Notices

Almost 9 weeks and struggling

Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 9 weeks and struggling

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I have posted here. I thought that I was doing ok then I got hit by a ton of bricks yesterday. I don't know if it's b/c I've been having bad days at work, or the fact that I have a constant cough at night so I'm not sleeping, or if it's just "that time of year", but, I've been craving like crazy! The only thing that stopped me from getting a drink yesterday was thinking that I have an awards ceremony for my son the next morning and I didn't want to be hungover! Ugh! I do have to say, when I woke up this am, the craving is gone, but, I'm afraid that it will rear it's ugly head later! I was working out so that was helping me with the urges but I've stopped b/c I've been feeling so bad with colds, coughs, stomach bugs, etc., the past couple of weeks! When will all of this go away??? I'm starting to get discouraged!! Please help!!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trying

I'm sorry you're struggling.

It varies from person to person but most of us have to deal with cravings for a while, especially if we're stressed or sick or tired or any one of the 100s of reasons we used to drink for...

My advice is don't underestimate this thing - use the support you have, keep fighting the cravings (good tips here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html) and...please don't get discouraged

I dunno about you but I drank for years - it's going to take a little longer than 9 weeks...but you will get better with dealing with cravings and things will get better overall

None of us would stay in recovery if we felt we lost out on the deal

keep the faith - and hope you feel better soon

D
Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Trying

I'm sorry you're struggling.

It varies from person to person but most of us have to deal with cravings for a while, especially if we're stressed or sick or tired or any one of the 100s of reasons we used to drink for...

My advice is don't underestimate this thing - use the support you have, keep fighting the cravings (good tips here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html) and...please don't get discouraged

I dunno about you but I drank for years - it's going to take a little longer than 9 weeks...but you will get better with dealing with cravings and things will get better overall

None of us would stay in recovery if we felt we lost out on the deal

keep the faith - and hope you feel better soon

D
Exactly this
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
Our alcoholism tendencies do not go away just because we stopped drinking for awhile. This dis-ease is part of us for life as it’s progressive in it’s nature.
In many years of observation work and change will result in a life that’s desirable with the majority. A couple things that help is being honest with our self about our drinking and accepting we cannot drink in safety.
For me that obsession to drink was short circuited by NOT thinking about drinking, think about anything else instead. Drinking sugar drinks along with exercise do also.
This is something that has to be addressed on a daily basis because too many forget “remember when” it was so bad or start romanticizing drinking.

BE WELL
Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was suggested to me early on..... to.....

Don't Think, Don't Drink and Go To Meetings

For me, in early recovery, I took many
of those suggestion seriously as my life
depended on it. I was taught about the
AA program when I was in rehab back
in 1990. It has worked for me for the
past 24 yrs and still today.

It is an affective program consisting of
steps and principles to incorporate in my
daily life. Support and fellowship in recovery
has been important in helping me remain
sober each day. It reminds me that I am
truly never alone in my quest to achieve
health, happiness and honesty within my
life.

I too had 2 little ones when I began my
journey in recovery and allowed me to
be present for all those special accomplishments
and achievements they wanted to share
with me as their mom.

You can too.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are struggling. For years my "go to" for colds, stomach bugs, etc. was to reach for a drink. Lately it's DayQuil and rest. Your cravings could be triggered by any number of things. Change in seasons hits me hard too when the days are colder and the nights longer. It helps me to recognize that it will happen. I reach out more for support. I can't do this alone no matter how much I like to pretend. No matter how hard it may be, or how much I don't feel like talking to anyone or coming on here, I do it. Especially when I don't want to.

Hang in there. It passes. Good for you in not drinking.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This too shall pass. Keep on keepin' on. It will get better.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if this helps, you are going through a healing crisis and will come out stronger if you stay the course. It's good that you recognised your discouragement because it then won't define you. I want you to stay sober. thank you for being honest. You deserve joy and happiness, hate the grog.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there and keep pushing through!!

You can do this!!