if there was a party happening I'd be there, if there was sport on I was there and drinking was naturally a part of everything I did on a social level, but it doesn't have to be, we can break that link and still enjoy ourselves without alcohol!!

It might be time to rethink things, but either way you'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Mummyx3, welcome

If your drinking is causing you problems, for whatever reason, then you could consider stopping.

You'll find lots of support and great resources here.

Have you thought about getting some help for your anxiety ? Your doctor or a counsellor may be able to help you.

There is lots of info on alcoholism here and on the net, which was really helpful when I decided I wanted to give up.

Glad you found us.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Mummy3x, I just wanted to say welcome! I'll also echo what 'JanieJ' said- If the booze is causing problems, then perhaps it's not for you.

I, too, suffered from some anxiety, which has disappeared for the most part after I quit drinking.

You've found a great forum here, so whatever you decide, you'll have a place for a lot of support.

Lusher

PS- I love the screen name. (Mummy3x) It makes sense.
..woman with 3 children,..
Old 11-02-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mummy3x and welcome to SR! I'm a mommy2x I hated everything about the hangovers and withdrawals but it was the anxiety that brought me hear a year and a half ago. My story sounds just like yours. I was a classic binge drinker. I chose to stop because of my two boys and because I couldn't handle the anxiety any longer -- it was that bad. And I just never want my boys to see me in that condition. I hope you stay around!! You're definitely not alone.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mummyx3 Welcome to SR and the forum

Just keep on trying immerse yourself in SR read and post youl find nothing but support

Were all with you
Old 11-02-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Mummyx3,

Everyone metabolizes alcohol differently. Some can drink and drink (me) and others can't tolerate more than a couple before they are visibly drunk. Personally, I'd change places in a heartbeat- maybe then I would have had someone intervene before I drank away so many years....

But, back to you. The important thing is that you recognize the problem exists and you have the desire to change it. Now, you need a plan. You don't have to drink, ever, ever again. This is fully within your power. If your friends come around with some bottles of booze, have something for yourself tucked away in the fridge- sparkling cider (non-alcoholic) sparkly water, fresh fruit juices. Be ready. Be ready to fight for your sobriety. Or, ask them to please not bring alcohol around. One thing is for sure- if the binging stops, the anxiety brought about because of it will surely stop as well. That sounds like a good deal to me!

I hope you figure things out. Please keep coming here and reading and posting. I can tell you this site saved my life. Best thing that could have happened to me. Maybe it will be the same for you!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
I, too, suffered from some anxiety, which has disappeared for the most part after I quit drinking.
I suffer from anxiety which (in my mind) causes me to drink. You say yours lessened after quitting? I go 2,3,4, days without drinking, and my anxiety is so much worse, so I drink again. When does the anxiety subside?
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Mammy3x....Your a binge drinker...Para alcoholic.Follow the advice given above by Viking.If you think there are further problems that exist because of alcohol or drug related Mood Swings and Excess anxiety....try AA....AlAnon or ACA.....Good Luck

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\sunny try Either of the above...If your addicted To Alcohol...Try AA...ACA...Once you start working on why you drink you may get Relief.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Mummy3x

Originally Posted by Mummy3x View Post
Because not all the time does it turn out where I'm legless sometimes I can have a few get merry and end the evening, it's that if I'm with friends who can drink loads and not change, I get drunk very quick and get stupid!! If I'm out my friends will drink all night I'll have 3 or four and be hammered!! How do they keep drinking and not change?
The thing is tho I could never be sure of whether I'd drink one or two or end up legless.

As the years worse on the times I could stop at one or two became less and less.....

Alcohol made me into someone I didn't want to be, so I stopped

I thought it would be the end of my life but it was the beginning really.

I re-discovered a me I'd forgotten about, and I left the embarrassments behind.

I also found that, eventually, my anxiety lessened a lot too when I stayed sober.

D
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sunny06 View Post
I suffer from anxiety which (in my mind) causes me to drink. You say yours lessened after quitting? I go 2,3,4, days without drinking, and my anxiety is so much worse, so I drink again. When does the anxiety subside?
Hi Sunny

It depends on the individual. If your anxiety started after you started drinking then stopping drinking should see a gradual improvement....

but if your anxiety predates your drinking, and contributed to your drinking, then the likelihood is it's not going to go away on its own and I think it's wise to see your Dr and ask for help.

D
Old 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by micealc View Post
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\sunny try Either of the above...If your addicted To Alcohol...Try AA...ACA...Once you start working on why you drink you may get Relief.
what is ACA? I googled it and I got the "Alberta Cheerleading Association!! (I'm in Canada) Don't think that will help my drinking much
Old 11-02-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Adult Children of Alcoholics.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for all your messages they really so help!! To answer some of your questions, my anxiety and panic attacks are not related to alcohol, what happens is the day after drinking my anxiety gets worse, I dwell over everything I said or did hate myself for drinking and genially feel ashamed, even when my friends husband say u did nothing wrong!! But I know I act so different I become loud and over friendly which I find embarrassing!! Whether I stopped drinking tomorow I will still have anxiety which I take medication for and am currently receiving CBT!! The problem is I need to stop drinking once I'm tipsy so I don't get too drunk in order not to have anxiety so bad the next day, but like someone said in reply to my post, if I stop drinking I don't have to wake up feeling scared of what u did the night before!!! Xxxx