Notices

Can anyone relate?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can anyone relate?

I Am still really new to this not drinking / sobriety process only just into 2nd week but I've noticed an odd thought popping up.

It goes something like- " you've done this job during the day, you've been to work, you've done house tasks, you've exercised, you've spent time with family / friends / kids, you've eaten. Now, it's time to get drunk, to pass out- that is the next stage, so you need to go and do it, and if you don't do it, you'll just be stuck in this constant loop of life, tasks you have to do and you get no break from"

I am fully aware that alcohol will never provide the relief from the stresses of life although it's almost like it has been the tool for the last few years to escape.

It's like a restlessness that won't go away, can anyone relate? What are some of the things that may help or even replace these feelings?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we do need to replace alcohol with new things in our lives, people and things that we enjoy.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 10-28-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

What Anna said + link

Exellent
Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post. Do you have access to a support group? That will not only occupy your excess time, it will pay huge dividends in your recovery, if that is what you choose. Always a choice.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 10-28-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really like the idea of a support group. I will have to research in my area.

I've almost accessed people I see day to day as support without them even having knowledge of my issue , or that they are actively supporting me which I know sounds odd but I find by immersing myself in helping others out, I am often able to focus less on myself and think more outwardly (although I'm only just getting on to this as I've been introverted for way too long)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are describing. Like life is just one big loop of tedious and meaningless chores, work, errands, and responsibilities. Where's the fun? Yea, fun=getting drunk, right? I think we have to learn to redefine what it means to relax and have fun.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Any habit is going to take time to break, every evening after work I'd drink myself into bed, wake up and life would continue, the never ending cycle can also be never-ending, alcohol doesn't necessarily equate to freedom from the daily grind.

However like any habit or routine it can be replaced, new evening activities, new routines, we can learn new ones to replace the old!!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stewy, I did feel that way early on - but the restless feeling faded and left at some point. We're learning to live in a whole new way. Things will ease up and feel better as you get some sober time behind you.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate because working and going through the motions of life/living led me to the daily 'ahh' moment of drinking my wine. It was like I deserved it or earned it. Nothing else in life gave me such joy and satisfaction as creating my drinking time. I lived for the drinking times. Now I'm away from that cycle that went on every day for years and I have adjusted. I enjoy those seemingly mundane or repetitive jobs that are our lives. It has been a difficult path but you do change as you break up with your relationship with alcohol. Other things become important to you. You learn to appreciate the simple and seemingly dull moments in life as being the very essence of life. What I used to think was boring and would want to drink to make it seem more exciting is now rich and satisfying and a far more enjoyable experience sober.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate, to what you wrote. I always thought ok now it is "my time". Everything is done and I need a little fun. What helps me is to dissect what I was actually doing, it was my time, but was I really having fun. At first yes, then no, then hell not it was not fun anymore. The four hours of blissful not caring about anything was coupled tih 12 to 30 hours of feeling like crap, hangover, self loathing, and a lack of interest in the "fun stuff" in life. You know, the things you used to like to do before the drink had so much power. I got to a point all I wanted to do was drink and did not want to do anything else, unless it included drink.

It takes time to develop these old passions, and I am still far from where I want to be. But these are few things better than really enjoying something because you can do it since you are not sick or drunk.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awhile ago I may have agreed, but the drink wasn't a break anymore. It was the thing I wanted to get away from. Just sit with your sobriety, find something you enjoy doing, and do it. Changing up the routine was the hardest thing for me. I'm all caught up in movies now, and I remember the ends!!!

Good for you on your sober time. Be very proud.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate so much. I'm only on day 5 and I have had that feeling already. When I was drinking, the drinking part at the end of the day was the finale for me - a conclusion. I still have that thinking. Work hard, play hard. (except "play"means drink). I am slowly learning how to say no to my AV/self. One day at a time.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Replace the drinking with AA meetings. It will help you immensely !
Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stewy

No offence cos I'm laughing at myself here, but only an alcoholic could come up with the concept of being rewarded for day to day living...
and having that reward be so self-destructive.

There are other ways to relax, wind down and use that free time. You will figure it out, I promise - just don't listen to that voice. It lies

D
Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes definitely relate. That will go away. It takes time to replace old thought patterns with new ones. Just keep doing the right actions- staying sober. The old thought pattern will wear itself out over time. I agree that a support group is a wonderful thing for recovery.